How do lighter wheels change handling?

I am sure that light wheels ~ increase your mileage as well •

F5B8454C-CED7-40F6-9CF7-493E8F1400B6.jpeg

but really arch would be after a small turbo WITH really good boost control with smooth ramping... he could geek the hell out with a laptop and an ams2k... would be busy for weeks.
You don't even need to bother with all that turbo stuff. You could just install a plenum with a breather tube attached to it. With all that hot air you could blow 15 psi yourself, lol!

The saddle bags on my BMW are worth more than that turbo!
that gtx turbo was like 2500 itself... ill never understand why he needed to try to improve a super ultra kit..... its quite the sight though... I don't even wanna try to work on it.... when I was going through the battery BS... I was sooo paranoid i was gonna rip a wire loose just swapping batteries...

Last edited:
Ever come to Iowa you can ride my turbo busa if you want to try it out. No ohlins or brembro but on a flat road does it matter. Only have ever let my dad ride it.

When he has let me drive these I can’t tell him no.

View attachment 1584910

View attachment 1584911
How old is your father bro !!?? Those are serious 1/4 mile weapons , your old Dad must be a kick ass capable dude bro !!

I have been considering lighter wheels for the Busa for quite some time. I understand how they can improve the bikes turning, but I don't want it to be "twitchy". I used to run 55 series tires at the track but felt them too nervous for the road. While many say the Busa is a slow turner, I find the OEM setup very good for back road blasting, which is mainly how I ride my Busa. I use counter steering and the half a cheek off the seat method of convincing the bike to make direction changes and this works magically. I like not having to watch the bike every second. I can look at the GPS, watch the corn zipping by, or look behind me for that unmarked car hiding in the slower traffic without the bike inadvertently heading in the direction I'm looking.

So here is my question: do lighter wheels make the bike twitchy, or just more willing to follow direction?
Google “unsprung mass” and why it is so important for high performance vehicles. First year college in automotive engineering.

Google “unsprung mass” and why it is so important for high performance vehicles. First year college in automotive engineering.

I understand the physics. My question was not whether or not lighter wheels are superior performance wise, it was will this take away the Busa's relaxed feel on the road - which is perfect for back road blasting.

THE UNDERDOG IS ON TOP …….
When the Alvarez-Golovkin II match was confirmed in June, Golovkin opened at -190, meaning you’d have to wager $190 to win $100, while Alvarez was a +155 underdog (you’d earn $155 by betting $100). But since then, bettors are favoring Alvarez.

Last week, Golovkin was -175, and Alvarez was +145. On Thursday, those odds had tilted further in Alvarez’s favor—Golovkin is now -160 and Alvarez is +130.
This is historical stuff...…..

The first fight—where Golovkin was -155 and Alvarez was +125 beforehand—was ruled a draw, but most observers believe Golovkin won. Combine that with the fact that Alvarez will have been out of the ring for 364 days after failing two drug tests, and you can understand why Golovkin would have opened as the favorite in the rematch. But bettors are putting their money on Alvarez thus far.

Alvarez isn't a cheater.... not really... he is lazy.... it was banned weight loss drugs..... bfd

I like Canelo in the rematch in tough fight by decision. Also have Garcia over Porter this weekend.

I understand the physics. My question was not whether or not lighter wheels are superior performance wise, it was will this take away the Busa's relaxed feel on the road - which is perfect for back road blasting.

The physics of unsprung answers that perfectly. lighter wheels = more comfortable ride, better suspension performance, better handling. The worse road surface conditions get the more light weight wheels will improve the ride feel.

This thread was the original smack talk thread and the true legends of the .org all posted here. The teasing is a little more mean spirited nowadays but this tradition is as old as the org. Read this knowing these guys all had the highest respect for each other and had that racer's mindset that you leave the mess on the track with the best lap times. I never got a Team Gixxer decal, started track days after most of these guys had moved on. Some still rode the Busa on track but most moved on to liter bikes setup up for the track.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/the-official-team-gixxer-smacktalk-thread.154754/

Ahh...the good ole smacktalk thread...jeez that was fun. We had a blast with that - and while competitive all in good humor. Sadly, Jay now has two sons that take up all his time, but Charlie is still around, and is going to come out to Barber in October. I'm the only one still coaching. Macon is the MAN I've never seen anyone ride a Busa like him. I still have my Busa, but don't ride on the streets much anymore as I'm getting my fix on the track.

Arch, Wheels: While you may feel a difference in turn in, the cost vs. benefit ratio isn't really worth it unless you just want to spend money on your bike - which I understand :) . What you REALLLY need to spend your money on is TRAINING - i.e. learn to squeeze out what you have already at a trackday. Macon is riding a STOCK bike and smoking EVERYBODY. Tuf (who I just spoke with yesterday) is the white-haired Zen Master - he no longer has a Busa but he will flat-out smoke just about anyone here on the racetrack - and then come in and tell you exactly how he did it to make YOU a better rider.

Lastly, you guys challenging each other is fine and all, but it's also a good way to hurt yourselves if you are doing it on the street. Take it to the track.

Willie, BMW school is coming back to VIR in the spring, 2019(if not before).
$500 with your own bike, $750 with theirs.
I'm saving my change(their bike), and if all goes well, I'll be there.
Maybe you or a few other members may show up. It's only an hour from my house.
I had gave up on VIR since they ditched SuperBike, and put up that stupid bike killer curbing to keep cars from cutting the track.
A friend of mine has done a few track days their last year and this year, and says the curbing is gone(looked like 3 phone books stacked at an angle all the way around).
So now I'm interested again.

I like Canelo in the rematch in tough fight by decision. Also have Garcia over Porter this weekend.
Ahh...the good ole smacktalk thread...jeez that was fun. We had a blast with that - and while competitive all in good humor. Sadly, Jay now has two sons that take up all his time, but Charlie is still around, and is going to come out to Barber in October. I'm the only one still coaching. Macon is the MAN I've never seen anyone ride a Busa like him. I still have my Busa, but don't ride on the streets much anymore as I'm getting my fix on the track.

Arch, Wheels: While you may feel a difference in turn in, the cost vs. benefit ratio isn't really worth it unless you just want to spend money on your bike - which I understand :) . What you REALLLY need to spend your money on is TRAINING - i.e. learn to squeeze out what you have already at a trackday. Macon is riding a STOCK bike and smoking EVERYBODY. Tuf (who I just spoke with yesterday) is the white-haired Zen Master - he no longer has a Busa but he will flat-out smoke just about anyone here on the racetrack - and then come in and tell you exactly how he did it to make YOU a better rider.

Lastly, you guys challenging each other is fine and all, but it's also a good way to hurt yourselves if you are doing it on the street. Take it to the track.
agree 1000 percent.. the cost vs. benefit ratio is laughable.

Back