How to get a stock Busa in the 9\'s

OB_ianfila

Registered
Help, i went to the track yesterday in Bradenton, FL in 100f heat, sticky track, 1900miles and ran 10.3 @ 136 mph 3 times in a row then got mad and dumped the clutch and pulled a big wheelie then 10.7 @ 137mph. Another busa ran similar 10.3 @ 136. Bike was totally stock in every respect. What is the key or is it a rider problem???

U guys must have run during the day with 100 degree temps.What was your 60 foot times?have u dynoed your bike yet?How much do u weigh?

The first change i would do is drop 1 tooth on the front sprocket. I am sure you will get alot other idea's , but try one change at a time. I raced at that track for many year's , it is too hot in the day time , try the night.

There's nothing wrong with 10.3 stock. You've obviously got good technique.

The bike journalists have not done much better than that out of the box, and some worse.

But Gixxer's right. Heat is the enemy of your intake charge. That's why some car drag racers run their intake air through dry ice packs. Some bike guys may do it too, I don't know.

Hot atmosphere contains less oxygen per cubic foot to burn. And it's thin so your ram air has little effect. Engines like cool, dry air.

Throw on cans, drop your rear tire air pressure to 25 pounds, and cut out your airbox bottom. You'll make it well into the nines.

From what I gather, the best thing for those is the clutch mod kit. The next thing would be a tie down strap for the front, and a tooth smaller on the countershaft. Many guys have gone nines with this set-up. Hopefully on a better weather day you'll pick up some mph because that will help your e.t. a bit as well. Nothing wrong with 10.30's, though.

Well my best time on a completely stock Hayabusa was a 9.90 at 139mph at Orlando Speed World on my friend's Hayabusa before I bought mine.It took about 3 runs before I got it there.I had to get used to launching the bike at 4000 rpm.He dropped a tooth on the front sprocket,modified the clutch,lowered the bike and went a best time of 9.47 in the 1/4.We do run at night here in Orlando and the later it gets at night ,the faster your bike runs.

Ice in the intake track is how pizza john won the nhra prostock championship years ago..no one figured it out until it was to late..it is since illegal...no more championships either.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
My 60 foot times were 1.82, 1.85, 1.87
I weigh 180 lbs and it was around noon time & very hot!!!
The clutch on the bike is either on or off not really any slippage!

I ran a 9.89 at 142mph, 1.62 60ft. time in 90 degree heat at Shreveport last week. One tooth off the front and lowered. This past Saturday night at our local strip (1000ft)I ran an 8.09 at 130mph with a 1.59 60 footer. No mods other than those listed above

In re-reading your original post, you did say stock. Now, depending who you talk to, stock can mean many things. I like to think of stock as the way it comes from the factory, or showroom. In that respect, it's going to have to be you as the rider who will need to get it done. On a good weather day, you would need to go somewhere in the mid to high 1.6's @ 140 mph plus to get it done. That'll be tough bone stock with the clutch that's in those. Good luck!

Well that sure hasn't stopped several riders I've seen who were described as less than experts when it comes to drag racing do just that. I've got videos posted which prove my point as well as plenty of recognized print sources I would be happy to share. These are runs in the 9's with totally stock Busas. Care to see the proof?

Todd, sure....I am always interested to get that kind of stuff for my file. But rememeber, we are talking about Ianfila (remember) and he is three tenths away. He asked what he needed to do, and that's what I think he needs to do. Any guy that goes 9's on a stock Busa is a good rider. Be careful, you're getting awful close to flaming one of your own now. By the way, would "recognized print sources" be mags?

If I lined up 100 random Busa riders, it's my theory (not a factual or even respectable source) that 80 of them minimum would not run 9's. By the way, what do you run on yours?

Kevin - fastzx9@dragbike.com

Well Kevin I didn't expect to get a straight answer to such a direct question but I hoped you had left the games back on the 12 thread.
I also see you still only read part of my posts and leave out or rewrite the parts you don't like. How about a refresher on my minutes old posting?

You said : "you would need to go somewhere in the mid to high 1.6's @ 140 mph plus to get it done. That'll be tough bone stock with the clutch that's in those.[Busas]

I basically offered to show YOU proof that it HAS in fact been done by riders who were described as NON professional. I offered to show you videos and provide recognized print sources. I did not mention Ianfila nor do the 9 sec Busa videos or print sources have anything to do with Ianfila. The info also has nothing to do with lining up 100 random Busa riders. So are you going to be a weazle and make up your own rules and criteria or do you want to educate yourself on what most of us already know??!! These are independant tests that were performed on the Busa. You know - the ones your phantom 12 has never seen. These aren't secret videos or publications. They have been available to all for public consumption for some time now. And just to insure that you WON'T make a game out of this as well on the Hayabusa site I will have to ask that you(or anyone else interested) send a personal email(it's in my profile) and I will forward the links for the videos and various print info as well via email. This info is old news for most of the Busa owners and I'm sure they won't mind if we take it off line.

Ok, I forgot I need to spell things out for you. Let the map begin...

I know the Busa has gone into the nines stock, duh! My point was that it was going to be difficult... especially for a guy who is three tenths away. Professionals get paid by defintion, a lot of great street riders do not. So my comment of "Any guy that goes 9's on a stock Busa is a good rider." certainly can't be argued with, then again maybe YOU (see I can write in caps too!) could.

As far as Ianfila, it was my impression (not fact)of your post that any old guy could run nines on one. Bad impression, maybe, and the furthest from the truth.

And as far as information and learning goes, I've forgotten more than most (non-professional's) know about these bikes, so you're attempt at condescension really fails with me. Keep your videos and articles to yourself, I am sure I have seen or caught wind of them. Not to mention I have encountered enough around to know how they perform with all types of riding skills.

As far as taking this off-line, even e-mail would need to be online. A connection would need to be made...just fooling man....just a joke...getting late! Hell, I wanted to end this hours ago, but I also don't want to be misunderstod.

P.S. - The only question you asked was... "Care to see the proof?"... and I think I answered that straight enough.

"Todd, sure....I am always interested to get that kind of stuff for my file."

Ok let me know via email and I'll send what I've got. Links for videos and I can summarize the print articles with quotes/dates etc. Sources would be SV/Sportrider, Motorcycle.com for the videos,
and US mags for the print. The videos are interesting (to me) in that they show some pretty lousy launches but still produce runs in the 9's. The Motorcyle.com run is said to be against a slight headwind and was run "at the high-altitude Los Angeles County Raceway". That run is 9.95 @ 143.18 uncorrected.

Todd, would you agree that 143 mph plus into the wind at high altitude is a tad unrealistic for most Busa's? Most seem to go right at 140-142 in normal weather and altitude. At least from what I have seen on posts, drag strips, etc.

Kevin - fastzx9@dragbike.com

Do a nice juicy burnout,then hit the throttle to make sure your grippin.
Carefully stage the lights and get ready....as the lights go down and it comes to the 3rd yellow,anticipate the green.
Then launch as hard as you possibly can, making no mistakes that results in coming off the throttle,of course shut it off if necessary.
If you feel something going wrong down track don't risk it,unless your positive you can gain control.(tire spin,drifting,wheelying out of control)
A 9-sec run isn't worth the annihilation of you and your bike.
Your best launch will probably take the front up a bit....but you don't want to go too high.
If your sick enough,but yet extremely focused.....you'll do it!!
But then again....what do i know,i don't even have my 'Busa!!(yet)

No problem Buddah - Kevin doesn't own one either. He just likes to live on our site and torment us. Kevin, ready to whack each other on the head again today?! I thought so.

So you wish to argue over 1 mph difference in the Busa's trap speed??!! That's it???!
Well I'm having a hard time getting too uptight about that 1 mph and here's why:
First there is no disputing the fact that motorcycle.com ran 9.95 @ 143.18 uncorrected. They have provided all that we could ask for in order to document the run including TWO videos of the run and a nice jpeg of the board's readout. There is no further information provided on weather conditions other than the mention of a slight headwind. We don't know what the windspeed, temp, humidity etc was. I don't remember the exact elevation of that track but it seems like it is in the 2500 range. I'm sure a board member could provide that info. We also know that stock Busa owners have provided dyno info that indicates approx 10 hp differences between bikes due to production variances. Motorcycle.com listed their test Busa at 157.2 rwhp which is well within the window that owners I know have reported. SportRider 8/99 reported 159.6 rwhp (also within the window) and ran 9.97 @ 144.80 mph. CycleWord 6/99 reported 160.5 rwhp on their test Busa which is at the high end of the window and ran 9.86 @ 145.80 mph. The run made by motorcyle.com at 143.18 seems reasonable to me based on what the other independant testers have documented. I don't believe I'll lose much sleep worrying over that one mile per hour.

Kevin, curious you should be so concerned over a SINGLE MPH quarter mile trap speed when it was performed, documented and videotaped on a stock Busa but have no problem blindly accepting the premise that the never released 12 would run "208 mph [top speed], 9.30 quarter mile" with a claimed advantage of LESS than 10hp over the proven and existing Busa. This without any documentation, videotape or even the official acknowlegement of its creator Kaw that it even exists. Latests rumors claim the 12 weighs about the same as the Busa too. I think this also says a lot about your true purpose on the Hayabusa site as well. The differences between the Busa and your latest claims of the 12's performance are significant - much more so than a 1 mph trap speed you would like to argue for the day. I think we would get a lot more bang for our entertainment dollar if you could convince us that the 12 will do this with less than 10hp over the Busa.

Todd - Great response. Most of us all fight and scrap for that extra 1 mpg, tenth of a second, or that single hp. The people who say it does not make a difference are the people that come in 2nd place.

Todd, that's exactly my point! Only 1 mph into a headwind and at altitude! But, talk to me about owner times...like on this site. Pull some of those references.... only stockers....showroom, though. How many of them were in the 143 and up club?

By the way, are you saying I'm not qualified to talk about drag strip techniques? Are Busa owners the only ones qualified?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I really won't be on until later tonight. Gotta work......

Kevin - fastzx9@dragbike

Back