How to get a stock Busa in the 9\'s

We've been waiting two days for your response to my last post. Oh yeah, I forgot you can only read PART of my posts. Maybe if you spent less time trying to come up with old insults and more time reading the entire post you wouldn't have to ask for help. Where have you little green guys been?! We thought you all had left town since the trash posts have been so few since the latest phantom 12 release was posted confirming the last two. Here's the part of my last post which you seem to have trouble reading. Let's try it again and see if you can respond :

Kevin, curious you should be so concerned over a SINGLE MPH quarter mile trap speed when it was performed, documented and videotaped on a stock Busa but have no problem blindly accepting the premise that the never released 12 would run "208 mph [top speed], 9.30 quarter mile" with a claimed advantage of LESS than 10hp over the proven and existing Busa. This without any documentation, videotape or even the official acknowlegement of its creator Kaw that it even exists. Latests rumors claim the 12 weighs about the same as the Busa too. I think this also says a lot about your true purpose on the Hayabusa site as well. The differences between the Busa and your latest claims of the 12's performance are significant - much more so than a 1 mph trap speed you would like to argue for the day. I think we would get a lot more bang for our entertainment dollar if you could convince us that the 12 will do this with less than 10hp over the Busa.

Todd, I'm sure you're one of the guys that actually believe mags get non-ringers. Maybe you can bring yours (Busa) out to Palmdale (LACR) and run 143 mph into the wind for me? I'd belive that!

Sorry I wasn't around, nothing personal.

Kevin - fastzx9@dragbike.com

ZX9--your damn right the magazines get ringer bikes. What would you supply if you were the manufact.? Same with performance cars.

Anyway, you two really need to kiss and make-up.

Bob

The best way to buy a bike is to know what a ringer bike is capable of.

A ringer bike is essentially a blueprinted bike. The perfect example of its breed. I'm always happy to read a review in a good mag by a fast rider/writer like Nick Ienach (SP?) on a ringer bike because then I know that if I buy that bike, the potential to reproduce the blueprinted bike figures is there, even if you have the misfortiune to buy a Friday-built bike.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that stock Busas appear to differ by a range of ~10 hp according to various info I have located. Range seems to be from about 150-160rwhp. Have the magazines received good examples? Yes. Did they all receive the very best example possible? Doesn't appear to be the case. Are some consumers like us getting good examples too? Absolutely.
Here's a few numbers to ponder: [I'm always looking for more] Ratings are RWHP of course. All bikes are claimed to be completely stock unless otherwise noted.

Motorcyclist - 6/99 156.1
Motorcycle.com 157.2
2wf.com 158
Sportrider - 8/99 159.6
CycleWorld - 6/99 160.5
--------------------------------
Busa owner #1 159.3
Busa owner #2 156.4
Busa owner #3 155.2
Busa owner #4 154.7
Busa owner #5 164 stock?

These are all owners that posted their dyno numbers on a single thread on Hayabusa.org
Busa owner #5 didn't say his whether his was stock or not. I recall a couple of other owners that were in the low 150's but don't remember the specifics without going back into the archives. It doesn't appear to me that the magazines received specially prepared Busas - only Busas that were in the upper half of the ~10 hp window I discussed earlier. This isn't meant to be a scientific study or anything. Just something to ponder.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 29 August 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 29 August 1999).]

Todd, where are you? I got your message regarding the MCN release, but I didn't get the loads of info on Busa owners going 143 plus mph of showroom stock machines.....especially at 3000 feet into a head wind!

Frank, that's pretty awesome! You were able to do what some serious street racers have not. To think that it took some of those guys lowering their bikes to the ground, a tooth on the counter, Brock's clutch mod, air pressure, etc to go that fast is really amazing. Congrats!

P.S. - do you have any video of those runs?

Frank...thanks for the trade secrets. I'll go down to 15 psi with complete confidence now.

Yes, I know you know to set up a drag bike. I believe you are our resident expert on that subject. It's good to know where we can go for free, reliable advice.

Now Frank, would you mind popping up to Toronto for the weekend to set up my bike? We have an extra cot in the garage and you can have all the free pizza you can eat.

my totaly stock busa:
160rwhp.
101 fp torque
9.71 et
1.57 short
145.5 mph
14pds air rear tire.
*3rd pass ever the bike*

it's hard for me to believe that anybody
could run better than a 9.60 on a stock busa....

Frank, you are running at 14 psi in your rear tire. At what point is there arisk of separation between the rim and the bead, or rim spinning?

I've never run as low as you. Are you right on the edge at 14 pounds? Do you know what e.t. improvements you get between 20 pound and 14 pounds?

Is that a street tire or a slick?

Frank. 1,57 60f ? I am amazed :) I tried mine this wekend and all I could manage was a 1,76
Damn the clutch is a ***** on this bike. Mine was stock even down to the toolkit. 10,12@226 kmp ( 140,6 mph ) pretty pleased thoug because if I could get one good un I am sure the 9,7 isnt that far away ( judging from the other bikes I have ridden. Best on a streetbike is 9,22 and that is street tires and stock wheelibas. no extention just lots of horsepower. )

Zarniwoop: Yeah I know. I grab Bike, Super Bike and Performance Bike as soon as I can get them.

Best bike mags in the english speaking world.

They've been obsessed with the Busa since March, and that's been fine with me.

Brits have real drag strips?

I though you guys just did everything on abandoned WWII airstrips covered with moss.

Or else on the Isle of Man or Donnington (SP?). Have those venues got 1/4 mile strips attached?

And I've observed on video how some BRITISH SOCCER FAN on a GSXR misbehaved badly in the streets of Paris (ref: "Performance Bikes Nasty Video 2")

9:81 is great.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 30 August 1999).]

Frank, did you ever run the bike showroom stock?

Air pressure, suspension mods, gearing, clutch kits, pipes, remapping, etc... any of these keep it from being stock. Stock is showroom in my book!

Todd, different dyno's, different days, different correction factors, parameters, etc. Dyno numbers, like mag tests, (for comparison purposes) are hard to match-up unless they are done on the same day, under the same conditions and at the same track or dyno with the same rider. Those numbers are impressive, but we know not everyone has the same idea of "stock".

P.S. - Yngve seems like 90 percent of the riders I see making passes or hearing of making passes. He can obviously ride.

Bone stockers going mid 1.7's due to the clutch, going low, low 10's, and trapping at around 138-141 depending on conditions.

[This message has been edited by fastzx9 (edited 30 August 1999).]

yes kevin this was showroom stock. only thing i did was fold the mirror back and drop the air pressure.

peter,
i never brag on myself but i do know how to setup a bike at the dragstrip.
some times you you have to hurt yourself in one area to help yourself in another.
i never go under 12pds without a beadlock rim.
the guys in the streetbike shootout class with beadlocks run as low as 4pds in there street tire.
most of the guys in that class that run the better times are the ones with the lower hp motors, then they spray them harder on the big end to make up for it. that way they don't blow off the tire as easily down low like the ones with bigger motors.
the guy that has the fastest times is not the one with the most hp, but the one that knows how to get what he's got to the pavemant.
the suspension is the first thing you need to start looking at after you do any mods.
it's going to determine how well you get down the track.
so dial in that suspension before you start adding other stuff to go faster....frank

fastzx9, i have some video of those runs but they were with my anilog camcorder. i need to copy it to my digital before i can send it over the net. but keep in mind i still haven't finished the prostar pics yet either.

peter, you send the plane ticket and i'll take off work....

also kevin, i think your alot better off going with 2 up in the rear, rather then 1 down in the front. your not going through the traps where you need to be on a stock motor busa. too many r's in 4th gear and not enough in 5th...

Im yet another newbee to the boards. My question is mostly directed to Frank Adams, but any useful advise is definately appreciated. I ran my bike totally stock at firebird in phoenix.my suspension,tire pressure, and even my gas tank was run full. The temperature was around 85 degrees. the bike had just hit 1000 miles on the odomoter.I weigh in with leathers 205lbs.STATS follows:1.911 60' 330ft 4.76 1/8 7.03 mph 108.11 1000ft 8.97 1/4 10.641 at 134.94 uncorrected or actual time. I launched the bike around 7,000 rpm and shifted around 10,5 or so. ran it again 2 month's later, this time the suspension is set up like in the mag I found for riders about 175lbs. temp was excess of 100 deg. I lowered the rear tire to 24lbs and the sixty ft of 1.82 same launch technique as before. best run this time 1.84 330-4.81 1/8 7.11 mph 106.87 1000 9.08 1/4 10.77 I did warm up the tire this time. I've just had the front sprocket changed to a 16 and am having a shop do the air box mod. I would like some advise on setting up my suspension without tying down the front end. What rpm was your bike launched at and what were your shift points? track elev 1100ft. I was thinking of taking Dirty Petes advise and use the tx25 200 on the rear. My goal is having a nine second time slip while looking completely stock. Thanks for anyone who replies.

Back