How to hook up PS3 to new tv

not much light in my living room so I think Plasma is the Way to go.

+1 on the "in" to TV and then out from "tv" to receiver. Makes it really nice for the times you don't want surround, with out messin around with a bunch of stuff.

if you game A LOT, check in with AVS FORUMS to be sure your TV will keep up. I think in HiDef on HDMI there won't be noticable lag, but depending on the electronics.... well, just check in there to be sure
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

i'm gonna go up soon to BestBuy n let the ole lady look at em n see what she thinks.

I've decided against the Sony. Thinkin bout a 50" LG plasma for $1659 or 47" LG lcd $1329

If you go plasma I would go with a Panasonic for sure such as the TH-50PZ80U. But if you can afford more then Pioneer 9th gen kuro for the win!

Personally I had much rather get a plasma than a LCD but thats just me.

Well I don't have the money for that or the room for 50" actually so I'm probably just gonna go with a 46" or 47"

REDKAT, I know it's probably too late for this, but examining a bunch of TVs in the showroom won't tell you the true story of how their pictures look. Unless some are obviously very "JUDDERY" over other, otherwise, none of them are setup right and only using factory default settings to be too bright and over colored to try to look better than one sitting next to it. I'll go out on a limb and say whatever you get will look GREAT once it is at home and not next to a bunch of other TVs. A TV that looks not so good at the store might not be adjusted right. Almost all have various screen settings like: DAY, Night, Movie, Game, Sports, User and if you can find those and cycle through them, you will see the TVs true potential.

I only mention this as I'm looking at them and reading up also. Recently a buddy and I spent 1.5 hours at Best Buy messing with their largest mock home theater setup plasma display. Suprisingly, they never bothered to interrupt us! I brought in the DVE Blu Ray color tuning disc and we ran their display thru that obstical course. It was set to factory default: over bright, over colored and just looked awful! Artifacts and grain and way too blarring colorful, horribly unrealistic. But nobody else noticed. After an hour of tweaking, we had that sucker looking like a 5 figure professional monitor. I should have charged them for our services. ;)

That said, I would trust multiple internet tests/reviews over my own eyes on TVs at the store at this point --- UNLESS I used my color tuning disc to correct and test all the monitors I was looking at. Sites with lots of technical detail and seem like they know what they are doing, are able to test more screens than I ever could and are a good basis to find a good new TV. Good luck!

I'm getting the newest Kuro 60" plasma in a few weeks! YEAH!! I think. Or a new Sharp 65 LCD. Still comparing

i could be dated with my info. but just to give you some insight on flat screens, the plasma would be a better picture but will disapate over time whereas the LCD will last and then the bulb will just burn out. i personally, would rather sacrifice for an LCD and knowing that someday i could replace the bulb for a few hundred bucks than stare at a paper weight plasma which would be non fixable when it burns in. panasonic is one of the best for the "affordability" and "reliability" factor. check with consumer reports for fairly accurate testing. :beerchug:

Last edited:
i could be dated with my info. but just to give you some insight on flat screens, the plasma would be a better picture but will disapate over time whereas the LCD will last and then the bulb will just burn out. i personally, would rather sacrifice for an LCD and knowing that someday i could replace the bulb for a few hundred bucks than stare at a paper weight plasma which would be non fixable when it burns in. panasonic is one of the best for the "affordability" and "reliability" factor. check with consumer reports for fairly accurate testing. :beerchug:

Nowadays most plasma's have 100,000 hour half life. Thats until the screen reaches half its brightness. If you watched the TV for 24 hours a day 7 days a week it would still take over 11 years to reach half brightness. Its much more likely some other component would go before this happened.

Most LCD's have about the same shelf life. But after 11 years, why would you want to replace the bulb anyway? I bet it would be cheaper just to buy a new TV.

Last edited:
yeah it's kinda of a toss up, but most things say Plasma LOOKS better and doesn't lag. 120hz is helping LCD but I THEEENK they are still slower than plasma. I've not seen an LCD look as good as plasma so that's where i am headed. Still, all the new stuff looks WAY GOOD!

I have a plasma and a LCD that displays at 120HZ (120Hz HDMI wires are $140 for 3 feet it's ridiculus). The only differance I can tell is the plasma shows a truer black. I just got the LCD for video games plasmas are still prone to burn in.

Last edited:
I have a plasma and a LCD that displays at 120HZ (120Hz HDMI wires are $140 for 3 feet it's ridiculus). The only differance I can tell is the plasma shows a truer black. I just got the LCD for video games plasmas are still prone to burn in.

120Hz HDMI wires? :rofl: lol An HDMI wire is a HDMI wire is a HDMI wire. There is no such thing. Its purely marketing. You should go and kick the guy that told you to buy them in the balls.

Besides lets think about this logically. Its a 120Hz TV. It does this "frame doubling" internally. What in the world would a cable have to do with anything? A $5 dollar HDMI cable sends the same 1's and 0's as a the 200 dollar monster or any other cable.

Sorry it just kills me to hear this.

Last edited:
confirmed. It is a DIGITAL cable. it's binary: either WORKS or does not. Get your money back quick and buy a cheap one. $130 of that went into strait commission

On plasma, GHOSTING is different than burn in. yes, it can burn in, but it takes a lot now. ghosting is when you still see the image but it goes away after a bit. mine always retains the last thing that was on it when it was shutoff. I can tell what was on TV last when I first turn it on, because I see the GHOST of it. but it is not burned in permenantly

Last edited:
120Hz HDMI wires? :rofl: lol An HDMI wire is a HDMI wire is a HDMI wire. There is no such thing. Its purely marketing. You should go and kick the guy that told you to buy them in the balls.

Besides lets think about this logically. Its a 120Hz TV. It does this "frame doubling" internally. What in the world would a cable have to do with anything? A $5 dollar HDMI cable sends the same 1's and 0's as a the 200 dollar monster or any other cable.

I was thinking the same thing. "how in the world could they possibly be controlling the hz with the cable. . ." That would be like trying to make your 12v battery supply something with 24v just by using a different cable.

I searched around and for Xbox 360 games that run 120 FPS (Forza Motorsport is the only one I know of) require a special 120HZ HDMI wire. The only company I found that made one was Monster Cable. On there site it says that it has to do with the data transfer rate 14.9 Gbps for the wire I purchased 2.23 Gbps is a standard wire. If I'm wrong I will deffinitly be going to kick that guy in the balls followed by a baby powdered b*tch slap.

Last edited:
Back