AMOS Course (Advanced Motorcycle Operators School)

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Well,
Here goes. So in the Marine Corps (and I am sure every other service as well) they have changed the rules on motorcycle safety and training - truely for the better in my opinion. But, one of the changes is that they require refresher training (a course), every three years. Another change was the introduction of truely advanced training for sportbikes, specifically.

So - in 2007, I was part of the initial offering of the Keith Code California Superbike School AMOS course; AMOS stands for Advanced Motorcycle Operators School and is named after Marine General Amos who launched the couse while Assistant Commandant.

Well, a lot has happened since then for me - and I have been working to rebuild my skills - I have posted a couple of pics from Advanced Rider Track Days (a military version of a trackday - a lot of fun actually!)

But this last weekend, I got the opportunity to attend the AMOS course a second time... Hey - three year refresher right?

Here was how the program worked - 2 day schedule with a third day for rain contigency.

Day 1.
Tech Inspection. As soon as I rolled up, two coaches came up to me and asked me about coming back through. I towed the clinic (just in case) and rolled Bessie out and down. Appearently, in the first few classes that they did, I was the only Marine Busa to take the course, but probably most siginifcantly, the first time that I had taken the course, I had the worst 60 MPH stopping distance in the class on day 1; and consequently the largest improvement for day 2.

Who is this?

keith Code.jpg

This is Keith's mode of choice for transportation...

So, first up in our day's events (following the Technical briefings and welcome comments) was an excercise in hard and quick braking at 40, 50 and 60 MPH. Taking a base line measurement for distance and then working on technique.

Next was a quick steering drill to work on fluidity of body movement at 20, 25 and 30 MPH (sort of a slalom course).

We did some work with a brake rigged bike designed to practice locking the front brake (it is fitted with outriggers to prevent side to side tip).

brake bike.jpeg

Then, to the Lean angle bike (an S1000RR - yeeeeeee!) This one has a rig to prevent the bike from falling and lowsiding:

lean angle bike.jpg

Then on to what was called "Route 66", which is where there is a lane about the width of a four lane highway with alternating cones, just checking for comfort and control at increasing speeds. The first go, you follow the control rider out and back, then the next go out, they follow you. Here are two pics - the first is coming back from the observation ride, the second is me leading him out:

route 66 rtn.jpg

Route 66.jpg

keith Code.jpg

brake bike.jpeg

lean angle bike.jpg

route 66 rtn.jpg

Route 66.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2.
Final braking distance check... same as Day 1, but after the front brake locking drills... cut 12, 10 and 18 meters off my 40, 50 and 60 MPH distances.

In a suspension class, they brought a bike in and showed the different adjustments and how to make them (and why)... guess which bike they picked?

suspension class.jpg

After the class, the chief mechaninc for California Superbike School, Will, took a close look at Bessie. I moved her outside and back to my group ... next thing you know:

KC on Bessie.jpg

Then road course work:
My top speed on this short road course was about 70 on the GPS. I have a couple of pics and this was a great flat course. Below is coming out of a decreasing radius turn. Behind me is a yellow R6 (not in the picture) and a gray CBR...

Decreasing radius.jpg

I am trying to catch an '04 Blu/Sil that started three bikes ahead of me on the course. This is coming out of a nice chicane (now you can see the R6):

through the chicane.jpg

This is not a good pic, but does show what happens to the contact patch in a good lean...

contact patch.jpg

This is the next picture in a great double apex - my favorite shot... very similar to a picture from the last rider class I took a few weeks ago:

double apex.jpg

And, at the end of the weekend - the best shot of all:

KC and MCM.jpeg.jpg

suspension class.jpg

KC on Bessie.jpg

Decreasing radius.jpg

through the chicane.jpg

contact patch.jpg

double apex.jpg

KC and MCM.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Eureka! Thanks for the help Coleslaw! So, who does MCM turn to for tech advice? OMAR ! :cheerleader:

Im so jealous shawn... i missed my course this morning. my bike stopped running last night as the thread i posted said... ive narrowed it down to bad gas or clogged fuel filter..
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
So mad i could make it to thise course

coolness! the lean angle bike would be fun to ride in a wet weather and sandy road turn configuration just to really learn your maximum limitations and how far they really are even in less than desirable road conditions. it really teaches you proper throttle through the turn and how upsetting the suspension mid corner in a situation like that can cause loss of control.

Back