HID Question

mrnyc01

Registered
Hey Guys...

I just installed my HID's. Works great. But I noticed that when I turn on my high beams (just wanted to see what happened) The high beam came on but the HID (low beam) went off and would not come on until I got to a red light and turn the bike off and then started it again. ??? I used this diagram, but I think I forgot something? Not sure. Just don't want to be riding at night and make a mistake and hit the high beam and my lights go out! :whistle:

Thoughts?

Oh yeah....
Second problem..although small I think. When I turn the bike on, my HID flashes for a very qucik second. I mean on and off in less than a second and stays off until the delay timer kicks it on. Will this hurt the bulb? But it only happens from a cold start. Once it does it the first time, if I ride and then turn the bike off then turn it back on (like after I get gas) the HID stays off until the delay kicks it on. So it's just the first initial start in the morning or something....

Last edited:
Had the same problem as in situation 1. Turned out I had a bad relay..my buddy ole pal Snakeyezzz came to the rescue. Thus, check your relay switch it may be the cause as well.

Had the same problem as in situation 1. Turned out I had a bad relay..my buddy ole pal Snakeyezzz came to the rescue. Thus, check your relay switch it may be the cause as well.

Cool thanks Slep... now uhhh which relay? Headlight????

to solve the quick flash at start up, hold the start button in when you turn on the key, wait for the all the lights to settle down, and pull the clutch in, bike starts, release the start button and the HID's will light up.

to solve the quick flash at start up, hold the start button in when you turn on the key, wait for the all the lights to settle down, and pull the clutch in, bike starts, release the start button and the HID's will light up.

Thanks Warp... but doesn't this only work on the 08 busa's? I don't think the 01's have that capability...but I will try.:please:

It only works on GENII busa's

so, about these HID delays..i have an 05 and HIDs are soon to come, do i need to put in a delay as well even though they cut off during start or could i just turn ignition on and imediately hit the starter? i wont do another switch for headlight on/off, so none of that talk for me. do i need a delay or not? the backwards start pressing starter then using clutch sounds ok...do i need a delay if im not gonna do any crazy method?
Posted via Mobile Device

so, about these HID delays..i have an 05 and HIDs are soon to come, do i need to put in a delay as well even though they cut off during start or could i just turn ignition on and imediately hit the starter? i wont do another switch for headlight on/off, so none of that talk for me. do i need a delay or not? the backwards start pressing starter then using clutch sounds ok...do i need a delay if im not gonna do any crazy method?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Yoda... the "backwards start" will not work on our busa's. We are Gen I busa. That feature started on 08 busa's. So to answer your question. Yes I would get a delay. Use the diagram I linked to in my first post.:thumbsup:

Ok guys... still need help with the flickering problem. If it's hard to start for some reason, my HID kind of flicker and when it does start the HID does not come on. I have to turn it off and then start it back up. What do you think?

actually it does. last night i tried it as i was saddling up for my ride to work. held start button, turned ignition, pulled in clutch and as soon as it popped into N, headlight still not on, she fired. think about it. wont start if kickstand's down unless its in N AND clutch pulled in. starter button interrupts the power to the headlight so holding it in before turning on ignition keeps the power to the headlight interrupted until you complete the starter circuit, ie N or clutch in...so absolutely it works..but its just awkward, so yeah, delay for me.

Last edited:
actually it does. last night i tried it as i was saddling up for my ride to work. held start button, turned ignition, pulled in clutch and as soon as it popped into N, headlight still not on, she fired. think about it. wont start if kickstand's down unless its in N AND clutch pulled in. starter button interrupts the power to the headlight so holding it in before turning on ignition keeps the power to the headlight interrupted until you complete the starter circuit, ie N or clutch in...so absolutely it works..but its just awkward, so yeah, delay for me.

Hmmm ok.. I tried it on my 01 and it did not work. A lot of people on here said it's only on the 08 busa. Well if yours works then COOL!:cheerleader: But I would still get the delay.

Someone told me in another post they changed the flicker thing to a completely out thing in 05 mine is 07 I start it the same way. Starter button first then clutch.

Hey post a pic of your kit my 07 doesn't have any problems and I don't run any delay switch. may be a ballast issue. but I would need to know what kind of kit you have first.

Not sure what the deal is with your delay. If wired and working correctly, it shouldn't be turning on at all until after the time period has past. Are you sure you have it set for a long enough delay?

Otherwise, like someone up there said, perhaps you have a bad delay relay.

Double check all of your connections, and try setting for a longer delay.

hey guys..bought the tread back to life huh?:thumbsup:

Yes it still flashes but I think it only does it from a cold start...i think. But it still working fine.

delay relay.
deeelaaaay reeeelaaaay
Ok i think i like saying that.....

Back