? for the TV gurus

psycobusa

Registered
the short of it is im in the market for a new tv. its been years (10 or more) since ive been tv shopping so im a lot behind on all the new technologies. i have been doing a little research and have found a few things i like. ill make a a list of a few of the things im looking for in a tv

- cost under 2k
- LCD
- 1080P
- at least 40"...more is better
- good quality with PS3 games and Blu Ray
- ability to connect my laptop to it to view downloads and play online games
- i have basic cable now but plan on direct tv later
- its going to be in my bedroom (well lit) about 10-12ft away (im guessing 40" is large enough and lcd is the way to go
rock.gif

personally ive been looking at the samsung ln-s4096d

do you think that's a good choice or are there better and bigger one's in that same price range
rock.gif

thanks for the help guys

rock.gif

decent info on things A/V http://avsforum.com/

I play games a lot and am SLIGHTLY dissapointed in video "LAG" on my plasma. Things are playabe, but it is noticable. I have a PS2, and the TV is two years old. Maybe the newest stuff compensates better - and depends on how picky you are. take your PS3 in, and TEST some units before you buy

K nevermind, I just read this:

HIGH DEFINITION MATERIAL DOES NOT LAG ON A HIGH DEFINITION SET 99% OF THE TIME. SO, IF YOU HAVE A PS3, X-BOX 360, OR HTPC, YOU DO NOT NEED TO READ THIS.

(psycobusa @ Feb. 08 2007,02:28) the short of it is im in the market for a new tv. its been years (10 or more) since ive been tv shopping so im a lot behind on all the new technologies. i have been doing a little research and have found a few things i like. ill make a a list of a few of the things im looking for in a tv

- cost under 2k
- LCD
- 1080P
- at least 40"...more is better
- good quality with PS3 games and Blu Ray
- ability to connect my laptop to it to view downloads and play online games
- i have basic cable now but plan on direct tv later
- its going to be in my bedroom (well lit) about 10-12ft away (im guessing 40" is large enough and lcd is the way to go
rock.gif

personally ive been looking at the samsung ln-s4096d

do you think that's a good choice or are there better and bigger one's in that same price range
rock.gif

thanks for the help guys
I bought the 46" version of this tv at the end of last year and i can tell you that i love it!!! The picture quality on HDTV is awsome. Games on it with the xbox 360 are great and i notice no issues with video lag at all. Standard definition tv at first to you will look almost worse to you that watching it on a regular tv but that is the way it is on most LCD tv's. If your looking at this tv for HDTV and HD gaming then your looking at the right choice. Plasma still has a tendency to "burn in" when it comes to video games. I was lucky at got my 46" at Best Buy for $1600. They were at the price for a day and the next day they went up to $2200. The regular price was $2500 so I got a good deal!

rock.gif

Cant go wrong with a Samsung, thats all I buy never a problem with any of their products including my cell phone!
Now as to where to get it at a good price "PC Richard & Sons" ask the salesman for his best price think for a moment then say thank you anyway and head for the door, watch how fast the price goes down. A friend of mine worked there and they are told by their bosses not to let a sale walk out the door!!! No matter what! The salesman is going to push the extended service protection plan (that is where they make their money) agree with it and ask again if that is their best price (it will drop some more) then once he rings it up change your mind about the service plan if you want to.
Good luck.

thanks guys.....i think ill see if i can find a good deal on a 46'er. that 40 is starting to feel too small already
beerchug.gif

i found this SONY bravia KDL-46V25L1 on ebay for under 2k but it has some kind of scuff on the LCD. is this something that can be buffed out or is very noticeable.

take a look at it and let me know

item number is 270087471706

Buy the one from ebay if it dont clean up, you could try replacing the front screen protector and if that dont work buy the same model from store and return yours in the box? Just a thought!

(05BusaLe @ Feb. 08 2007,23:41) Buy the one from ebay if it dont clean up, you could try replacing the front screen protector and if that dont work buy the same model from store and return yours in the box? Just a thought!
the problem with that is the serial numbers wouldnt match up

r u mountign on wall? if not have u thought about DLP?
fry;s has a 50" samsung 1080p for like $1500

its not going on the wall but itll be in my room instead of a large living room so im looking for something smaller plus ive read you'll need to replace the lamps every so often. toting a big tv upstairs doenst sound fun either

(psycobusa @ Feb. 08 2007,23:04) its not going on the wall but itll be in my room instead of a large living room so im looking for something smaller plus ive read you'll need to replace the lamps every so often. toting a big tv upstairs doenst sound fun either
You'll have to eventually replace the lighting lamp with LCD as well, but it will revive your pic to like new condition after several years...depends on how often you will be running it.

Plasmas are based on trapped gasses so once they are used up so is your picture quality...no replacing option to get the as good as new pic quality back.

I would think 40" would be plenty for the bedroom...$.02

Geeze, just noticed as I was re-reading...no hidden meaning in that last comment.

i just purchased a 42"lcd VIZIO from costco for $1199. i really like it and plus the warranty is great at costco , at anytime if u dont like it take it back and get what u paid for it in store credit if u save the reciept

http://www.newegg.com/Product....=LCD-TV

Use the power search on the left, read the reviews,price compare, stay away from retail stores and save a bundle.
Sounds like you've done some homework.  Name brands do cost, look at Westinghouse, they seem to do it all and what ever or where ever you look, make sure the Input Video Compatibility specifies "1080p" not 1080i.
Just remember, the higher resolution the better,  but the bigger the the screen means it has to stretch that resolution resulting in less definition overall.  If you do a lot of gaming like I do, I wouldn't go over 42" and stick to 1920 x 1080 res, just my opinion.

(psycobusa @ Feb. 08 2007,17:13) i found this SONY bravia KDL-46V25L1 on ebay for under 2k but it has some kind of scuff on the LCD. is this something that can be buffed out or is very noticeable.

take a look at it and let me know

item number is 270087471706
I just bought the same TV in a 40" last weekend. Got HD from Dish Network on Friday. It's only been a few days but I can say that so far I'm 100% satisfied with the Sony.
beerchug.gif

Back