Fork swap on Gen 1

Ratlin’busa

Registered
Hi y’all,
I see a lot of posts on this, but one thing I can’t seem to find is axle fitment. I’d like to swap forks for something with radial calipers. But I want to know if there is a fork set I can run while keeping my current axle. I am running an R1 wheel conversion with the MHP conversion axle. So I’d like to keep my R1 wheel. I can figure out spacers for the rotors, calipers ect, but can I keep my axle? I read somewhere 03-04 GSXR 750 forks use the same axle as the Gen 1 busa, but other says you have to run the entire front end on any swap. But I can’t find any confirmation on if any swap can run a Gen 1 axle. Pic of my busa as it sits now.

Thanks for any insight.

639F8BD3-320E-41AE-9BF9-60CD57995C91.jpeg

E37D069D-2014-4234-9168-41A35CA79BB3.jpeg

@Ratlin’busa

I suspect the brake calipers are not as effective as you expect?
then go to ur garage/workshop and do a deep cleanse like I described here.
together with the organic pads from EBC, which allow the brake discs to live much longer than semi-/ full- sintered ones, etc.,
after the deep cleanse you will have a wonderful front brake.

the deep cleanse is due about every 30,000 km - my experience with all gen1 .

if you really want to convert the gen1 to radial calipers, you can only do this with a complete front end from the fork, calipers/pads, brake lines and discs to the rim and axle.

my hint?

save the money 4 parts and do the cleaning first.

if after that job, whatfor u only need 1 litre new dot and 4-6 h time (+ some tools), the brakes doesn´t work fine ´n satisfactory
you still can change but with lots of costs (I estimate a total of around 1800 euros - preowned parts) to radial calipers.
but if that never take the calipers from the 08-12 but only the 13-19 brembo calipers.

2nd hint - after the deep cleanse try additionally, for street use, the 17mm radial brake pump eg. ducati 749 or 999 like i did - fantastic result 30% less needed power in the right hand for similar braking compared to the originals (5/8")

@Ratlin’busa

I suspect the brake calipers are not as effective as you expect?
then go to ur garage/workshop and do a deep cleanse like I described here.
together with the organic pads from EBC, which allow the brake discs to live much longer than semi-/ full- sintered ones, etc.,
after the deep cleanse you will have a wonderful front brake.

the deep cleanse is due about every 30,000 km - my experience with all gen1 .

if you really want to convert the gen1 to radial calipers, you can only do this with a complete front end from the fork, calipers/pads, brake lines and discs to the rim and axle.

my hint?

save the money 4 parts and do the cleaning first.

if after that job, whatfor u only need 1 litre new dot and 4-6 h time (+ some tools), the brakes doesn´t work fine ´n satisfactory
you still can change but with lots of costs (I estimate a total of around 1800 euros - preowned parts) to radial calipers.
but if that never take the calipers from the 08-12 but only the 13-19 brembo calipers.

2nd hint - after the deep cleanse try additionally, for street use, the 17mm radial brake pump eg. ducati 749 or 999 like i did - fantastic result 30% less needed power in the right hand for similar braking compared to the originals (5/8")
I did a deep clean on these calipers when I got the bike. They weren’t too bad internally. I have yet to do a radial master cylinder swap. But I’m working to turn this bike into a land speed bike. So I’m wanting to go full upgrade with mono block radial calipers, radial master cylinder, braided lines, and pads. I have ebc HH in there now. But the biggest thing is, I want to keep my wheel/axle. I’ve done the R1 wheels conversion with ceramic bearings and they are excellent, thus I really want to keep them. I read the 03-04 GSXR 750 forks are slightly longer and thus there’s a bit more ride height adjustability aswell along with the radial setup. One post said the hayabusa axle works but I couldn’t get any other post to confirm. They all do what most do and swap everything.

What year ducati 749 or 999 brake pump do you recommend?

what year? doesn´t matter as far as i know - all of them are equal - piston dia = 17 mm

the only pieces you additionally need with em are the reservoir in cylindric form plus the hose and a new "holder",
because the originals are more or less identically formed like the busa´s (same at clutch wich has a 15mm piston)

Back