Installing HID's

Fredyp33

Registered
I'm in the process of installing HID's on my low beam. I've heard that having a delay or a switch to cut it on and off helps, because of the bike cutting the light on when you turn the key on, then cut it off when you hit the starter, and then try to cut it on again, which can shorten the bulb life. Well, my question is, is it possible to switch the connections of the high and low beam, so I can put it on high beam when I start the bike and cut the low beam HID on when I'm ready?

You can, but you have to cut the wires and swap the connectors for the high and low. Why not just put the relay in and be done with it. It's only around $20 when said and done and your bike will be "right" and not rigged...

I've heard there's a process you can do to eliminate the on-off-on condition, without a switch.

1. Put bike in gear
2. Push start button
3. Turn key to Start
4. Pull in clutch.

Headlight does not come on until you release the start button when engine fires.

I got my kit, and will be installing it next week. I'm just gonna run an inline switch and mount it on the upper dash panel.

Spend 30 mintues and $20 and be done with it, that way you don't have to go through any particular procedure to start the bike, or you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn the light on, or you don't have to operate the bike any differently than designed. In the long run, if you plan to do a lot of riding or infrequent riding, doing the right way the first time will pay off in the long run... However, each their own...

I just purchased and installed my McCulloch 6000K Hi and Low beam kit weekend before last---

I will tell you on my '06, the procedure of holding the starter button and turning the key on, then pulling in the clutch didn't work on mine... it never cut power to the light totally-- it only dimmed mine alot.. I was going to use this procedure too but it wouldn't cut the power totally...If it had worked that is what I would have done too---

So I took an extra ten or fifteen minutes and just wired in a small toggle switch to interrupt power to my low beam...
On my '06 Low beam wire plug coming from the bike wiring side, there is one wire that is white and one wire that is black w/a white stripe....
I simply cut the white wire and spliced in my toggle switch- you have two wires coming off of your toggle switch, cut your white wire on the Low beam plug side, and splice your toggle in place.

I ran enough wire off my toggle to be able to mount it just to the left of my ignition switch by zip tying it to the existing wire bundle bracket that is to the left of the ignition...

This way, before I turn on the key, I just make sure that the toggle is "off", which allows no power to go to the ballast and ignitor on the HID, and after I start the engine, I just reach up and flip the "on" switch and the light comes on...just get in the habit of flipping the switch off before you kill power and you'll be set for when you start up again... very easy to get in the habit of using the switch and a very effective way of saving expensive replacement costs later..hope that helps...Chris

100_5130copy.jpg

Re: Installing HID's

I'm in the process of installing HID's on my low beam. I've heard that having a delay or a switch to cut it on and off helps, because of the bike cutting the light on when you turn the key on, then cut it off when you hit the starter, and then try to cut it on again, which can shorten the bulb life. Well, my question is, is it possible to switch the connections of the high and low beam, so I can put it on high beam when I start the bike and cut the low beam HID on when I'm ready?

I have heard of this and always wondered why.
How would you dim your high beam when meeting another vehicle at night?
If you move the low to the high beam on the switch, both high and low will burn in the HB position.
Switching to the low beam would turn off the low beam lamp and HB would be on.
Bad idea if this is correct.

so if you don't do the on/off switch mod. when u running an HID light, it won't last long?

I don't think it is an issue. I have seen many people post that they have had many years of reliable service from the HIDs they installed straight up no problems.
I installed a low beam cut off because I cannot leave my busa alone. I am always doing something to it while it is resting in the garage. Turning the key to the on position more times than most.
I have changed the lighting configuration a few times and while I am working on it, like to have the headlight off. Just me.
I probably would have put the switch on anyway with or without the HID. :laugh:

I've heard there's a process you can do to eliminate the on-off-on condition, without a switch.

1. Put bike in gear
2. Push start button
3. Turn key to Start
4. Pull in clutch.

Headlight does not come on until you release the start button when engine fires.

I got my kit, and will be installing it next week. I'm just gonna run an inline switch and mount it on the upper dash panel.

hey thanks!!! i tried that on my gen 2 it works!!! you don't have to put in gear though.

1. hold in start button
2. turn key on
3. pull in the clutch

the hid light doesn't go on until you release the start button. that's weird after the engine started it didn't grind the starter or anything.

Just install the DEI 528T time delay relay and be done with it... easy and cheap (you guys should be all over that!)

I've had a HID low beam in my bike for 2 years now, 20,000 miles with no delay. So far so good.

That's good to know...but I'm puttin' in a switch.

The thing I'm doin' different than most, is I'm not mounting my ballast on the RH intake snorkel.. I'm putting it up inside the nose piece. I'm using the doublestick tape plus two metal straps..

1. hold in start button
2. turn key on
3. pull in the clutch
This worked on my '04. It didn't prevent the light from coming on when I turned the key on, but it prevented it from turning it off and back on again. I bought my used so maybe the previous owner set it up like this? Doubt it because I've had that bike in pecies more than once and never saw evidence of it.

Last edited:

This worked on my '04. It didn't prevent the light from coming on when I turned the key on, but it prevented it from turning it off and back on again. I bought my used so maybe the previous owner set it up like this? Doubt it because I've had that bike in pecies more than once and never saw evidence of it.

on my gen two the light stays off until you release the start button...

Just tried it again to make sure, and it did cause my light to turn off. So the alternate start method doesn't work on a gen1.

Not an issue here I intended to get a relay anyhow. But until I do I just give the light a good 15 seconds to warm up prior to starting and it doesn't give me an issue.

Back