Hypothetical riding scenario/crash or advance unscathed

That's how a lot of roads are where I am too, I'm just a couple of hours from you. To me, that environment obviously isn't safe to do 70 in, because you don't have sufficient field of view. I assumed the original question took conditions into consideration.
Right. the speed limit on this particular road is 35MPH, most are 55 MPH. This is just a fun twisty road to ride on. But I get over 35. You have to be careful because you can go around a corner and a car will be backing out of a driveway, a bunch of bicyclists, or a deer in the road.

How far ahead do you guys look when riding? Do you only focus on the road itself? Do you not look at the shoulders, driveways, trees etc that are ahead? A dog or deer doesn't just materialize out of thin air.

But they do actually. Happened to me several times but luckily they weren’t crossing right in front. With over 300k on two wheels I guess I look far enough ahead of me (some) of the time.:) BTW, WTH are you doing up? I have insomnia from time to time but you guys? I don’t mean the down under friends either.

If you can only see 15 feet ahead why are you going 70? That's like out driving your headlights at night....

No we’re not blind after 15 feet and everyone drives out of our headlights. A suddenly appearing hazard within our braking zone regardless of our speed means trouble.

But they do actually. Happened to me several times but luckily they weren’t crossing right in front. With over 300k on two wheels I guess I look far enough ahead of me (some) of the time.:) BTW, WTH are you doing up? I have insomnia from time to time but you guys? I don’t mean the down under friends either.
California dogs must have special powers.....
Hazards are like cops, it's the ones you don't see that get ya.
I get up at 5 typically.

No we’re not blind after 15 feet and everyone drives out of our headlights. A suddenly appearing hazard within our braking zone regardless of our speed means trouble.
I guess I'm just different. I don't out drive my headlights, out here in the sticks that's a recipe for disaster.

You must drive/ride very slow then. And I live in the sticks, deer, bobcats, coons, elk, possums, mountain lions, and a few thousand squirrels, although I don’t try avoiding them. Dogs seem more prevalent outside of California but I’ve only ridden in eleven states. I’d have to count but I’ve probably driven thru forty states w/o hitting any of them.

Oh I speed, but not when I can't see. I've not ridden as much of the country as you, but I have hundreds of thousands of miles of professional driving experience.

At five yard if the dog is directly in front of you at 65 miles an hour you will not have time to react and you will hit the dog.

If a rider can't react and avoid at 70 they have no business on a bike.
Average visual reaction time is .25 seconds
103 feet per second at 70 mph
5 yards, 15 feet before you hit the dog.
.14 seconds to impact.
you WILL hit the dog

cheers
ken

How far ahead do you guys look when riding? Do you only focus on the road itself? Do you not look at the shoulders, driveways, trees etc that are ahead? A dog or deer doesn't just materialize out of thin air.
Deer are remarkable well camouflaged they can be unseen and bolt of the brush directly into your path leaving you no time to react regardless of how far and how well you are scanning ahead.

Deer are remarkable well camouflaged they can be unseen and bolt of the brush directly into your path leaving you no time to react regardless of how far and how well you are scanning ahead.
I'm aware. I live in southern Illinois, literally one of the best deer hunting areas in the country.

Average visual reaction time is .25 seconds
103 feet per second at 70 mph
5 yards, 15 feet before you hit the dog.
.14 seconds to impact.
you WILL hit the dog

cheers
ken
Again, if your field of vision only extends 15 feet ahead of you, you shouldn't be going 70.

Not many clear and open areas where I ride there’s usually trees on both sides not to mention steep drop offs into the abyss if you miss Lol, I wish I had more corn fields to run into if ever needed.

BB8DE481-951C-4C39-8923-1722134D35E7.jpeg

5BAACC73-2FE1-4E7B-9378-0B17F1CB32C8.jpeg

That's some nice swervery , right there !!
You got that right! I love it but you do have to keep your vision on point and Head on a swivel, dogs, cats, deer, bears, all sorts of critters, gravel, sticks and debris when it rains heavily, the occasional antifreeze spill from the overheated truck etc

Back