Big Bore 1441 vs. Big Bore 1418 ZX-14 what are the differences

GPW

Donating Member
Registered
I though this would be a cool thread in this section. I am in the process of building my second 1418 and my third 1441.

Just as a little history because we all get caught up in numbers.........we have a pretty consistent dyno, same bike pulled on five seperate days pulled the same number.

The 1418 is a ZX-14 power plant, the 14 starts with a 84MM bore (2MM stroke would be a mean combo). A 1418 CC is a 2MM overbore for those that do not know.

A customer V. Kersh had a 1418 built by Bryan Snyder at that time of (Quantum Motorsports), great guy according to Vic. I have never met the guy and can't speak of him. Vic picked the bike up from Atco and a few weeks later brought it in for a dyno pull. No tuning or tweaking the bike made 196HP and 114 foot pounds of torque on our dyno. Vic's bike made 212 and 117 foot pounds of torque on Bryan's dyno.

As a comparision a stock piped and tuned best power 14 makes 181 on average 177HP.

The very first 1418 I built made 195 HP on our dyno. My last (3rd.) 1441 Busa made 214-216 on my dyno, should pull stronger elsewhere. Using a ton of things learned from the Busa I want to make the most reliable power out of this same 1418 and even more from my third 1441.

A 1450 CC motor KWS built for me in 2006 made 210 on our dyno.

Thought I would invite who ever has an interest. All just for some history.

So...........to the motor build. When this is all said and done we will take these bikes out to the strip for some testing with average guys weighing the same with 1.5 60 foot times.

Last edited:
The big differences between the two motors is the block. You can snatch the head off a Busa and the jugs and make it an over bore in five hours with no other changes. The ZX-14 requires the entire block to be torn down just to get a the pistons or to change out a rod.

The bottom end of a 14. Stock rods are good for about 320 HP.

100_0866.jpg

100_0867-1.jpg

100_0868.jpg

100_0869.jpg

100_0905.jpg

100_0906.jpg

100_0907.jpg

100_0908.jpg

100_0911.jpg

Last edited:
Don't think i understand why the 1418 zx puts down 280 and the 1441 Busa only 210????
Not sure where I typed 280 but it should read 195's. I would like to see a little more but we can't get the piston any closer we are at .036 squish now. So the more is going to have to come from else where.

Keep in mind thats here. Do the forward math adding 14-16HP to our numbers, on another dyno...our 1441 would pull close to 230......again don't sweat the numbers. :beerchug:

is the 10 as beefy????
Last weekend we had a big-bore pure race ZX-10 here. It was built by another shop. The owner was told it should pull 200 HP. It pulled 175 here. That 175 is good if you look at the stock tuned 14 numbers at 177 and the 14 is 100 lbs. heavier than the ZX-10 again just numbers. Power to weight ratio would put the 10 out front.

Last edited:
Not sure where I typed 280 but it should read 195's. I would like to see a little more but we can't get the piston any closer we are at .036 squish now. So the more is going to have to come from else where.

Keep in mind thats here. Do the forward math adding 14-16HP to our numbers, on another dyno...our 1441 would pull close to 230......again don't sweat the numbers. :beerchug:

LMMFAO!!!!!
I MISREAD!!!!! My bad, For some reason, i read 1418=277-295hp and 1441=210-220hp:lol:
I was like, "FORGET THIS... I'M GETTIN' A KAWI!!!":lol:

OK, finished this motor up, its my tighest motor to date. Really trusted where it all lined up. Will require race fuel of atleast 110 octane to run, this is why there is race fuel. Should be interesting. Motor should...........god willing be on the dyno Wed. Piston to head .036, piston to intake valve .060 piston to exhaust valve .074. I just want to beat 195 for this package on my dyno...motor has a hand ported head, done by me. Cams and APE valve springs along with a APE tensioner. Its an 1418CC

Last edited:
Big quesiton for the guys before me, how much if any NOS would you use with this set-up and race fuel........stock RODS which are suppose to be good for 400 but I think 300 is a better number. 1418 86MM w/ 2MM overbore.

Last edited:
Since you are into these comparison test and you seem to do a good job....you need to get up with Chuck Wilburn of Tupelo Performance. Chuck is a all motor and nitrous guy but has seen "alot" of peoples work. He is a big advocate of the Rick Ward head and cam setup with the 1441. His bikes move out pretty fast also

My thoughts as well. We did not get locked in today for a tune. Scheduling issues with getting fuel. Hopefully Friday..heat cycles...

Last edited:
I finished this motor up and its at the track today with the owner. Motor made 196HP and 114 foot pounds of torque on our apparently stingy dyno. The rider weighs in at 222 dressed. His best E/T on the stock motor with my tune was a 9.20. Will let you know how things go. He did say "this bike never pulled like that before".....he also has an 80 shot on the drag bike which will not be used until the motor breaks in more.

Hand Ported Head by me
Very nice set of Web's cams
Cam lobes 106*/108 may try 108/108
APE HD Valve Springs
APE manual tensioner
KG Clutch Factory Clutch "drag pack"
Sunoco 112 / 112 Octane bike would have made more power with 93 octane, 112 was for security while spraying down the road.
stock timing curves
CP Pistons
Stock Rods
PCIII with HUB and map switch
Several oil mods

Last edited:
Since you are into these comparison test and you seem to do a good job....you need to get up with Chuck Wilburn of Tupelo Performance. Chuck is a all motor and nitrous guy but has seen "alot" of peoples work. He is a big advocate of the Rick Ward head and cam setup with the 1441. His bikes move out pretty fast also
I like and respect Chuck. He has also found several inaccuracies in the industry. I plan to try every head and cam combo out there until I settle on one. I will add that set-up to the list for sure. Thanks

Back