Gen 1 lighter wheel's

mike04busa

Registered
What wheel's are the easiest to get on the gen 1? I have access to a lathe if I need to make any spacer's. Info on wheel's, rotor's, axle's, brake caliper's, I want to get the adaptors and put on gen 2 caliper's on anyway. Anything I would need to know would be great. The wheel's that were on my 750 felt like they were half the weight. So i'am thinking this would be a great mod for the busa.

There's a lot of people including myself who have R1 wheels on their busa's. All it requires is a machined front axle. Some have done gsxr 1000 wheels as well but they usually swap out the front end with that of a gsxr 1000 as well. There's a few threads on here and psychobike that discuss what's needed and the weight difference etc. etc.

There's a lot of people including myself who have R1 wheels on their busa's. All it requires is a machined front axle. Some have done gsxr 1000 wheels as well but they usually swap out the front end with that of a gsxr 1000 as well. There's a few threads on here and psychobike that discuss what's needed and the weight difference etc. etc.
Wow you gotta tell more about r1 wheels. I've always like 5 spoke wheels

I've been eyeing up this swap for some time now seems like "economical mod" lol love the look of five spoke over factory.

Easiest way to find out more is just google "Hayabusa R1 rims" and you'll see the threads from this site and Psychobike forum.

I initially got the idea from the thread about it on this forum. Then got in contact with the guy who machines the front axles on Psycho bike. They have a 10+ page thread about doing this mod on there with a lot of info and pics. They always have sets of R1 rims on ebay fairly cheap and also occasionally on Psychobike 4 sale with the axle. Had them on my busa 4 over 2+ years now with no issues

Easiest way to find out more is just google "Hayabusa R1 rims" and you'll see the threads from this site and Psychobike forum.

I initially got the idea from the thread about it on this forum. Then got in contact with the guy who machines the front axles on Psycho bike. They have a 10+ page thread about doing this mod on there with a lot of info and pics. They always have sets of R1 rims on ebay fairly cheap and also occasionally on Psychobike 4 sale with the axle. Had them on my busa 4 over 2+ years now with no issues

That dude's account is banned on psychobike. I have a few pm's out . I know a guy at a machine shop so if it comes down to it. I will bring my bike and the wheels and axles to him to figure it out.

That dude's account is banned on psychobike. I have a few pm's out . I know a guy at a machine shop so if it comes down to it. I will bring my bike and the wheels and axles to him to figure it out.
The guy who makes the fabbed front axle needed for the conversion is Chop Jr. on psychobike and his account is not banned. Pm him and post a wanted add for the axle. You'll get a response quick.

Forgot to mention that chop will also give you any additional info you may need. I do know you'll need to use the r1 front and rear rotors, sprocket along with the fabbed front axle. On the rear the busa axle and brake assembly you can use. Hope the info helps out some and I'm not telling you what you already know.

Marchesini, Dymag , there are tons out there available for the Gen1

I have the Marchesini with custom front rotor set up

brake%20_1_.JPG

BB

I have the front axle on the way. I'am looking for a complete set of the r1 wheel's at the right price now. When I get all the stuff I will post all of my finding's and post up pics. So far I have the front axle and a rear caliper hanger from a TL1000. The LT hanger moves the rear caliper closer to the axle center so you can still use your busa brake part's. Look's to be about 10mm closer. We will see how it line's up once I grab some wheels. The axle guy on psycho bike is "CHOPJR"

Got the axle, and the tl 1000 rear caliper hanger. Now to get some wheels. Gotta get some side work done so I can pick some up. Work, work, work, wheeeeew. I can get a set of wheel's for a good price. Only issue is there yellow. Unless someone has a set of black they will trade for yellow? I can buy the yellow and swap them for the black. I may just grab them and powder coat them.

Ok, so far I have a set of 2005 R1 wheel's, most of the part's to go along with them. Waiting for a call back on a set of front wave rotors. So far I have about $360 in part's. Pics to come soon. I will lay out all the part's and take pic's as I start the fitting and swap.

Wheel's are on. I couldn't use the TL rear brake hanger. It put the inside of the caliper right into the center of the rear wheel. I have a R1 caliper and hangar on the way. The brake works for now, the whole pad doe's not hit the rotor due to the rear rotor on the R1 being smaller.

Rear
Whole rear wheel assembly, spacers and all.
I put a thin washer between the brake caliper hangar and the swing arm. I didn't want to tighten the axle nut and squeeze the swing arm.
I used some washer's between the caliper and the hanger.
Ready to ride.

Front
Ft axle from CHOPJR on psycho bike.
Whole ft. wheel assembly, spacers and all.
I put a few washers between the calipers and the forks so the calipers were centered.
Ready to ride.

It's a lot more simple then you think to swap these wheels on the busa.

The 2004-2006 front wheels have the correct size front rotors.
Pic's this week. I hope this helps some of you guys out. With the rear caliper and all I have $380 into the swap. That's with buying a few spacers new also.

Back