How many of you know??????

Okay, let's try this, I'll give you the answer I'm looking for with some blanks. We'll see who can properly fill in the blanks? :whistle:

After reading some of the posts, maybe I should have phrased it a bit differently. The question "What IS the difference in a good corner drive and a highside"?

I have given you a vowel to get you started. Now you guys fill in the blanks! :beerchug:

Just place letters in the proper blank. If any of the letters are correct, I will post them up as they occur.

Let's have some fun here! :laugh:

Oops, the post won't let me space the underlines so I have placed an asterisk between each word.

Answer: (A _ _ _ _ * a _ * _ _ _ _ _ _ * _ _ * a _ * _ _ _ _!)

Last edited:
I'd like to solve the puzzle

'About an eighth of an inch'

*the crowd goes wild as the handsome lad from Alabama is congratulated by his long distance track instructor*

Last edited:
Good grief...
From now on, I'm only gonna pay attention to this thread if Vanna White shows up to turn the letters around.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cheers
ken

Jeez this isn't Wheel of Fortune! I'm ready for the explanation Tuf!

I am thinking the reference to an eighth of an inch refers to how far your brake fluid level should be from full when at track temps and at mean sea level...:whistle:

That.... or the rubber on the edge of the tire....

I'd like to solve the puzzle

'About an eighth of an inch'

*the crowd goes wild as the handsome lad from Alabama is congratulated by his long distance track instructor*

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheerleader:

Congratulation Randy Man, you are the "Stud" of the day! :thumbsup:

Yes, it's true, the only difference between a good corner drive and a highside is about an eigtht of an inch of throttle!

Almost all highsides on corner exits are due to a greedy throttle hand. You fellas can now have a little fun with your ridin buddies. Ask them this question and when they give you that blank stare, hold your right hand in the air making a fist as if to be gripping your throttle, give the hand a very slight movement as if to be adding throttle and say "About an eighth of an inch"!

I picked this up from Mike Sullivan who uses this demonstration in his classroom instruction. It's very simple but effective.

Thanks to everyone for playing along. It's been a fun thread! :thumbsup:

Wait a minute then I think I got the answer right too in post 26. Now I don't feel so stupid.

Ok, I watched the videos - from the street videos it appeared in both cases the rider broke rear traction by jerking the throttle too hard causing the rear tire to spin, and as soon as he let off, the rear tire regained traction, which caused the bike to flip (highside).

Agree this was fun, let's do it again!

Yes, it's true, the only difference between a good corner drive and a highside is about an eigtht of an inch of throttle!

That is really only a partial answer.
The same rider, on the same bike, in the same corner, with the same throttle position, can highside if he puts on too much rear brake.
So it could also be said, the difference between a good corner drive and a highside is about an eighth of an inch of rear brake.

Last edited:
Your inability distinguish between, transversal grip and post nasal drip, a lobotomy and a cocktail, and your difficulty in multisyllabic comprehension leads me to the obvious question:

Are you a Kawasaki ZX14 rider?

:poke: :laugh:

cheers
ken

An x14 rider?? That's hitting below the belt. :laugh: Now my feelings are hurt. But I'll be ok since I just bought a shiny new, 2008 gsxr 1000!! It's white to match the busa. Ordered some chinese plastic to save the oem WHEN i lay it down. Track bike only. We'll test Tuf's 1/4" rule at Thunder Hill Feb 21, 22.

Be there. It would be great to meet and ride with you guys.:thumbsup:

An x14 rider?? That's hitting below the belt. :laugh: Now my feelings are hurt. But I'll be ok since I just bought a shiny new, 2008 gsxr 1000!! It's white to match the busa. Ordered some chinese plastic to save the oem WHEN i lay it down. Track bike only. We'll test Tuf's 1/4" rule at Thunder Hill Feb 21, 22.

Be there. It would be great to meet and ride with you guys.:thumbsup:

I thought he said an eight of an inch ... :laugh:

That is really only a partial answer.
The same rider, on the same bike, in the same corner, with the same throttle position, can highside if he puts on too much rear brake.
So it could also be said, the difference between a good corner drive and a highside is about an eighth of an inch of rear brake.

Mikey, you need to put the bong away and try a track day!

You will learn a LOT and it won't include the rear brake on corner exits! :beerchug:

If the rear brake causes you to highside on a corner exit, you deserve to crash! :laugh:

I think that regardless of rear wheel antics, it is not a highside as long as you hang on to the bike. Rather a "Save". :laugh:

Mikey, you need to put the bong away and try a track day!

You will learn a LOT and it won't include the rear brake on corner exits! :beerchug:

If the rear brake causes you to highside on a corner exit, you deserve to crash! :laugh:

Hey Tuf

Whatever has gone on with us, here is what I feel:
You do have a lot of experience riding, teaching and mechanical etc.
You tend to have to prove your point by quoting someone else’s experience, rather than your own.
You don’t need to do that.
You tend to have to have people agree with you, or at least recognize your point of view.
We all have experiences and they are right or wrong…whatever.
Believe it or not, I respect you and your opinions.
I disagree with about half of them, but you and I come from a different place, and got our experience from different inputs.
I, as others, have been riding for about 40 years. The fact that I am still on the right side of the grass, commands respect, as I must be doing something right.
Your experience (which I can guess is somewhat the same) is also as valuable and important as mine.
My point is that there are things to be learned here (and elsewhere) from the lowliest of experience levels, and they are as valuable as the sources you quote.
We have had fun pulling each other’s pud, but know this: There will be no growth or increase in knowledge by associating only with people that agree with you.
There are many ways to the top of the mountain and just because we both got up there does not mean our individual path is the best one.
Arguing semantics or lawyering our discussions diminishes both of us and those that read our posts.
You and I have traveled a journey by different paths, ( reaching the same destination), and that in itself is worthy of respect.
Take solace in the fact that you are valued and respected, and that all may not agree with you, but….so what?
You also are on the right side of the grass so you also are an expert in your own right.

Mike, I understand that you have issues with me. However, a public forum is not the place to air one's dirty laundry. I am happy to debate any subject which I am familiar with as long as it's not personal. If you want to discuss how you feel about me, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to chat.

If I have offended you, I offer you my humble apology!

Hey Tuf

Whatever has gone on with us, here is what I feel:
You do have a lot of experience riding, teaching and mechanical etc.
You tend to have to prove your point by quoting someone else’s experience, rather than your own.
You tend to have to have people agree with you, or at least recognize your point of view.
We all have experiences and they are right or wrong…whatever.
Believe it or not, I respect you and your opinions.
I disagree with about half of them, but you and I come from a different place, and got our experience from different inputs.
I, as others, have been riding for about 40 years. The fact that I am still on the right side of the grass, commands respect, as I must be doing something right.
Your experience (which I can guess is somewhat the same) is also as valuable and important as mine.
My point is that there are things to be learned here (and elsewhere) from the lowliest of experience levels, and they are as valuable as the sources you quote.
We have had fun pulling each other’s pud, but know this: There will be no growth or increase in knowledge by associating only with people that agree with you.
There are many ways to the top of the mountain and just because we both got up there does not mean our individual path is the best one.
Arguing semantics or lawyering our discussions diminishes both of us and those that read our posts.
You and I have traveled a journey by different paths, ( reaching the same destination), and that in itself is worthy of respect.
Take solace in the fact that you are valued and respected, and that all may not agree with you, but….so what?
You also are on the right side of the grass so you also are an expert in your own right.

If I have offended you, I offer you my humble apology!

Thanks Steven.
I apologize too if I have offended you. :bowdown:
I don't really have any issues with you, which was the message in my last post.
(I still reserve the right to disagree with you and do offer you the right to disagree with me, anytime).
Like I said, the only way I feel we learn is to hear opinions that are contrary to our own.
Peace buddy.....and yeah beer is good if we ever meet!

Last edited:
I'll just say this, and you guys can hash this out however you see fit.

Steven (Tufbusa) is a race instructor for Mike Sullivan.

He has been riding longer than I have been alive and people actually pay for his knowledge and instruction and yes, his experience is probably vastly different for most of ours, since no one is paying most of us for riding lessons. If you think you know something about riding, just call him.

This was a fun thread and that was all that it was meant to be.

Quit'yer *****n!:poke:

Good job Mikey! A good attitude goes a long way in any circle! I agree, a good debate is a learning curve for everyone! I'd be happy to chug a beer with you any time! :beerchug:

Back