How to hook up PS3 to new tv

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
I'm buyin a new Sony Bravia 46" and a PS3, my thought is that the video would go directly from the PS3 into the tv but i'd then need extensions for left/right audio to go to the surround sound receiver. Am I pretty much set with this thought?

Like these basicly? I don't have an HD compatible receiver so i won't have HD sound lol
503-38.jpg

Last edited:
If the Bravia is new, doesn't it have HDMI inputs? That would cover the best picture and sound. PS3 can hook up a bunch of different ways.
HDMI = best
Component - next best
S-Video - ok
Video - worst
The PS3 comes with some different connectors also.. not sure how you play to amplify it. I HDMI to my TV, then TV to amps, but I think you can send seperate audio out also, but I think the PS3 comes with those cables.

BTW you can buy a $7.99 HDMI cable, not the $70 ones. It's digital - it either WORKS or it don't. My cheap HMDI cables work just great

Last edited:
HDMI is the only way to go...anything else and you settle for less.

what's up boss? it's been a while. how are those turn signals holding up that i gave you?

personally, a hdmi would be less wires and more convienent. send an hdmi to your tv from the ps3 and an optical wire from the ps3 to your receiver. i am in a similar situation. once you've done this, you have to go to settings and audio to set the ps3 for optical not hdmi. this is all from memory a while back but i'm pretty sure that is how i did it. don't buy an expensive hdmi like monster and get one from radio shack or home cheapo. there is not much difference in quality. pm me if you get hung up. good luck!
nick :thumbsup:

what's up boss? it's been a while. how are those turn signals holding up that i gave you?

personally, a hdmi would be less wires and more convienent. send an hdmi to your tv from the ps3 and an optical wire from the ps3 to your receiver. i am in a similar situation. once you've done this, you have to go to settings and audio to set the ps3 for optical not hdmi. this is all from memory a while back but i'm pretty sure that is how i did it. don't buy an expensive hdmi like monster and get one from radio shack or home cheapo. there is not much difference in quality. pm me if you get hung up. good luck!
nick :thumbsup:

Agreed.

Buy a cheap HDMI cable. Monoprice.com is an excellent place to get the cables.

Don't let the sales person con you into a Monster Cable.:rulez:

Agreed.

Buy a cheap HDMI cable. Monoprice.com is an excellent place to get the cables.

Don't let the sales person con you into a Monster Cable.:rulez:

+1 !!!

monoprice.com is the way to go!! I got all my cables for my home theatre from them! Great prices, great service, fast shipping!

I was just gonna get an HDMI cable when i get the tv. I've actually found the best price on the one i want at Walmart and the HDMI cable length i'd need is only $32. So the PS3 has an optical out? I'd have to check n see if my receiver has an optical in, not sure. I got it from a buddy really cheap years n years ago. Its not even DTS lol. I'm just gonna get it all in one shot from walmart, the ps3, tv, hdmi, everything.

Schism- Signals are workin great, how's the lil guy? Workin on any other new ones for that onesie?

I used to work for DIRECTV so if you need help just holla. Everyone is right on target though :thumbsup:

red 05- maybe in a year or so when luke hits pre schhool.

the ps3 comes w/ a connection that i believe has the red/ white audio for your reciever. i would stick w/ that if yours doesn't have the optical out.

So I have to get the HDMI cable, I got that part. But Will I still be able to use my surround sound or will I have to use the sound only from the tv? Sorry for bein a 'tard but I am just concerned

Ok so I found this pic of the rear of the console so it looks like I can just hook up the HDMI to the tv and run the A/V multi to the surround sound receiver n still get my surround sound
0006.jpg

EXACTLY! yes, you can use your reciever to listen to surround when playing games or watching a flick. use the av multi out connection to your reciever.

I have 46" Sony Bravia XBR 5. I use the HDMI from my PS3 to the TV for picture. Then hook the optical out to your home theater for sound. HD sound is overrated and the receivers are extremly expensive 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound is all you need unless you plan on building a movie theater.

HDMI :cheerleader:
IMG_0541.jpg

If you want to get PCM, you need a receiver that has HDMI and if you want Dolby TrueH, DTS-HD Master Audio you will need a receiver that can decode those.

I've decided against the Sony. Thinkin bout a 50" LG plasma for $1659 or 47" LG lcd $1329

Back