how's it taking it?

cutts431

Registered
I'm coming up to 21,000 miles on my 08. I would be interested to know if anyone with similar, or more, mileage has needed to do work on it yet, outside the normal service schedule, at this stage in its life - suspension rebuild, for example (no wheelies for me, by the way).

What have you found?

You might need to check the valves and sync the TB's, check the chain and sprockets, but as long as you have been keeping up on maintenance, she should be good to go.

Do you have to sync the throttle bodies on a GenII TwoTone?
I thought with the fuel injection there weren't any?
All computerized gizmo kinda stuff, no?

I thought you had to sync throttle bodies at 10, 000 miles. The catch is you need to re-set it using a $600 computer that they won't sell you anyway. There is a thread on that some where.

Sent from my GSBv1.7-ERIS using Tapatalk

Ummmm I think just a standard mercury meter will work as well. There is a write somewhere on the org

I just turned 21K on my '08 and I hate to say it but someone reminded me that I need to check the air filter last night. All I've changed so far are the tires and oil.

I know that my chain and sprockets are coming up soon, and I feel like the brakes will need replacing soon as well.

I think my cush drive rubbers are shot as well. Plan on catching them next tire or if the chain gets replaced first.

I never changed my filter till like 21 or 22k also. Looked like black death :whistle: Changed my sprockets/chain/plugs as well. My cush drive was fine. I had to sync the TB at 1k due to poor throttle response, but haven't had to again. I put my turbo on at 24k and am now at 32k. Still haven't needed to adjust valves or any other maint. These bikes are amazing. I didn't even clean or lub my chain for the first 8k miles :poke: Yeah I know. I forgot, and it lasted longer than most of my friends. Changed my back brake at like 15k and just changed my fronts 32k(only because I swapped brake lines) they still had half life.

Then again. I am nice to my bike generally though. But these things run forever! :beerchug:

and no I am not exaggerating on any numbers. I keep track of all my service times.

I'm at 25.5k on my 08. I plan on doing the normal maintenance plus brake fluid, spark plug and air filter change. Just replaced the rear sprocket, rear brake pads, front and clutch braided lines over the winter and my EK ZZZ chain is fine.

Got 65k on my 08, I have changed the chain a sprockets twice replaced the front discs and just yesterday had the fork seals done, 65000 klms on the seals was pretty good iIthought.:thumbsup: I do my own oil and filter and spark plug changes every 6000 klms, I have a K&N filter so easy toclean and replace.:beerchug:

Got 65k on my 08, I have changed the chain a sprockets twice replaced the front discs and just yesterday had the fork seals done, 65000 klms on the seals was pretty good iIthought.:thumbsup: I do my own oil and filter and spark plug changes every 6000 klms, I have a K&N filter so easy toclean and replace.:beerchug:

You change your spark plugs every 3600 miles??

Scar had a pic on Facebook of his gen2 coming up on 87 thousand miles. When asked he said it's been bullet proof with regular maintenance, but I didn't inquire about details, like tb sync or shim adjustments

Just rolled 13k kilometers on mine. Air filter is a must check and replace at 10k. Everything else is doing great. got a little slack on the rear sprocket. next check and replace will be the spark plugs.

Thanks for all your comments - it's interesting to hear the experiences.

I had a new chain and sprockets about 1000 miles ago. Everything seems to fine, and I am constantly amazed at the depth of engineering quality of this bike.

Happy riding!

Back