Pitons and Big Bore Kit

Dscahill

Registered
Pistons and Big Bore Kit

Hello all!

I've kicked the idea around all winter about buying and installing a big-bore kit on my '01 and I've come to the point where I have to narrow down which one is best! The 3 that I am kicking around are from RCS:

1: 1441 kit
2: 1397 kit
3: 1430 kit

Both options 2 & 3 I would be using the JE lightweight pistons for obvious reasons. But, my question is this: I plan to use this bike for a daily rider with some highway blasts and longer drives, (combining the kit with .395/.410 cams, adj sprockets, High-Volume oil pump gear, bearings, ARP bolts, port/polished head with Stainless valves, HD Springs.) Which kit would be the most reliable assuming that I keep up with maintenance and all things being equal?

What do the experts have to say?

-D

Last edited:
It seems they build a bit more heat...but a well thought out build lives for many miles and puts out more hp. There are many people here that have a similar thought / have built their engines...I'm sure they will comment shortly.

I had mine built to 1397 4 years ago (20K so far) I would have gone to the 1441 but to add the crank its alot more $$ due to doing the bottom end. I've been to Sturgis , Reno, and around town . Works great , maybe alittle warm so I had the mechanic ( Goldenchild @ Cloud Nine ) more the temp sensor so it will come on sooner . You will want to go with a 24v starting system.

Frisbee, what can you tell me about the 24v system? Is it a hassle or is it decent to deal with?

-D

In my professional life, I'm an accomplished mechanic so the tear down and rebuild doesn't intimidate me. That being said the headwork will be outsourced to a professional.

-D

In my professional life, I'm an accomplished mechanic so the tear down and rebuild doesn't intimidate me. That being said the headwork will be outsourced to a professional.

-D
Then you should have no issues with the 24v system.

Icemansid, I wasn't so concerned about the installation of the 24v system, as much as the daily usage of it. Do you have to switch it to a 24v to start then 12v to ride or 24v full time?

-D

Also, there is an option of compression ratios of 12.8:1 and 13.4:1 (I think) does anyone have anything to add about which option would be wiser?

I believe that the pre built 24v start kit / kits include the relay / other component to spin the starter at 24v...once fired it is 12v. You have to add an additional battery...I also think the secondary battery is a smaller size than the oem...one guy here just went through the process of adding the 24v deal...tiger racing sells them also mps...the kit I am speaking of.

i have never had an issue with heat on my 1397. I do use a muzzy blade and engine ice with a lower temp switch on it. Has never even hit the half way mark....yet

Icemansid, I wasn't so concerned about the installation of the 24v system, as much as the daily usage of it. Do you have to switch it to a 24v to start then 12v to ride or 24v full time?

-D
The kit sold by Tiger Racing is 100% automatic for 24v. The switch is only for a failsafe 12v (single battery) bypass.

Also, there is an option of compression ratios of 12.8:1 and 13.4:1 (I think) does anyone have anything to add about which option would be wiser?

All depends on how much power you want.. more compression can* create more power but you should run a high grade fuel to prevent detonation.

Frisbee, what can you tell me about the 24v system? Is it a hassle or is it decent to deal with?

-D

I installed it myself and it was simple. Man what a diff in the bike turning over now ! What iceman said is all true about it !

Back