Hold on for dear life or light as a feather?

MOCKIN U

Registered
As I am getting used to riding the big girl I find myself more curious she with how various amounts of throttle input in many different riding conditions kinda like a more controlled "what happens when I do this" kinda thing. Most times that question is answered with an uncontrollable giggle emanating from underneath my helmet but a few times there have been "whoa......" and the infamous puckered factor.

What happens is when I ride I'm loose on the grips with my hands as everyone taught me as to not give too much accidental throttle input. No big deal on my old sad I just turn my boots over the pegs, lock my legs into the tank, and the front end would come up or it would the off but I didn't feel like I would lose it.

With the big girl if I nail the throttle hard from low rpm take off it feels like its going to rip the handle bars out of my hands. No matter how tight I grip the tank with my legs I still get that feeling. Should I just lock down on the grips when hammering on it or are there any other riding tips to deal with that sensation.

Parking it on its kickstand is one but not an option so let's let e that one out mkay

I have found it makes it easier when I slide butt but up against the hump to deal with the hard acceleration when I rip it. That is just what works for me, I am an unskilled/untrained rider.

If you're going to be accelerating hard, you should already be leaning pretty far forward with your elbows well bent.
Use your core strength to maintain that forward lean with your upper body. Don't let the big girl straighten you up. Hang on to the bars tight enough to hold yourself on the bike, but not so tight that you can't keep precise throttle control.

I don't recommend trusting the hump anymore than you absolutely have to. Imagine sliding off the back at warp 9 if it failed.

And watch out for the power wheelie!!!

And that... I can't hold mine down in 1st or 2nd gear. Be very careful not to roll on the throttle even more because you're trying to hang on.

If you're going to be accelerating hard, you should already be leaning pretty far forward with your elbows well bent.
Use your core strength to maintain that forward lean with your upper body. Don't let the big girl straighten you up. Hang on to the bars tight enough to hold yourself on the bike, but not so tight that you can't keep precise throttle control.

I don't recommend trusting the hump anymore than you absolutely have to. Imagine sliding off the back at warp 9 if it failed.

What he said...

I agree. I think that hump, or bubble is is more for aerodynamic properties to help attain top speeds, rather than keep you on the machine.

HUMP :laugh:

The only thing I'll ad to the above comments is don't forget you have a clutch my brother. Some people cover the rear brake with their foot because it will bring the front end down.

i rarely scare myself and im no master at wheelies..i dont clutch i just power it up.most time i dont go much past 930-1000 position..did get her up to bout 1030-1100 last week..new tire hooked up a bit better.And as a thought..hang on n remember right wrist off clutch in ..brake when spooked

Yeah, relax and enjoy it. If you're not, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. If it scares you then you aren't focused or in complete control. You then become a danger to yourself and everyone around you. Take small steps, and take a step back if you need to. You'll be glad you did in the long run. You sound as if you need more seat time at the level you are already comfortable with. Patience:beerchug:

Yeah, relax and enjoy it. If you're not, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. If it scares you then you aren't focused or in complete control. You then become a danger to yourself and everyone around you. Take small steps, and take a step back if you need to. You'll be glad you did in the long run. You sound as if you need more seat time at the level you are already comfortable with. Patience:beerchug:

What he said! :thumbsup:

Thats probably it more than anything else. I posted a pic on facebook of me and the bike after I lowered with the caption "she has no problem reminding me who the weak one in the relationship is" and thats exactly what I think everytime Im on it. So I am just in the process of learning how it responds to my input so very much in love with this bike!!!

If your doing straight line high speed launches/pulls, then it's fine to hold on tighter to the bars. When sport riding, you want to use your legs and back more to minimize input to the bars - that is why sport bike tanks are shaped the way they are. The only bar input in a perfect world would be pushes to counter steer. But that's sport riding, grabbing a handful of throttle on a Busa is a whole nother' story.

Thats probably it more than anything else. I posted a pic on facebook of me and the bike after I lowered with the caption "she has no problem reminding me who the weak one in the relationship is" and thats exactly what I think everytime Im on it. So I am just in the process of learning how it responds to my input so very much in love with this bike!!!

I remember when i did my first 2 wheelies scared the crap out of me at first but then i got excited because i found ot how easy it was to come up. I only had it for about 2 weeks at the time. I was coming home and when i turned on my road and just rip into it but i accidentaly shifted into 1st gear instead of second like i normaly do. needless to say i was very shocked when it happened. I let off asap then did it again :laugh:

My busa doesn't want to power wheelie??? Maybe it's trying to tell me something about my weight. :poke:
As for you, just relax and get to know it with time and get to know your bike. It will tell you what to do.

Back