How much coolant does your bike use??

Diggi

Registered
Hey guys!!
Have a quick query...have a 2019 busa..bought it used in oct 2020
I noticed the coolant was below L level in Dec sometime
Filled it up full with tje green stuff after consulting the agency mechanics. They said that the bike will spill out excess.
It spilled a bit 2-3 times after that when i rode it.
But i rode it hard for about 430 kms day before. Stopped twice on the way.
I saw it just guzzling out coolant both times...much more than the previous times.
But it wasnt heating up that much.
In traffic or slow speeds it was just a hair width below the halfway mark....and when riding faster 4th gear onwards it was cooling down considerably from midway to almost a little above the 1/3 of the meter reading. I wss surprised.
** temp went up to about 34 degrees Celcius
Rode from 7 am to 2 pm
Q1. Bike heating up to halfway...is it normal? How much do your bikes heat up normally?
Q2. Now that the coolant is at L level...and stabilised..not being spilt....is that the level my bike needs? If that is so..then its grrt!!
All inputs are welcome
Cheers

Q1. Bike heating up to halfway...is it normal? How much do your bikes heat up normally?

My 2017 bike heats the same as yours to a hair below the center mark. Yes that is perfect.

Q2. Now that the coolant is at L level...and stabilised..not being spilt....is that the level my bike needs? If that is so..then its grrt!!

It should start at "L" at room temperature and raise closer to "F" when hot.

It could be that it was filled too low at setup and the system sucked in air from the reservoir. It will cause problems until the air is entirely purged. You had concerns about rampant bike tampering in your area. If something happened to the bike that the members here do not know about, it will be up to you to do thorough inspections for more evidence. (Hopefully these issues are coincidences and you will not see any more problems for a long time!)

If a hose is loose it will keep ingesting air until it is tightened. If there is still a problem you may need to carefully inspect all of the hoses and connections. Coolant will evaporate when hot enough so you would look for dried stains on the hoses, the ground, etc.

Members here posted fully detailed threads on changing the coolant and purging the air correctly should you need to do this.

When you say you filled it up, did you fill the plastic bottle completely to the top? Never fill more than the high mark on the bottle. If you do, when it gets warm/hot it can dump out far more than you’ve put in it leaving less coolant in the motor and radiator causing it to run hotter. Mine is filled just above the low mark and it stays there. The overflow container is designed to hold more than necessary to keep coolant inside the motor. There’s a reason the container is larger than the high mark on it. It should not puke out any coolant even when hot. If it’s overfilled (filled to the top) above the high mark to begin with (cold), during the radiator to motor ‘exchange’ of hot coolant to cooler coolant via the thermostat opening, the plastic overflow bottle will overfill causing you to lose coolant. Now you may have air in the system which requires a proper burping to get rid of it.

A1. Yes. Mine goes to halfway. I don't know that I've ever seen it go higher than halfway.

A2. Probably. I didn't fill the reservoir past the Low mark to avoid extra weight. I don't recall if it was higher than that from the dealership. I only changed coolant once so far. The radiator has always been up to the filler neck every time I checked the level. I've never added coolant in the bike's 10 year, 16,000 mile life.

A1. Yes. Mine goes to halfway. I don't know that I've ever seen it go higher than halfway.

A2. Probably. I didn't fill the reservoir past the Low mark to avoid extra weight. I don't recall if it was higher than that from the dealership. I only changed coolant once so far. The radiator has always been up to the filler neck every time I checked the level. I've never added coolant in the bike's 10 year, 16,000 mile life.

10 yrs!!! Wowwww

Back