I give up !!!

kennym4

Registered
So for the last few months I've been wanting to improve on my riding, mostly with the twisty stuff. Well I went on a ride in the begining of the summer, and everyone there had 750's, and under.(mostly 600's) Well we were riding in West Chester PA, on some pretty tight turns, and I kind of let my ego take control of the bike.("I'm not going to be last") And I wasn't !! Not only was I not last, I was first, FIRST TO CRASH !! (dumb a$$) I went into a turn too hot, hit some gravel, and my front tire washed out. I know there's not too much you can do in that situation, but had I been going slower who knows. Well I was able to limp home on my bike, with my tail between my legs, and about $800.00 got my bike almost back to how it was before the spill.
    Since this happened I told myself I still had a lot to learn, DUH !! So I've been spending most of my riding in the"back roads", and reading all the tips on here, and else where, on how to lean. (the right way) Well I found out I wasn't leaning my body like I should. (sitting up,and not leaning forward, only to the side) Once I started to do this I was able to turn better.(no pro, or anything speacial)
  So this morning I head out to work on my skill,(yeah right) I'm on a narrow road hitting the turns, feeling kind of proud of myself, start to push it a little. Well THANK GOD it was cold, because I slowed down to warm up. The speed limit was 30, I was doing about 35. I go into a turn, and what do I find in the appex.....yup GRAVEL. Instant panic, grab a hand full of front brake, now my life didn't flash in front of me as these trees were coming at me FAST, but what happened in June did !! So I let go of the front brake, and just as I went into the other lane the tires bit, and I somehow kept the bike up ? For a split second I thought yeah I'm the man, then it hit me, I was TOTALY in the opposite lane !! THANK GOD (AGAIN) it was cold, (made me slow down) it was early Sunday morning (no traffic) because ANY other day that road is filled with cars !! So I came straight home !!

I know I just wrote a novel, but is there ANY info you can give me, on PANIC situations That can keep me from doing the "WHOAAAA HORSEY" (where you are now just along for the ride) It's kind of imbarassing admiting that your not as good a rider as you'd like to think, but oh well, I guess if everybody had it mastered there would be no Nicky Haden, or Ben Spies.........right ?

Thanks
rant.gif

What are some other things to look out for on "the back roads" besides gravel, and wet leaves ?

Get a copy of the book "A twist of the wrist II" and read it several times. Practice what he preaches. I've been riding Approx. 45 years and haven't crashed one yet, and I learned some very helpful concepts from this book. The problem of practicing without the right knowledge, is that you may be practicing things that are not correct for the situation. Good luck and ride safe.

Yep, deer! Almost got me one two weeks ago. Missed Bambi, but was way wide in the turn to make it and lowsided it. I think most good riders would tell you not to push it on roads you have not checked first for gravel, debris, critters etc. If you want to push it, best way is to do a track day. No matter what your skill level, I have been riding for 45 years, if you don't know what the road condition is in front of you, you better be prepaired for the worst.

Twist does have some good points and will make for some good reading.

The best place to work on your skills is a track day. You will learn more at one than many years of street riding.

Yep, +1 on the track days. It will cost some bucks for the approved gear and all, but a couple of track days can do wonders for your confidence and skill level.

Kenny !! yeah the best thing is YOU admitt and understand your limitations and are willing to learn..
I heard twist the wrist is a great book !! We did one better we went to Keith Codes school last year...... the 2 day course at VIR
BEST thing you could ever do !!!!!! worth EVERY dollar
I just wrote busafett about the samething.
heck use you tax refund or what ever you can do and GO !!
www.superbikeschool.com
look at the site and read !! They have panic bike, lean bike, bs bike etc...
I'm not much on reading and this is hands on at a race track, controlled enviroment and one on one instruction..Got an hour to talk about it call us
super.gif

"twist of the wrist II" is a helpful book, and knowing the road you're on helps. although i would'nt "race" on the streets spirited riding with knowing the roads is fun.

beerchug.gif

(GSXcite @ Sep. 16 2007,05:47) Yep, deer! Almost got me one two weeks ago. Missed Bambi, but was way wide in the turn to make it and lowsided it. I think most good riders would tell you not to push it on roads you have not checked first for gravel, debris, critters etc. If you want to push it, best way is to do a track day. No matter what your skill level, I have been riding for 45 years, if you don't know what the road condition is in front of you, you better be prepaired for the worst.
+1, Not checking the road 1st has almost got me a couple of times. Couple of times I was just a dumba$$.

Thanks people, this road couldn't have been worse for what I was trying to do, ther was a driveway like every 35 yards. Trak day seems the way to go, that way I can worry about what I'm doing, instead of the other cars, gravel, deer, cat's dog's, and horse poop !!

I still can't believe I stay'ed upright ? And when it's over you have time to think about it. Like how many other people had the same thing happen to them, and a car comming the other way took'em out, FOR GOOD ?

You can borrow my copy of twist of the wrist 2. If you are going to ride hard on public roads you should either know them very very well or do a once over to make sure their is no debris, outdoor birthday parties whatever... You will find all kinds of things that will try to kill you besides cars... Turtles have almost gotten me...

(jessup @ Sep. 16 2007,10:45) You can borrow my copy of twist of the wrist 2.  If you are going to ride hard on public roads you should either know them very very well or do a once over to make sure their is no debris, outdoor birthday parties whatever... You will find all kinds of things that will try to kill you besides cars...  Turtles have almost gotten me...
A turtle ? like a mini speed bump. LOL.

Back