How warm does your bike run?

Trent

Registered
So I have been running through the following break-in procedure.

Keep under 6K RPM
Vary the RPM
Use all the gears
No sudden accelerations

Of course the temp gauge rarely gets to 1/2 way.
Longest ride was 2 hours.
The right side gets pretty warm at times on my right leg and the heat soak of the frame and engine parts on that side keeps the bike warm for hours after a ride. Just want to make sure all is well in paradise. Another thing I noticed is that the gap between the tank and the filler trim, not sure what its really called (black piece that blends into dash in the front) is farther away from the tank on the right side than the left. There is maybe a 3/16's gap all along this side and none on the left. Is this by design or is there just some normal variation in the attaching clips and such?

Thanks, Trent

About 1/2 way up on the gauge is normal. At least for me and most others I've seen, ONLY time I've ever seen it get over half was sitiing in bumper to bumper traffic on a 95 degree day. Not sure on your location but this time of year I can ride all day and it won't see even 1/2 way.

As far as the gap between tank and trim, you can just loosen up 2 bolts in front that hold tank down and get quite a bit side to side adjustment there to center it up. those bolts go thru rubber bushing to reduce vibration and it isn't hard to tighten them and be a 1/16" one way or another which will result in 1/8-3/16 difference in gap on sides.

My gauge runs about 2/3s of the way up between cold and halfway.. Varies a bit either way from there.
Put some load on that motor. Your not gonna hurt it.

It gets pretty hot in here and the traffic is maddening but i ve rarely seen the needle past the 1/2 way mark. Busas do have a fairly effective cooling system for a stock bike.

Put some load on that motor. Your not gonna hurt it.

Yes sir, I am only 65 miles away from this!!!

It gets pretty hot in here and the traffic .
Thanks, this is what I was looking for, just making sure. My last big street bike had a digital temp so I could sort of understand what was going on. And I have been reading how everyone here remarks that the bike runs cool. Then why is it so hot on my leg? :laugh:

and thanks Rollin20z Thats what I was hoping for... adjustment!

Get ECU editor. You can go in an lower the temp at which the fan kicks in. Important if you runs full aftermarket exhaust. Single wall has been known to melt plastics!!!!Doh!!!

Yes sir, I am only 65 miles away from this!!!

Thanks, this is what I was looking for, just making sure. My last big street bike had a digital temp so I could sort of understand what was going on. And I have been reading how everyone here remarks that the bike runs cool. Then why is it so hot on my leg? :laugh:

and thanks Rollin20z Thats what I was hoping for... adjustment!

Just below half is what I see too. Regarding the heat on the leg; more heat dispersal = more speed, and that heat has to go somewhere. When I got the new Busa, I noticed the same thing with the heat around the legs (especially right side). You will get use to it... Nice job breaking it in, I know it is tempting to get over 6k.

Get a full exhaust and that will get rid of the catalytic convertor, that's what's making your leg so hot.
Once it's gone you will notice a difference.:beerchug:

Get a full exhaust and that will get rid of the catalytic convertor, that's what's making your leg so hot.
Once it's gone you will notice a difference.:beerchug:

That makes sense. Are Haybusas emission all the same or are there different models for places like California?

My '11 stock gets way to hot to get used to.Maybe because i'm 6'4" my right leg from the knee down to the bottom of the calf is a rosy red after just 20 minutes of riding.Wish there was a heat shield or something that could help besides replacing the full exhaust.Thanks for the advice though.

The gen 2 has a good cooling system,i have sat in heavy traffic many times with the needle barly going above the halfway mark on 90deg. days,great but try doing that with the gen1 forgetabout it,i installed a muzzy fan blade ,aluminum i dont think thats going too work but if wost comes to worst ill install a second fan onto the radiator ,Ive seen it done here,this forum is the greatest.

Back