How do lighter wheels change handling?

I like Canelo in the rematch in tough fight by decision. Also have Garcia over Porter this weekend.
Garcia is lookin sharp... lotta sharks at 147 though... Spence owns that division, and I really don't see Terrance Crawford carrying the weight up.... as an amateur he fought a few of his current competition.. and he didn't always win... Spence is gonna make a lot of people a lot of money.

Ahh...the good ole smacktalk thread...jeez that was fun. We had a blast with that - and while competitive all in good humor. Sadly, Jay now has two sons that take up all his time, but Charlie is still around, and is going to come out to Barber in October. I'm the only one still coaching. Macon is the MAN I've never seen anyone ride a Busa like him. I still have my Busa, but don't ride on the streets much anymore as I'm getting my fix on the track.

Arch, Wheels: While you may feel a difference in turn in, the cost vs. benefit ratio isn't really worth it unless you just want to spend money on your bike - which I understand :) . What you REALLLY need to spend your money on is TRAINING - i.e. learn to squeeze out what you have already at a trackday. Macon is riding a STOCK bike and smoking EVERYBODY. Tuf (who I just spoke with yesterday) is the white-haired Zen Master - he no longer has a Busa but he will flat-out smoke just about anyone here on the racetrack - and then come in and tell you exactly how he did it to make YOU a better rider.

Lastly, you guys challenging each other is fine and all, but it's also a good way to hurt yourselves if you are doing it on the street. Take it to the track.

Well if you guys want to label some one a legend these are your boys!

Well if you guys want to
label some one a legend
these are your boys !

43D9ECEF-1AF2-48D9-8EC9-EEF40DE69069.jpeg

Willie, BMW school is coming back to VIR in the spring, 2019(if not before).
$500 with your own bike, $750 with theirs.
I'm saving my change(their bike), and if all goes well, I'll be there.
Maybe you or a few other members may show up. It's only an hour from my house.
I had gave up on VIR since they ditched SuperBike, and put up that stupid bike killer curbing to keep cars from cutting the track.
A friend of mine has done a few track days their last year and this year, and says the curbing is gone(looked like 3 phone books stacked at an angle all the way around).
So now I'm interested again.

Several of us ran VIR (South and Full) earlier this year. It does have a learning curve, but it is a realllly nice venue!

Makes senses to me, that bike must have a pile of money into it for it to be getting to those speeds, they aren't known for going that fast....I know I sure wouldn't want to be on it with those handlebars....

Several of us ran VIR (South and Full) earlier this year. It does have a learning curve, but it is a realllly nice venue!

I went there to watch SuperBike for several years. It really looks like a fun track, and the location is beautiful.
I'de love to ride it, especially with direction from track coaches.

I like the start/finish straight. It has a slight dogleg in it that feels like a 90 degree turn at 160 mph! Also the twisting run down hill on the back half is cool but spooky if you are a rookie!

I watched Matt Miladin crash at 164mph in the straight away...he walked away with a bruised elbow.
I watched him win the race the next year in 7th place...he'd lapped that many guys. 2 more laps and he'd have passed the whole field.
VIR always had exciting races.

WTH does he mean, that Hawg was unstable at 140-150 mph? Is he kidding?:laugh:

My Harley is a Roadglide touring model. Probably weighs around 950lbs and has maybe @ best 70HP. Riding down the highway I can comfortably do 100mph.

Those Dyna/FXR’s are 300lbs lighter and a lot of guys are running S&S 124 motors in them which can easily double the HP that my bike makes. To go 150mph on a bike like that isn’t out of the question

Some of those tricked out FXR’s are unbelievably fast and handle like an oversized dirtbike on steroids. Plenty of those bikes have hurt Squids feelings in the Hills of CA......

Last edited:
Can't say I been top ending the L2 lately to test how the stability is with the bike as light as it is presently . I refer to the lighter front end and some unsprung weight reduction . On my favorite local ride , I have found the bike feels and responds like a much lighter weight bike , but tempered to an extent by the long wheelbase , so is flickable and fun in turns , but not nervous , even as the tank empties to lower capacity .
I do however find the bike sometimes subject to crosswinds and gusts , in say a fast uphill entry into a corner that maintains a consistent commitment all the way around the apex , from the initial uphill climb to mid corner and follow through to downhill exit , when your bike gets light at the top crest , cranked over . But even in this example , with strong multi directional gusts , my Busa is far from nervous , but I exercise whatever degree of caution necessary for conditions anyway .
When your bike is dramatically top heavy , like I imagine that Harley , with those bars ?? , any weight lower down is going to be a good thing . A bit off track , but I have seen the lads on youtube do some really wild amazing canyon riding on Sportster like HD's ( which I have ridden ) and they also certainly can get them working real well stunting nowadays . But , in my experience , on real world riding on the road , especially so tight corner hills riding , stupidity / balls / skill , can even things out to a large degree for all but the most unsuitable bikes . For a rider has choices , ranging from remaining on his side of the road , to as stupid as you like . To ride fast defensively , a rider has to have set limits , so he who does not and takes the most risk can be fastest any day .

Hanging out at Alices Restaurant one day an old guy on a piped RD400 came up from the coast road and a few moments later, a half dozen disgruntled 600 riders showed up, all less than 25 years old, maybe younger. The old guy was laughing and another rider who had witnessed the ‘race’ said the RD guy was passing the 600s on the outside of every corner. He even let some get around him so he could rail past them again. The youngsters were walking around his bike wondering WTH had just happened.:laugh: Talent combined with just the right bike can make all the difference.

Hanging out at Alices Restaurant one day an old guy on a piped RD400 came up from the coast road and a few moments later, a half dozen disgruntled 600 riders showed up, all less than 25 years old, maybe younger. The old guy was laughing and another rider who had witnessed the ‘race’ said the RD guy was passing the 600s on the outside of every corner. He even let some get around him so he could rail past them again. The youngsters were walking around his bike wondering WTH had just happened.:laugh: Talent combined with just the right bike can make all the difference.
Now I miss my RD400...thanks......

Now I miss my RD400...thanks......

I’ve never owned one but I did ride a piped RD 350 some time back. Felt like a toy compared to the Busa. Ages ago I got to ride what might be considered to be the first ‘haulin azz 2 stroke’, the Suzuki X6 Hustler. It was only a 250 and being from the 60s, didn’t handle or brake well but man did it haul azz!

I’ve never owned one but I did ride a piped RD 350 some time back. Felt like a toy compared to the Busa. Ages ago I got to ride what might be considered to be the first ‘haulin azz 2 stroke’, the Suzuki X6 Hustler. It was only a 250 and being from the 60s, didn’t handle or brake well but man did it haul azz!
I had a '79 RD400 Daytona that had shaved heads, ported, polished, Boydsen reeds, Micron pipes, Wiseco pistons, K&N pods and professionally tuned...it was a real terror to ride and surprised many a bigger bike..

My first street bike was a '74 Kawi 250 triple...it was real heavy for a 250 but had gobs of power....and the sound........and 2 stroke smell........

I wish I still had them today

Back