Hot rainy summer ride - thinking I need a new type of glove!

Blrry

Registered
Went for a ride in the hill country of Texas today!
OFzDqw.jpg

It was my first real ride since I picked up my broken Busa from the movers.
8q88Jt.jpg

Taped down the shattered fairing, adjusted the bent mirror and off I went. (They're going to pay for it, just have to wait 'till June 1 to pick up the rest of my household items to file a claim).

Anyway, the weather was WET. I find riding in Texas so far to be akin to riding around in an armpit most days, but today had fog and rain as well. Riding in the rain in Seattle every day for 5 years was no problem. Riding in the rain in Alaska, was no problem. It didn't rain in Nevada enough to worry about (and it was a "dry" rain, right?:tongue4:). Riding in Texas I didn't have the right gear for a rainy ride. I'm decked out for cold and wet, not hot and wet! Ok - it maybe was as high as 80 degrees, I was pretty comfortable temperature wise, but I didn't wear my winter waterproof gloves because it was too hot, and after 5 hours of wet, my hands were completely wrinkly and macerated and actually quite painful! I felt like if I'd lifted anything or gripped anything with much strength that my palms and finger skin would tear - like I'd soaked them in a pool for hours (and they looked it!).

So - that's my background - my question is to those who aren't bothered by riding long distances even in the rain: What gloves do you wear for summer rain riding?

I so far have updated my gear to include an Olympia Airglide 4 jacket (HiViz) and I was going to buy the Airglide 3 pants, but decided to pull the trigger on a Motoport Ultra Trek Air Mesh in HiViz
XB4ITJ.jpg

I figure that should get me through most of the hot weather months here, and maybe round it out with an Aerostich suit for colder weather when/if that ever happens.

I've been doing some research on line and I"m leaning toward the Held Air N Dry Gloves - does anyone have any experience with them?
Held-Air-n-Dry-Motorradhandschuh-grau_zoom.jpg

Is there something better you might recommend?

oh man:( and you have to wait till June to get them to fix it... ouch.

So what'd you think of the three sisters? Looks like you skipped one leg of the route (the part down 335). I'm hoping to hit the left half of your route as soon as weather allows.

I don't really have many recommendations on gear for ya, I've given up on being able to ride here in Texas and not look like I just got out of a steam room. I switched to a mostly white helmet and tinted face shield and that seems to have helped. My mesh jacket seems about equal with my leather one as far as heat goes. I have switched back to my Fox Bomber gloves lately. Less protection, but they let more air go up the sleeve of my jacket than my gauntlets.

I do keep a bottle of water in the hump. It's easy to get dehydrated and not notice. So did you just move down here?

Yeah, I just moved down here and I don't have a garage yet (staying in my RV until I move in June 1) - going to get a dealer quote to fix it, but probably fix it myself, as I'm sure I can do it with faster turn around and a lower price for parts.

The ride was great, or rather would have been great in drier weather. Rain, fog and me being wet for 5 hours wasn't all that awesome. The roads, aside from slippery tar snakes in some spots, were pretty awesome.

When I lived in Las Vegas, I learned to carry a camelback under my jacket when riding in hot weather - 1/2 filled and frozen the night before, then the other half filled with water. Lasts for hours and is ice cold (once you get past the warm water in the line). Do you live in SA? I'm moving to Cibolo.

I live in New Braunfels. Not very far from Cibilo. River road is a popular road to ride near here. I'm not to big on it because the speed limit is 20mph most of the way. Awesome views and very twisty though. It's worth seeing. I like FM-32. There's a stretch between Purgatory road (215) and 3424 that is high speed twisty. I've heard the 3-sisters are fun and full of good scenery. I plan to make either a day or a weekend of them this summer.

I haven't been out your way much. I suspect there are some really good roads out there. If you ever plan a ride and want to meet up, just PM me!

I've seen those camelbacks at the track. I hadn't given them much thought, but having quick access to water and an ice pack right where the sun is cooking you sounds like a good idea:) I'll be checking them out.

This is a good area for riding. There are a lot of bikes on the road, so drivers are used to seeing us. Seems like it's over 60% Harleys, but there are plenty of sport bikes too. Plus there are several tracks around for about any kind of riding you want.

Welcome to Texas!

Back