05 gsxr1000 fork swap/need advice

big ed

Donating Member
Registered
I have a friend that is piecing out a 05 gsxr1000 & I could pick up the forks,rotors,calipers & master super cheap.my question is will this all just swap over & will I be able to mount my front fender & rims without turning it into a project?......thanks in advance

you will need all that you stated and the axle from the 1000 you can use the busa wheel but you will need to get spacers for the calipers so the rotors will work. you will also need to do a shim on the lower triple so it can be clamped better. Some have used a laminating paper and raped it around them. if you do a search there is someone that may make a shim for you. there is also someone out there that makes the Spacers for the Calipers to work properly

As for the front fender there will be alittle bit of mocking to get that and allittle fab work. but easy home garage type stuff

I have a friend that is piecing out a 05 gsxr1000 & I could pick up the forks,rotors,calipers & master super cheap.my question is will this all just swap over & will I be able to mount my front fender & rims without turning it into a project?......thanks in advance

I think you shim the upper clamp

you can use 03-04 gsxr 1000 rotors...they will bolt right onto your wheels and no spacers are then required.

You will either need to make brackets, mod the forks, use a gixxer fender or mod your busa fender in regards to the fender.

Also stock hayabusa brake lines are a tad short for the radial setup....odds are you won't notice this in riding position but on a stem lift stand it will be obvious.

so how much is super cheap?

05 gsxr1k rotors will not bolt onto the busa wheel, but you can use the gixxer wheel.

its got 6500 on the odometer.the parts Im getting & the motor are all thats good on it

so it should bolt right(whole assembly) in other than shimming the triple tree for the forks & if I have to run the front gsx rim what about the rear?is that a straight bolt on ?

so it should bolt right(whole assembly) in other than shimming the triple tree for the forks & if I have to run the front gsx rim what about the rear?is that a straight bolt on ?

I personally would run the rotors I listed and keep the busa wheels if a budget is in mind.

You need custom spacers if you run the gixxer rear rim.

just to make sure I can swap the forks,calipers,master cyl. but,I should run 03-04 rotors(bolt directly to busa rims)what about the axle?

just to make sure I can swap the forks,calipers,master cyl. but,I should run 03-04 rotors(bolt directly to busa rims)what about the axle?
gixxer axle.

after you get it together, make sure to spin the wheel and listen the brakes are not binding on the rotors...you might need to shim the rotors to get proper spacing. Most guys use shims/washers under the rotors.(i they need to space them)

master cylinder can be swapped to your current brakes...will be an improvement.

trying to understand what you are trying to gain.

its a $150.00 brake inprovement.........its really cheap or should I just swap the master?

its a $150.00 brake inprovement.........its really cheap or should I just swap the master?

busa springs seem heavier than the gixxer units even though the gixxer units are rated higher on certain models.

yes the radials with an upgraded M.C. will give you more stopping power and yes it is a core change to another level of performance but you are on a spending route.

gixxer forks, I would respring, maybe even do the whole revalve if you want.
springs will set ya back another $100 and no I don't know if you can swap the busa springs over....before ya ask :poke:

So that puts ya $250 for slightly better brake setup.

Ideally, if you want better brakes on a busa you upgrade your pads, then your lines, then your M.C. then your calipers or rotors. Total package can cost in the thousands depending on brands you chose. Some really trick setups out there.

Don't forget, you still need to think about the fender issue.

depends on whatca want and your total budget.

here's some of my parts on the must add pile...

set of 03 and 06 gixxer 1k forks.

Picture538.jpg

pads & tephlon lines done.would it even be worth swapping the master?......I swaped the master on my 00 zx12 for a 08 zx10 & felt a huge difference.

Back