Low Budget LCD TV's

aka Danksy

Registered
Anyone have any experience with these?

Its at the point where you can get a 42" LCD TV 1080p for under $600.

But they are brands I have never heard of, Westinghouse (no idea where there from) Wal Mart has something called an Arion? and Olevia also.

Not huge on watching TV but it would be nice for my Boston Apt.

anyone have any thoughts on this price range?

Anyone have any experience with these?

Its at the point where you can get a 42" LCD TV 1080p for under $600.

But they are brands I have never heard of, Westinghouse (no idea where there from) Wal Mart has something called an Arion? and Olevia also.

Not huge on watching TV but it would be nice for my Boston Apt.

anyone have any thoughts on this price range?

Westinghouse ???

Not known for their tv's, but they have been around for a century or so :lol:

Got an Olevia 42" 1080P from Sears when they sold them 2 years ago and have not had a problem.
Picture looks good, but the sound is lacking.
Decent, but if you are used to good surround sound or such; it's lacking.

hmm. I mean they all come with the same bull**** warranty anyway, IDK.

my rent in Boston is SKY high so Im trying to keep the cost of everything else down.

I have a surround system, I have heard that for the money these TVs are good picture, bad audio, but I do have 5.1dolby

I believe Westinghouse is a sub-division of Phillips. It is their "bargain" priced units rebadged for marketing and uniquely sold to only Wal-Mart and/or Sams. Olevia is the same thing....from Panasonic maybe?? Not 100% positive.

Look into Vizio. They are quite a bit less than the major names (Sony,Samsung) and have built a good name for themselves, offering quality LCD's for less.

I bought an LG 37 inch for the same price the day before the superbowl. I love it.

Vizio I know a bit about, they are the highet quantity selling TV in America but percentage wise they are also the most repaired....

In my mind Vizio is kind of out.

Vizio I know a bit about, they are the highet quantity selling TV in America but percentage wise they are also the most repaired....

In my mind Vizio is kind of out.

Hmmm....doubt they are the highest quantity TV sold in America. I'm going to have to say that probably belongs to Sony. I know Vizio is made in America. But lets say they are the most sold LCD in America.....that would make sense why they are the most serviced. More sets out there....means more reports for repair. Just a numbers thing.

You can always buy the "extended warranty" from Sams Club if you want extra piece of mind. :whistle: :laugh:

I bought my grandmother an Insignia LCD TV and for her it works well.

From what I understand, the low budget LCD's might have increased ghosting. Additionally, they tend to have a shorter life span and an increased rate of bad pixels. Also, there is a chance the budget TVs don't include HDMI and other features.

Two years ago I purchased a Toshiba DLP 52" TV for black Friday for 1300. One week after the warrenty ran out, the TV was fried, board is dead and bulb shattered. While they are two totally different technologies you get what you pay for.

Right now I have a Sony Brovia? sitting in front of my DLP as a replacement.

If you are going to shell out $600.00 why not spend a little more for something quality?

Also consider what you're using the TV for. Do you watch a lot of blu-ray? Gamer? HDTV? I kinda live by the "you get what you pay for" rule. There are a few instances when you're paying for the name, but in my experiences it's payed off. We ride Suzuki for a reason... you could be riding a Hyosung for a lot cheaper!

Also consider what you're using the TV for. Do you watch a lot of blu-ray? Gamer? HDTV? I kinda live by the "you get what you pay for" rule. There are a few instances when you're paying for the name, but in my experiences it's payed off. We ride Suzuki for a reason... you could be riding a Hyosung for a lot cheaper!

:werd:

been happy with my LG :beerchug:

Biggest thing is to go watch them, get the store to allow you to see them in different light, heck take a flashlight with you to see how it does in bright light (no really you should do this to see how it will look during the day or with the lights on). The contrast ratio is going to be the biggest difference in the lower end priced units. Unless you find a steal you aren't getting 120hz for cheap, so really its all about how the picture looks to you. Look at black/gray/white scale stuff....the lower the contrast ratio, the lighter the black will be, thus more washed out color overall.

Good luck, vizio and lg seem to have great deals on 32-47 models all over the web :beerchug:

As of May 11, 2009, VIZIO Achieves #1 LCD HDTV Ranking in North America and #1 Ranking in U.S. Flat Panel...

Reuters linky

I have one and I love it. It has 2 HDMI inputs and lots of other options. I have an Xbox and PS3 plugged into it and have had no problems. The sound is good but the sony surround system is so much better when gaming or watching movies. I've had mine for about 2 years I think now.

You get what you pay for...some times the lowest price is not the best deal :whistle:

Vizio, LG, Westinghouse and RCA all all about the same for price/features/quality. They also share the lowest contrast ratio of most in the market. The higher the contrast ratio, the more crisp the colors and blacks are displayed. I have a Samsung (current manufacture of most of the LCD panels in the world) that has a 60,000:1 contrast ratio. I have a friend that has a Vizio (much cheaper than my Samsung) that has a contrast ratio of 10,000:1. With the TV's side by side you can easily see the difference in the picture.

Just because a TV can support 1080p doesn't mean it can do it as well as a better TV. 1920x1080 is the physical limitation of the LCD panel for 42" or better if I remember correctly. The video decoder and processor is where the difference is really found. The cheaper TV has cheaper components, and a lower quality in the picture.

So far all of my friends and visitors are in awe of the picture quality I get on my LCD. Most of those have an LCD TV that is rated for 1080p. If the innards are all on par, why does the higher cost TV have a better quality picture. You're not just paying for the name in many cases.

If you like to play Blu-Ray or console games that run at 1080i or 1080p, you will see ghosting when things start moving around on the screen quickly. On the higher quality, and more expensive LCD's, the ghosting is much less noticeable. If this is the case I would suggest you look for an LCD that has at least a 40,000:1 contrast ration. The video processor in it will also be smoother than a 10,000:1 set.

I wouldn't bother buying a Sony, because Samsung even makes those LCD panels. I bought a Samsung because they produce the core, and use the best in their own TV's. Sony does have a better sound amp, but the video processor is right on par with Samsung. I also have a good surround sound system that the LCD plugs into.

Sony is an expensive Samsung. I know this.

Samsung makes (currently) the best LCD's in the world (and TV's now that the Pioneer elite has been discontinued)

Panasonic makes the bet Plasma bar none.

All of this I know I am very Familiar with high end televisions, Have a mitsubishi DLP in the room at home and a couple of Sony's I got really good Black Friday deals on downstairs.

However for my Boston Apartment I really won't be using the TV all that much. Probably just watching the Patriots on Sunday and occasionally like Seinfeld after dinner ( I don't care if Im 21 he's funny)

SO IF I HAD THE MONEY I know what I would buy, but my rent in Boston is nearly $1700 a month and with school, track and my busa, why would I be inside???

this is why I was curious about the low-budgets

and yes, thanks truwrecks, I know there contrast ratio sucks but then again I am leaving the PS3 at home so I don't know how important it is.

although I am considering the newest panasonic plasma, 720p but the best cheap color and motion out there

Back