hypothetical 1441 power question

Argilbertson

Registered
Here's a purely hypothetical question for all you big bore gearheads here...

Say someone got a completely stock busa and did a 1441 kit on it...with NO other mods, what kind of HP #s would we reasonably expect to see?

1441 with a stock head or cams would be a complete waste of money. That's like buying a alpine deck and using kraco speakers :rofl:

I did a 1441, but also did head work. You need it to breathe. You could do a intake cam swap..but you will leave a lot of hp on the table.

I got 217hp on my 1441 with head work.

wht kind of headwork are we talking about here? Would it be as extreme as a full p&p with oversize radiused valves and aftermarket cams, or could you get away with an intake cam and some mild valvetrain mods?

Stay with standard valves. Cams would be good. P&P good. New big cams bring new springs. Valve job good. High lift cams bring pressed guides, I also went with titanium retainers

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

oooh...pretty.... :drool: So stock valves, but HD springs and retainers, along with a mild p&p to clean up the flow...doesn't sound too terribly radical overall :)

how bad are the heads in terms of p&ping? are we just removing casting flaw and seams, or are we really reshaping the chambers a bunch? somewhere in between?

Sorry about all the questions, never really gotten my hands dirty on this kind of thing, so I figure I'd better know exactly what the "lay of the land" is on these bikes. :)

There are some flow characteristics that are achieved/changed with the P&P work. I sent mine off and had it done.

Here's a purely hypothetical question for all you big bore gearheads here...

Say someone got a completely stock busa and did a 1441 kit on it...with NO other mods, what kind of HP #s would we reasonably expect to see?

How do you mean "no" other mods?? like stock exhaust,stock airbox? With a stock everything 1441 I wouldnt be shocked too see 170-180whp.... the torque would be higher of coarse.. probably 10wtq torque over a gen 1 busa.. Your power range would probably come down as well.. A 1441 would require more air so the cams and head would cause it to suffer on the top end.

Not that you are trying to compare a zx14r vs a hayabusa 1441 but too be clear........ A zx14r comes from the factory with a hand ported head and cams... its basicly a fully done motor that they choked down with a restrictive exhaust. A stock hayabusa doesnt have the head or cams to take advantage of a 1441 in stock form... a gen 2 does have a better flowing head then a gen 1 but not one like the zx14r.

Now talking about what a 1441 will make.....well that depends on the builder,tuner,dyno,setup etc etc etc... We have a bike at the shop that has a 1441cc,stock unported head,intake cam on the exhaust and web 395 on the intake. At 70" long {yes the longer you go the more power you lose too the wheel}. the bike has made 217whp/126wtq on q16 {too much octane} 226whp/131wtq on ms109 and 227whp/134wtq on mr12.. Im sure with a head the bike would gain another 10-12whp.

wow, I'm surprised that people are still throwing in their opinions on this old thread! That's awesome! :thumbsup: This was mostly an attempt to get an idea of how the busa would compare to the 14 on an equal displacement level (which I consider to be a more fair comparison of potential; you dont generally compare 4 cylinders to V12's either :laugh:)...seems like the busa is still a very competitive machine on a per cc basis! :) :thumbsup:

wow, I'm surprised that people are still throwing in their opinions on this old thread! That's awesome! :thumbsup: This was mostly an attempt to get an idea of how the busa would compare to the 14 on an equal displacement level (which I consider to be a more fair comparison of potential; you dont generally compare 4 cylinders to V12's either :laugh:)...seems like the busa is still a very competitive machine on a per cc basis! :) :thumbsup:

The gen 2 busa still holds its own!!! There are light Pro riders that have been 8.8's on a SWB full bolton gen 2 busa... where the fastest swb full bolton zx14r with Jeremy Tealsey riding has gone 8.70's..

Not too bad for a gen 2 busa with 4yr tech, 1340cc,unported head with stock or small cams vs a 1441,hand ported head and cams... So far the fastest full bolton stretched,air shifter,yada,yada,yada.... zx14r is Lee P's which has been 8.4's and JT's ridden a gen 2 to 8.4's as well...

I wont lie the zx14r is a killer deal for everything you get from the factory, especially for the price in comparsion too the Hayabusa Pricing. You couldnt build a 1441cc,ported head and cams for the difference in what they cost new. Personally I hate the looks of the ZX14 both gen 1 and gen 2..

The zx14r is really doing better with the heavier riders that need the torque... Down here in Texas racing bikes is like being on a greedy dyno thanks to the insane humidty and temp changes... They zx14r's are not pulling down low 9's stock or high 8's with full boltons... Most are running gen 2 busa times with equal mph... We have a local track pro rider that owns both a gen 2 swb bolton busa and a zx14r swb with boltons... He has run a best of 8.8@158 on the busa and a 9.1@153 on the zx14r.

But!!!! remember this..............................facts are facts!! There are still three 6 second hayabusas and one 6 second cbr1000rr...... The quickest zx14 still runs in the 7.1's... And that bike had Jeremy Teasley on it!!! Just saying!! People act like the new zx14r will change the face of motorcycle racing... all the zx14r is , is a modded up gen1 zx14 which has been out since 2006... many many people have modded them too the hilt...ie crank,ported heads,cams,etc,etc... The new zx14r will not yield 2200cc or make 270whp with full bolt ons... It will do the same thing a gen 1 zx14 will do with the same mods.....the bigger crank,ported head and cams are just done from the factory...

Too answer the orignal questions.. typically a done up 1441 will make 220-240whp depending on fuel and who builted it.....

The gen 2 busa still holds its own!!! There are light Pro riders that have been 8.8's on a SWB full bolton gen 2 busa... where the fastest swb full bolton zx14r with Jeremy Tealsey riding has gone 8.70's..

Not too bad for a gen 2 busa with 4yr tech, 1340cc,unported head with stock or small cams vs a 1441,hand ported head and cams... So far the fastest full bolton stretched,air shifter,yada,yada,yada.... zx14r is Lee P's which has been 8.4's and JT's ridden a gen 2 to 8.4's as well...

I wont lie the zx14r is a killer deal for everything you get from the factory, especially for the price in comparsion too the Hayabusa Pricing. You couldnt build a 1441cc,ported head and cams for the difference in what they cost new. Personally I hate the looks of the ZX14 both gen 1 and gen 2..

The zx14r is really doing better with the heavier riders that need the torque... Down here in Texas racing bikes is like being on a greedy dyno thanks to the insane humidty and temp changes... They zx14r's are not pulling down low 9's stock or high 8's with full boltons... Most are running gen 2 busa times with equal mph... We have a local track pro rider that owns both a gen 2 swb bolton busa and a zx14r swb with boltons... He has run a best of 8.8@158 on the busa and a 9.1@153 on the zx14r.

But!!!! remember this..............................facts are facts!! There are still three 6 second hayabusas and one 6 second cbr1000rr...... The quickest zx14 still runs in the 7.1's... And that bike had Jeremy Teasley on it!!! Just saying!! People act like the new zx14r will change the face of motorcycle racing... all the zx14r is , is a modded up gen1 zx14 which has been out since 2006... many many people have modded them too the hilt...ie crank,ported heads,cams,etc,etc... The new zx14r will not yield 2200cc or make 270whp with full bolt ons... It will do the same thing a gen 1 zx14 will do with the same mods.....the bigger crank,ported head and cams are just done from the factory...

Too answer the orignal questions.. typically a done up 1441 will make 220-240whp depending on fuel and who builted it.....

What part of texas are you in. Im looking to hit the track up

Great Thread! With luck, Im picking up a 09 Busa this weekend with a 1441 Motor. Cams were picked and bike was tuned for Land Speed Racing. Tuned to run on 87 fuel, its pushing 210/120.

Great Thread! With luck, Im picking up a 09 Busa this weekend with a 1441 Motor. Cams were picked and bike was tuned for Land Speed Racing. Tuned to run on 87 fuel, its pushing 210/120.

Why 87 fuel? Pump or MR? ???

Back