How many Gen I's made/How many stock ones remain?

bjewell

Registered
My '07 has been sleeping for two years in the garage. Recently I've returned to riding it to work. I don't see many Hayabusas around here. Got to wondering just how many were produced between 1999 and 2007. Looking at ebay, most for sale have been modded; I see very, very few totally stock bikes for listed. I wonder how many are left?

I need to get the bike serviced -- there's only 45 miles on the August 2010 oil change , but everything seems mushy, the front and rear brakes and especially the clutch. The rear brake travel is ridiculous and the clutch doesn't engage until the very end of the lever release. Is that normal? Don't recall that from before...

2679402150084317800S600x600Q85.jpg

Okay, good old craigslist (Suzuki Hayabusa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) helped out.

"Typically, a new sportbike model sells well in its first year, and then sees its numbers decline every year as it grows older. The Hayabusa reversed this pattern, selling in greater numbers every year from the 1999 launch through the 2008 revision.[6][49] From its debut in 1999 to June 2007 over 100,000 Hayabusas were sold worldwide.[28] In the United States in each of the years 2005 and 2006, over 10,000 units were sold."

Based on that article, I'm estimating they sold 60-80K in the USA between '99 and '07. How many Gen I's are still stock I dunno. But for collectors it's going to get harder and harder to find un-modded ones, like '32 Fords or '55 Chevys.

I have a friend of mine here that has an 05. Up until last year when he wrecked it, it was all stock. I like you don't see many stock ones either. Nice bike you have there sir. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm just now re-falling in love with the bike. Needs some tweaking from sitting for two years...

Im guessing a good service will clear up the mushyness. New fluids all the way around for the 'ol gal. :thumbsup:

factory original is always in demand. from a selling point it makes ur bike worth more not less at least to some point depending on what was done to a modified one.

I would luv to buy an all original 1986 GSXR 1100 in Blue and White. if it was modified I would not want it. I wouldnt even drive it. I would put it on a stand and look at it or an all original 1989 ZX-7.

but for it to be worth something stock it has to have low miles. that kinda defeats the whole purpose of owning one if ur not gonna ride it tho.

but if you want to go faster and ride smoother you have to modify it. but not everyone needs to go faster then it already goes.

Ya know I was just debating whether or not I should change mine. In the past 4 years I have put 4000 miles on my bike. Circumstances just kept it parked more than usual. But when I do take it out I do a good ride of a few hours at least. I run high end synthetic (Maxum). I go 6,000 miles between changes. I'm at 4000 now but I was debating if, because of the amount of time, I should do a change. The oil still looks absolutely new. At $16 a quart I debate if I'm happy about dumping $64 of oil plus a $10 filter just because it's 4 years old.

I have all of my oil and filter on the shelf for an oil change but again I guess I'm debating it because I believe the new synthetic oil technologies are very stable for a very long time.

It isn't about saving money, its about wasting it.

Ya know I was just debating whether or not I should change mine. In the past 4 years I have put 4000 miles on my bike. Circumstances just kept it parked more than usual. But when I do take it out I do a good ride of a few hours at least. I run high end synthetic (Maxum). I go 6,000 miles between changes. I'm at 4000 now but I was debating if, because of the amount of time, I should do a change. The oil still looks absolutely new. At $16 a quart I debate if I'm happy about dumping $64 of oil plus a $10 filter just because it's 4 years old.

I have all of my oil and filter on the shelf for an oil change but again I guess I'm debating it because I believe the new synthetic oil technologies are very stable for a very long time.

It isn't about saving money, its about wasting it.

If it were me, I would change all the fluids: brake fluid, oil, and new coolant if my bike had been sitting for two years. Also, if there is gas in the tank I would dump it or siphon it out and put fresh gas in and maybe run a little injector cleaner (from autozone) in the first couple tanks; even if you had stabilizer in it that gas is probably not very good. That's my two cents.

Stock 2003 sitting at my house; only mods he's had are cosmetic and being lowered :laugh: I think I'm near 30K on it...shows how little I truly get to ride :whistle:

Good suggestions, thanks. Bike runs great, starts right up. I always called it "Big Red." I've been a Zook fan my whole life. Only other Japanese-brand bike I had was a '63 Yamaha 125 street bike -- looked very Japanese -- in my senior year of high school. Never really cared for that maker and Hondas always seemed sanitized for your protection.

Had a Norton Atlas at one time but European bikes leave me cold It's been Suzuki and Harley for almost 50 years. At 67, the folding up part of riding the Busa hurts like hell after about 100 miles. On the best days the bike just disappears under me and it feels like I'm levitating and moving on my own power. Strange feeling, I guess in my hippie musician days it would be "becoming one with the bike..." -L- These days, it’s my legs, where the hell are my legs?â€￾ Sorta like “Trading Places.â€￾

to this day, still makes my heart skip a beat :cheerleader:

89-zx7-image-300w.jpg
lol Nice! I remember walking into the show room when I was 18 yrs old and seeing that on a rotating stand about 3 feet off the ground with ropes around protecting it from tire kickers like me:laugh:.

I would have given my left nut for one of those. the air tubes sticking thru the tank just made it look like something from the future. just awesome.

nice 07 you got there, i feel you and just picked up a 06 with 4k miles on it. I have done all the maintenance to bring her back to life and factory. not an easy task now days, but fortunately for me i have many of the parts needed, now if i can just get the factory decals I will be set.

My '07 is very close to stock. Brocks slip ons and after market brake lines are about it. 22,000 miles on it, and have just never felt the need to change anything else. I don't like chrome period, and stuff like extended swing arms and fat tires would be as counter productive to a corner junkie like me as smoking would be to a marathon runner. So, stock it stays.:thumbsup:

01 with a little over 14K miles. Only mods are cosmetic, grips levers wheels... And yosh slip ons I like the factory paint scheme too.

Back