New Handle-Grips: PICS

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
I wanted some new more comfortable handle-bar grips. (had stock previously) The new grips are the same foam that they use on the sport/tour bikes.

Cost: $8
Comfort: First thoughts... they feel real comfy and soft. Have more review tomorrow...

Witte... you da man. I would not have gotten the grips on tonight if you hand not mentioned the lotion. I cut the old grips off no problem. The throttle grip is plastic underneath so I definetly did want to glue it and my handle-grips would not go over the humps on the throttle very well at all. I then remembered the lotion thing you mentioned, so... sure enough they slipped right on after that. I still have a gap between the housing the grip. See pics below. My NEP throttle lock was going to cover it, but naturally it doesn't fit with my reaper risers since I didn't lower the bike...  
cussing.gif

O well... the NEP throttle lock kind of looks cheap to me anyways to be honest. Sure seems flimsy and in in the fine print it states that the throttle will not return on its own even when the throttle-lock is DIS-engaged! I did mess with it a bit and sure enough the throttle just seemed to stick even when it was dis-engaged... (yea, I messed with the adjustment screw too.)

Anyway... here is A pic. My other ones didn't come out so I will have to take more pics tomorrow in the sunlight.

If you look close at the pic, you can see the leftover white plastic on the left which was covered by the stock grip. Any ideas on a cover-up?

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084939434 -->

DSC00903.JPG

I installed gel grips on my Busa - I forget the brand name but it is a common brand sold in bike shops all over. They dampen some vibration and have more surface "texture" for gripping. Mine don't cover that white plastic flange either, but they have a flare at that end that hides it from view unless you're sitting on the bike.

I use liquid dishwashing soap to slide new grips on. It dries overnight and, many times, no adhesive will be needed. If some is, you can just peel the grip back, apply the glue and roll the grip back in place.

Ed

Sounds good... These grips only came with that thin black plastic piece you see on the inside of the grip closest to the white plastic...

I am going to cover it for sure...

On the other hand, I was driving to work this morning and the extra comfort is a welcome site. The grips are very soft and also have more surface area... It is kind of weird having squishable grips, compared to stock...

Sounds good... These grips only came with that thin black plastic piece you see on the inside of the grip closest to the white plastic...

I am going to cover it for sure...

On the other hand, I was driving to work this morning and the extra comfort is a welcome site. The grips are very soft and also have more surface area... It is kind of weird having squishable grips, compared to stock...
IM suprised no one mentioned this. When installing grips you dont necessarily need glue, but you do need something sticky, but something that allows for some lubrication at first to get the grips on.. Best thing is spray a bunch of Hairspray in to the grip, and slide it right on.. After a few minutes it grips like crazy glue....

I used lotion to get the grips on last night, but it was a little slick today so I decided to take the grip back off, wipe the access lotion off the grip and throttle, and try it again... Much better...
smile.gif

I had a chance to ride with my new grips today for about 2 hours and I have to say they were MUCH more comfortable then stock on the long ride... Cheap investment with a lot of gain...

Had fomaies on my Ninja and although kinda mooshy feeling at first, VERY good absorbing vibes. But, my left one wore out and tore quicker then my right due to hand moving and grip not. good stuff!

I've always used hairspray it holds all day long!
laugh.gif
and to remove it I usually remove the bar (if i can't cut off the old grips) and soak it in hot water and the grip slip off.

Back