How many of you know??????

I'll just say this, and you guys can hash this out however you see fit.

Steven (Tufbusa) is a race instructor for Mike Sullivan.

He has been riding longer than I have been alive and people actually pay for his knowledge and instruction and yes, his experience is probably vastly different for most of ours, since no one is paying most of us for riding lessons. If you think you know something about riding, just call him.

This was a fun thread and that was all that it was meant to be.

Quit'yer *****n!:poke:

As for you Randy Man, don't go tooting your own horn to loud just because you won the "Big Prize" :laugh:

And by the way, you don't even know what the prize is yet? :whistle:

Great to hear you both have put the "axes"away guys !! Both of you have become friends to me, by extending your:thumbsup: hands......different opinions is what the world is all about !!...but when it comes to Bikes.....we ALL basically turn the "wrenches"the same direction !!!...this is a GREAT web-site guys !!!

I just want to be TAUGHT! Tuf just how much are the race schools, whose bikes, etc?

I just want to be TAUGHT! Tuf just how much are the race schools, whose bikes, etc?

Here, a track day runs anywhere from $175 - $200. Track school is $300 per day and you furnish all your own equipment. There are schools that will furnish a bike as well but they are spendy and you are responsible for any damage to the bike if you crash. So no easy way out of a crash being expensive.

Here, a track day runs anywhere from $175 - $200. Track school is $300 per day and you furnish all your own equipment. There are schools that will furnish a bike as well but they are spendy and you are responsible for any damage to the bike if you crash. So no easy way out of a crash being expensive.

Even at track days, there is lots of instruction available. Control riders are almost always more than happy to help.

My advice: be polite and ask if he/she would mind following you around for a couple laps, do lots of listening (don't interrupt, don't ask a lot of questions, don't talk about what you think or what you've read or heard or tried, just absorb what the instructor says), say very little, do what they say, ask for feedback, and be appreciative.

You will get better fast, and the fun factor will increase dramatically the better you get. Plus you'll make new friends. It's a beautiful thing!

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheerleader:

Congratulation Randy Man, you are the "Stud" of the day! :thumbsup:

Yes, it's true, the only difference between a good corner drive and a highside is about an eigtht of an inch of throttle!

Almost all highsides on corner exits are due to a greedy throttle hand. You fellas can now have a little fun with your ridin buddies. Ask them this question and when they give you that blank stare, hold your right hand in the air making a fist as if to be gripping your throttle, give the hand a very slight movement as if to be adding throttle and say "About an eighth of an inch"!

I picked this up from Mike Sullivan who uses this demonstration in his classroom instruction. It's very simple but effective.

Thanks to everyone for playing along. It's been a fun thread! :thumbsup:

Makes total sense! I have tons of experience from this. A trackday from Willow springs big track on a hot, summer day in July. I was running BT-002RS so they were gettin a little greasy. As I was taking my normal mid corner speed thru the LONG T2 sweeper and at almost max Lean Angle @ 115MPH, I was able to feel the rear slip a little but nothing major. It's all about maintanence throttle and keeping power constant. But as I started to drive out of T2 and get her picked up on the short straight before T3, I started applying copious amounts of throttle, but gradually. The rear started gettin really sideways and it felt like I was doing the SuperMoto thang. I didn't panic by chopping the throttle b/c that would've caused big time chassis upset, possibly causing a massive highside at that speed (now around 120 MPH). Instead, I backed off slightly (prolly around 1/8" as indicated) until I felt the rear start to hook right back up, yet still have enough slip to gradually allow the rear to SLOWLY regain traction. I ended up saving it. However, I'm pretty sure I lost quite a bit of time as my forward momentum was negated by the short powerslide out of T2. If I only didn't turn the throttle as far on exit, the rear would've stayed hooked, yet slip only a tiny bit to aid steering and could've been one of the most killer drives of last summer. In hindsight though, It was SUPER FUN TO GET HER SIDEWAYS as I followed up almost every single lap afterwards doing the same thing just for kicks. I had one rider come up to me afterwards tell me that when he was following me on one of the sessions, I was laying down a good 25 ft blackie out of T2. I was just like :whistle::thumbsup::beerchug:

Back