First Quarter Mile pass!

Ft Campbell Busa

Registered
Well after reading all the tips on here and having the Busa since Oct 06 I decided to take her to Beechbend in Bowling Green tonight. I never ran her down the 1/4 mile and just started with the 1/8th mile stuff a week ago. I made three passes all around 3500-4000 rpm launch. My air pressure was at 22psi (stock tire), 3545 miles on bike (2006 model), rear lowered, front strapped, everything else stock. I ran a 10.40, 10.60, and a 10.49 for the last pass at 136. The first two passes were at 135. The track was very sticky so I was pretty scared of looping it lol. I wanted to launch the bike higher but I was unsure of what the bike would do. I did not notice any spin whatsoever at this track. I think 5000 rpm would have been better but I was afraid of her coming up. Thanks for all the tips. I had a great time and the kids got to cheer Dad on. Later

You should launch hard enough to float the front tire, if not you are leaving too soft. I'll float the front with my bike set at about 7.5" over stock. What were your 60ft times? That will tell you how you are launching. Those are great numbers for a stock bike especially being the first time to run the 1/4. Keep it up, the time slips will come.

Good numbers for a start. Just take it slow and easy, get more seat time. Shoot for 10.30s next time out, 10.20s the next and so on.

Good job - good times. Take progress in steps...to learn what the bike will do. I've seen a stock Busa loop before .....hooked so hard that the tail never touch the ground has it came around..landed on the bars and tank. Usually this is not the case...stock tire usually melts and becomes very slick.....

Thanks everyone. I just got the Shinko003 on yesterday in a 200 instead of a 190-50-17. I am running it tonight at the local 1/8th mile and was wondering what you allare using for air pressure. The guy at the track is running only 11 pounds with his Busa which seems awfully low. Thanks

Hey, I just realized that the guy on here named Jestersbusa is the local busa that beat me in the eigth, lol. I will see you out there tonight !!!!!!!!!

lurk.gif
Have fun, enjoy and be safe.
super.gif

<~~Jealous. Nice numbers.

I'm still working on my launching in open parking lots. Still trying to move up slowly while respecting the Busa's power.

It's getting a little easier. Hopefully I can get her to the 1/4 down in Pueblo this summer to see what I'm capable of pulling off on her!

QUESTION: Does anybody launch with most of the upper body weight on the tank? Will this help (me thinks yes) in keeping the front end down?

I don't think I'm quite ready to "float" the front end yet. Not atleast till I'm down the 1/4 a hand-full of times. TIA.

I stage up closer on the tank. It helps me get my feet up quicker when the Busa throws you back against the solo seat. I went a 6.81 last night on th Shinko at 18psi. That tire is unreal compared to the stocker. I had the stocker at 21 and it would spin on a 3-3500 rpm launch. Last night I had the bike at 5500 and it still did not spin! At 3500 the bike bogged and almost cut off, lol. I will never run on a stock type tire again. I need to add some more air or bring the rpms up. I am not comfortableyet bringing the rpms up to 6000+ yet. Thanks
PS: Where were you Jester? I still cant beat your 6.50 yet but there was a pretty quick ZX-12 there last night that barely beat me. He was trapping 120 and claimed not to be spraying. He caught me and passed me pretty quick.

What your saying and seeing is right...the Shinko will grab and you can use a lot more RPM.  I run 20-22 psi and leave at 8K slipping the clutch.  Best 60' is a 1.5X. I found that a quick spin in the water to clean (no big smoke) and then hit it once or twice in the sticky stuff before staging gives me the best hook with the Shinko.

Keep practicing and bringing up the revs  
biggrin.gif

(McyMike @ Jul. 05 2007,05:18) What your saying and seeing is right...the Shinko will grab and you can use a lot more RPM.  I run 20-22 psi and leave at 8K slipping the clutch.  Best 60' is a 1.5X.  I found that a quick spin in the water to clean (no big smoke) and then hit it once or twice in the sticky stuff before staging gives me the best hook with the Shinko.

Keep practicing and bringing up the revs  
biggrin.gif
Thanks, just got back from the track tonight and found that the Shinko ran good for me at 18-20psi and a 5000 launch. I went a couple 6.72s. I was hoping to get it down in the 6.5 range eventually before any mods. Thanks

(bquinn @ Jul. 10 2007,13:05) Don't worry about the et's, what's your 60ft time?
Thanks but the local 1/8th mile track that we attend for midnight madness does not give out slips so you have to have a buddy in the tower taking notes if you want anything more than ET and mph. I have a Schnitz order on the way with some parts to help me get a better 60ft and et. I will keep you all posted on it (16t, 42t).

Back