Strange HDMI issue

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
I am trying to use a 10' HDMI cable to put my PC screen onto my LCD TV, and it is not working. Here are the things that are making it strange though.

1. HDMI cable works on another smaller TV just fine.
2. HDMI cable worked fine on the bigger TV just fine last night, now it will not.
3. PS3 does not work over the 10' HDMI cable either.
4. Tried all 3 HDMI ports on the TV, get nothing.
5. If I use a shorter HDMI cable, I can get a PC or PS3 signal to the TV on any port.
6. PC acts like it sees the TV by blacking out the screen on the laptop, just does not put anything up on the TV, same with the PS3.

Ideas?

Cable works fine on another TV though... and I used it just last night.

Same devices use on the big tv?

If not make sure they are set on hdmi output.
Posted via Mobile Device

If I were to guess, I would say that it's a power level issue. With AC extension cords, if you have insufficient power, you will get low amperage which can kill your electrical device. Perhaps the same is happening here, where the small TV requires less power, so it works, but the larger TV demands more signal (power) and hence does not display the signal. Even if it worked last night, it would have degraded or have a defect in the cable that is just now showing itself. That's the only thing that makes sense with the small TV working.

Yes, same devices used on big TV (PC and PS3) and they both work on the big TV with the shorter HDMI cable, just not the long one. But, the long HDMI cable works with the devices (PC and PS3) on the smaller TV.

The only thing I can think of is that the smaller TV is only cable of 720p because it is older and the longer HDMI cable is damaged or something and will not allow 1080p signals.

If I were to guess, I would say that it's a power level issue. With AC extension cords, if you have insufficient power, you will get low amperage which can kill your electrical device. Perhaps the same is happening here, where the small TV requires less power, so it works, but the larger TV demands more signal (power) and hence does not display the signal. Even if it worked last night, it would have degraded or have a defect in the cable that is just now showing itself. That's the only thing that makes sense with the small TV working.

Going to plug TV directly into the wall and see how that goes, be back in a minute with an update.

Going to plug TV directly into the wall and see how that goes, be back in a minute with an update.

Sorry if I misled...I meant that the HDMI cable might be underpowered. I was using the AC cable as an example of amperage drop. I know, that was really confusing to use as an example. My bad.

A/V cables have an extremely bad way of just going bad without any sign. If there is any defect in the cable, you could lose the signal strength. But you may have enough to send signal to the small TV. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Now that I am back and it did not work, I understand your point.

So, you are thinking that the cable has degraded enough over the past 2 years of use that it is no longer "clean" enough to push a good HDMI video signal across?

Back