Hold on for dear life or light as a feather?

All this is just you getting used to the bike. Mine used to thrill and scare me with regularity. Now it just thrills me (mostly!). I used to really enjoy the slap in the butt from the hump when accelerating, but that doesn't happen anymore.

Now I automatically hook my feet into the pegs, grip the tank with my thighs, and bend my elbows a bit more to hunker down over the tank. That position felt weird at first, especially the additional bend in my elbows, but now is relaxed and natural. Having a tank bra helps to grab with the thighs. No death grip needed on the handlebars. Wheel rise is maybe 5 inches at most.

Bump this thread for entertainment value..:laugh:..I enjoyed this one
My bike is still quite new to me all over again, even though I had one before.
I hate to admit, but with the last one I used to think, the better I get the more dangerous I become:cookoo:
I hope to `maintain` a litttle better this time....no more pegging the speedo 2x good enough (insane enough)???

Yeah I just hang on but I weigh 200 but it still tries to throw me back if I get on it.I do lean more when I get in her hard.Even with my stretch my tire broke loose today.Makes me giddy inside:laugh:

Almost all thats been said is correct,position yourself and hang on.Takes a while for it to become instinctive,believe it or not it takes time just like every thing else,be safe.

Bump this thread for entertainment value..:laugh:..I enjoyed this one
My bike is still quite new to me all over again, even though I had one before.
I hate to admit, but with the last one I used to think, the better I get the more dangerous I become:cookoo:
I hope to `maintain` a litttle better this time....no more pegging the speedo 2x good enough (insane enough)???
You got that rite:bowdown:

Always stay loose. If you're overly tense or if you have a death grip on the handlebars, you're doing something wrong and it's eventually going to cause you problems. Relaxation is the name of the game!

+1 on using your core body strength. Do some workouts like dead lifts. rows and vertical presses if necessary. Pushups, crunches and situps are very valuable as well.

One of the ways I was able to train myself to stay balanced (and to be smooth on the throttle and brakes :) ) was to ride with only one hand while stopping and starting. When accelerating, after the clutch is all the way out, you can feel how relaxed your arms are and you can easily find the balance point. Over time, you can accelerate a bit faster but really, all you need to do is learn how to stay with the bike as it carries you.

When braking, again, use one hand and you'll learn where the balance points are and you can stay relaxed while doing so. Also, if you like you can take both hands off the handlebars and use the back brake to get a feel for it if you like.

Indeed, either drill forces you to stay relaxed because if you tense up ONE arm, you're going down, man! And that brings me to

CAUTION: if you do either or both of these drills, be very very careful and do them very gradually. You don't want to take your left hand off the handle bar and then crack the throttle all at once! Just a smooth ease into it so you can feel the g's a little bit at first. Same with the brakes. Just a little at a time does wonders.

Be careful out there.

--Wag--

One of the ways I was able to train myself to stay balanced (and to be smooth on the throttle and brakes :) ) was to ride with only one hand while stopping and starting. When accelerating, after the clutch is all the way out, you can feel how relaxed your arms are and you can easily find the balance point. Over time, you can accelerate a bit faster but really, all you need to do is learn how to stay with the bike as it carries you.

When braking, again, use one hand and you'll learn where the balance points are and you can stay relaxed while doing so. Also, if you like you can take both hands off the handlebars and use the back brake to get a feel for it if you like.

Or.. use a throttle lock, crack the the throttle full open, then take both hands of the bar :laugh:

That will really use your core strength! :poke:

Or.. use a throttle lock, crack the the throttle full open, then take both hands of the bar :laugh:

That will really use your core strength! :poke:

I've actually thought of using a throttle lock for just that purpose, however, I'm too chicken! :rofl:

--Wag--

Back