How the conversation went...

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
My cell phone rings while I'm going down the highway...

ME: Heeeellllo
MOM: Where are you (panicked voice)
ME: Mom what's wrong
MOM: Your dad is down
ME: What do you mean down
MOM: He is laying in the yard
ME: Did he fall, is he hurt, call 911
MOM: He is under his Harley

ME: WHAT! ( I know have the gas petal to the floor heading home about 5 minutes away....
MOM: He crashed his bike in the yard and he is under it I can't get it off him...
ME: Is he alert, is he talking, is he conscious
MOM: What do I do, (in the background I can now hear my dad "Tell him I'm Okay just stuck in the mud"
ME: If he's hurt or unconscious call 911 I will be there in 2 minutes.... (Now breaking the sound barrier)
MOM: Okay I will try to pull him out
ME: WHAT, leave him there

So my dad went on a patriot guard ride to a funeral of a soldier, he didn't want to get off the bike because it was cold and unlock the gate to the shop. He decided to drive across the yard (Like he has a thousand times before). As he got about half way the tires sunk down about 8 inches in mud, all the snow had just melted and saturated the ground, he just fell over and the bike was on his leg and had it smashed in the mud. He wasn't hurt just stuck, my mom walks outside and sees him under the bike and flips out... she calls me and you read the transcript.. I come flying in the drive, across the yard and jump out, get the bike off him and then lift it on up... I check him out and he is fine, mom needs her blood pressure checked now but other than that no long term damage.. I jumped on the Harley and had to power out of the mud, I left a 50 foot long strip 8 inches deep in the yard but got it out..... dad was a little embarrased that he was stuck but I think the mud kept him from getting hurt too...

Now mom wants to put a GPS locater, tip over sensor, football pads and bubble wrap on him before he gets on the bike... 70 yrs old, been riding 50 yrs and this is the first get off.....

uggg parents..!

That's about as good an off as you can pray for. Glad he's alright, hopefully mom will be soon.

well at at least his first and hopely his last get off was a soft one. Glad your pops is ok! Any damage to his bike? I know you were in a panic but pics would've been cool:poke:

My cell phone rings while I'm going down the highway...

ME: Heeeellllo
MOM: Where are you (panicked voice)
ME: Mom what's wrong
MOM: Your dad is down
ME: What do you mean down
MOM: He is laying in the yard
ME: Did he fall, is he hurt, call 911
MOM: He is under his Harley

ME: WHAT! ( I know have the gas petal to the floor heading home about 5 minutes away....
MOM: He crashed his bike in the yard and he is under it I can't get it off him...
ME: Is he alert, is he talking, is he conscious
MOM: What do I do, (in the background I can now hear my dad "Tell him I'm Okay just stuck in the mud"
ME: If he's hurt or unconscious call 911 I will be there in 2 minutes.... (Now breaking the sound barrier)
MOM: Okay I will try to pull him out
ME: WHAT, leave him there

So my dad went on a patriot guard ride to a funeral of a soldier, he didn't want to get off the bike because it was cold and unlock the gate to the shop. He decided to drive across the yard (Like he has a thousand times before). As he got about half way the tires sunk down about 8 inches in mud, all the snow had just melted and saturated the ground, he just fell over and the bike was on his leg and had it smashed in the mud. He wasn't hurt just stuck, my mom walks outside and sees him under the bike and flips out... she calls me and you read the transcript.. I come flying in the drive, across the yard and jump out, get the bike off him and then lift it on up... I check him out and he is fine, mom needs her blood pressure checked now but other than that no long term damage.. I jumped on the Harley and had to power out of the mud, I left a 50 foot long strip 8 inches deep in the yard but got it out..... dad was a little embarrased that he was stuck but I think the mud kept him from getting hurt too...

Now mom wants to put a GPS locater, tip over sensor, football pads and bubble wrap on him before he gets on the bike... 70 yrs old, been riding 50 yrs and this is the first get off.....

uggg parents..!

good story doug...70 and riding for 50?..god bless yer pops man...sounds like a great guy! :thumbsup:

which begs the question...what the he11 happened to his son? :rofl::poke:

Glad yer pops wasn't injured & L8R, Bill. :cool:

uggg parents..!

That's funny, knowing he is fine. Talk about a scare..

You can get some mileage out of this incident. :thumbsup:

Tell him he needs a dirt bike for the mud days..:laugh:

The bike is fine, the front wheel just caught in the mud and to the side he went... he has bars that covers his bags and bars on the front for his footpegs, the handlebars were 18 inches from the ground... I got the bike to the shop and there wasnt even any mud on the paint just on the chrome... Talk about luck! If that had been my bike I would have found the only gravel in the whole yard and hit it and dented something... He washed it up and it looks as good as new...

It's a blessing living 100 yards from my dad, I see him in the shop every day, in the summer we are mowing the grass in our yards and we wave, we pass as we are going for tools and we bring each other drinks. In the evenings its not uncommon to see the walk in the back door or to see mom and dad walking in the trees holding hands... I know that I will probably find my dad one day laying in the yard dead so I have been preparing for that day for years. It almost happened 6 years ago when he had his heart attack... I was the first one there too....

You are right, he is one of a kind, we have been best friends for ever and I aspire to leave a legacy as great as his....

Nice to have a relationship like that with anyone, never mind it being your dad!

Doug,

That's gonna be me in 30 years :laugh: Except it's going to be me calling Anastasia's husband to come rescue Dave. Oh wait....she's never getting married. Nevermind I'm screwed.

Seriously though....glad to know he's okay. :thumbsup:

It sounds like you could rent his bike out as a trencher. :whistle:

Great story and I'm very glad it ended well.

I was concerned when I started reading. I was laughing at the end. Parents! I'm glad his first get-off was painless, and hopefully his last. :beerchug:

LOL, I know this story too well. My yard holds water and so anytime I try to get the bike out in the wintertime I'm leaving those deep ruts. I've almost dropped it several times.:whistle:
Glad to hear he's ok.:thumbsup:

Glad everyone and the bikes ok.

It'll make for a great lol story for some time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your Pops sounds like a tough SOB :thumbsup: Keep on ridin' Poppa Cap!

But I can imagine how you must have felt when you initially talked to your Mom. ::9

Scary beginning w/ a happy ending that you all will all likely laugh about over dinner. Glad it was nothing serious.

Back