Which Front End Swap ( Forks,rims and brakes

• GSXR 1000

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Gen 2 Busa

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

SABUSABOY

Registered
Front End Swap ( Forks, rims and brakes )

If you only had enough cash to do a front fork swap on your Gen1 that will be street ridden and be used at the track a few times a year?
From which bike would you choose? GSXR 1000 or Gen 2 Busa

Last edited:
You do realize if you replace your Gen I forks with either you have to replace the entire front end including brakes, rotors, wheel and possibly the triple tree depending on forks you choose?

Yeah, i meant complete swap of front ends. Forks, rims, brakes, discs etc. I also going to have to change the rear rim to match the front, but i want to see peoples thoughts on which would be better.

Depends on the year of the GSXR. Have you looked at a Ohlins fork kit? That might be a little more than an ebay front end, but I think you would get a better result. If you swap to a GSXR 1K front you still need to re-spring as the Busa is much heavier than the 1K. To me the best advantage of the 1K front end is the brake calipers on the 1K are better.

I'm not being a know it all i'm just going through the exact same thought process as you are right now for my Gen II. My thinking right now is to do an Ohlins fork kit, Ohlins rear shock and GSXR 1K front calipers.

You do realize the 08 and up busa front end is exactly the same thing as the 1k? we had guys sending us their 08 forks to have them lightened by turning them down a bit and after looking at both sets they are the same.

I would be leaning towards the Gen 2 swap anyway, basically a straight bolt out and bolt into a Gen1 if using the complete front end. I just have to worry about the rear then.

Depends on the year of the GSXR. Have you looked at a Ohlins fork kit? That might be a little more than an ebay front end, but I think you would get a better result. If you swap to a GSXR 1K front you still need to re-spring as the Busa is much heavier than the 1K. To me the best advantage of the 1K front end is the brake calipers on the 1K are better.

I'm not being a know it all i'm just going through the exact same thought process as you are right now for my Gen II. My thinking right now is to do an Ohlins fork kit, Ohlins rear shock and GSXR 1K front calipers.

Your Gen II comes with an entire Gixxer 1K front including calipers. I'm not sure on the spring rate for the Gen II if it's the same as the gixxer which comes with a 1.05 fork spring. It feels stiffer than the Gen I with .85 springs but I can't tell you if the two are the same? Maybe you know?

I would be leaning towards the Gen 2 swap anyway, basically a straight bolt out and bolt into a Gen1 if using the complete front end. I just have to worry about the rear then.

you dont need the complete front end. only the forks and brake set ups. everything else is optional.

No you need the lower triple tree also. My Gen1 lower triple tree would not fit with the Gen2 forks. I had to use Gen2 lower triple tree. You need the forks, lower triple tree, front rim, rotors and calipers.

Your Gen II comes with an entire Gixxer 1K front including calipers. I'm not sure on the spring rate for the Gen II if it's the same as the gixxer which comes with a 1.05 fork spring. It feels stiffer than the Gen I with .85 springs but I can't tell you if the two are the same? Maybe you know?

I don't know. I know there are Ohlins fork kits for the 1000 that won't work on the Gen II though, so there must be some difference. There is a guy I have heard that can alter the Ohlins kit for the 1000 to work on the Gen II. Anyone know anything more about this? I am very curious.

To me, the whole idea is going around the block to go next door! Gold Valve, respring, new juice your stock forks and install a radial brake lever, dedicated s/s lines, pads, high end rotors and the proper tires. I'm not sure a complete Ohlins front end is any better than that. I just rode for 5 hours on the track on a hot day and front end performance never varied and was superb all day! Raydog

Unless your trying to break some new ground I would do as several other members have suggested and just respring/revalve the stock equipment.

As far as the similarities of the Gen II and GSXR 1000 forks what years are you talking about?

Don't most of the newer GSXR 1000s have high and lowspeed compression dampening? I'm pretty sure my GenII only has was one adjustment for compression not two.

If you are 200 pounds or less naked and can't out ride all your friends and most of their friends your stock suspension works pretty dang well. Proper tuning of the suspension you have (Most all current sportbikes) will serve you better than upgrading the suspension and not knowing how to tune it.

Look at suspenson this way: Let's say your stock suspension is like a $79 sterio from Costco with Bass-Treble-Balance. Three knobs to tune the unit. Anyone can tune it to sound about as good as it will ever get. Now let's say we buy Ohlins goodies and upgrade the suspension which will improve the bikes ability greatly but it's now like a Studio Sound system with 60 controls operated by the same guy with three knobs of experience. You move a few knobs and you are quickly lost. The same works with suspension.

Learn to use the simple basic stuff before spending a pile of $$ on something you can't operate anyway. Spend your excess $$ on the software (YOU) first. Spending $$ on suspension before upgrading the Software is putting the cart before the horse! :beerchug:

This is how the entire learning curve works. You go do your first track day and have the trackside vendor set your suspension baseline. You are thrilled with the feel and how your bike handles! Three track days later you have trimmed ten seconds off your lap times and your suspension is feeling a bit vague. You go back to the suspension vendor and he gives it a click or two here and there and it's a new bike and you are once again happy.

This senerio plays out over and over again as the lap times decrease first by big chunks and progressively comes down to one second intervals until your stock suspension has run out of adjustments in one or more areas. At this time, you have improved your software to the point your suspension has reached it's max and should be upgraded to keep up with the software (YOU).

IMO the software should always be upgraded first followed by suspension in a stairstep of events. Spend your money on improving your skills until you actually need an upgrade in suspension.

Same goes for brakes. If you aren't going to spend the time and effort to improve your braking skills and braking is a learned skill that not many riders excell at, it's a waste of cash on upgrading brake performance before improving the software that operates the lever. :beerchug:

Gen 1 uses a 6 piston caliper that bolts side ways to the fork. Its heavier then a 4 piston caliper. It flexs more due to its mounting.

Gen 2 uses a 4 piston caliper from the 07-08 gsxr 1000. It also mounts straight down over the rotor and fork. This allows the caliper to flex less and be lighter. Also less flexing means more power and feel to the brake pads, rotor, and lever.

Radial master cylinder is a better design then the stock master cylinder. More feel and power when squeezing the lever over stock.

Now if you want a bit lighter caliper that is stronger then the Gen 2 stock caliper. Then Gen 2 is a 2 piece caliper, where the new gixxer caliper isnt. A set of 09-11 gsxr 1000 front brake calipers will do the trick. Can be had on ebay for $150-225.

If braking performance is what you want on the cheap for either Gen 1-Gen 2. Go with brembo radial master cylinder RCS 19, SS lines, and ebc extreme pads. It will haul the big girl down much much better, have better feel, and no brake fade.

Back