Hypothetical riding scenario/crash or advance unscathed

Tached1300

Registered
Say you are traveling at a reasonably moderate speed 65-70 mph on a two lane road one direction in each way, with no traffic and all of a sudden a good sized dog (say 65lbs) sprints out directly in front of you, leaving roughly 5 yards between you and the dog? What course of action will you take?

Last edited:
Say you are traveling at a reasonably moderate speed 65-70 mph on a two lane road one direction I’m each way, with no traffic and all of a sudden a good sized dog (say 65lbs) sprints out directly in front of you, leaving roughly 5 yards between you and the dog? What course of action will you take?
immediate reaction would be braking...not sure if my instinct would make me try to go around that dog at that speed.
Braking as hard as I can - hit the dog- try not to fall off.... in that order...!

Been there done that . killed two deer on different trips . Keep it straight up , and down . Punch them hard .
I stayed up on both . Still major damage to bikes , but rode both home half way across the US for the DR650.
Deer are larger than most dogs ;)

This is one of the animals hair stuck in my jeans after the hit in Virginia on White top Mountain .

100_0994.jpg

Say you are traveling at a reasonably moderate speed 65-70 mph on a two lane road one direction in each way, with no traffic and all of a sudden a good sized dog (say 65lbs) sprints out directly in front of you, leaving roughly 5 yards between you and the dog? What course of action will you take?

You’re new to motorcycling aren’t you? :) I try to avoid anything that won’t fit on a dinner plate either by braking or swerving.

I’ve had some close calls with dogs, deer, and there was those two times around the corner with a cow in the road and another time some bear cubs lol. I’ve only hit a squirrel on two occasions thus far and a couple of snakes.

I ran over 2 rabbits that just seemed to make a suicide run toward my front wheel. I was going 55-60. I felt a little bump. I did not try to swerve. I had a close call with deer and rut season is coming soon.

Come on now, that’s over 100 feet per second or over six car lengths every second. If the hazard suddenly appears inside your braking zone you’re gonna hit it.
It was stated 5 yards, that’s 15 feet, at 70mph you can’t do anything except hang on.
How far ahead do you guys look when riding? Do you only focus on the road itself? Do you not look at the shoulders, driveways, trees etc that are ahead? A dog or deer doesn't just materialize out of thin air.

How far ahead do you guys look when riding? Do you only focus on the road itself? Do you not look at the shoulders, driveways, trees etc that are ahead? A dog or deer doesn't just materialize out of thin air.

A lot of the roads around where I live are like the one below from my ride yesterday. The trees are right next to the road and the deer can seem to come from nowhere. Also if you see one there are probably more behind them. Especially during rut season.
Ride9_5.JPG

A lot of the roads around where I live are like the one below from my ride yesterday. The trees are right next to the road and the deer can seem to come from nowhere. Also if you see one there are probably more behind them. Especially during rut season.
View attachment 1604496
That's how a lot of roads are where I am too, I'm just a couple of hours from you. To me, that environment obviously isn't safe to do 70 in, because you don't have sufficient field of view. I assumed the original question took conditions into consideration.

Back