why only low beam HID?

TommyGunn1300

Registered
just wondering why people only install the low beam kit? with only the low beam your HIDs stay on all the time. even during the day. the reason i ask is because i ordered the 35wt low beam kit and the 55wt high beam kit and i think i am only going to install the high beam and send the low beam back and the other 35wt kit back. then i can only run one 55wt kit on my highbeam and have no starting issues or anything.

whats everyone think?

Last edited:
Why didn't you think about that before you bought it. :laugh: If the kit is set up right you shouldn't have any "starting issues".

2 things I notice..

the hi-beam HID really does not provide the boost the low bead did..
also, "flashing" oncoming with an HID is sort of like pulling your pants up with a bungee cord.. will happen but might take a bit of time...

2 things I notice..

the hi-beam HID really does not provide the boost the low bead did..
also, "flashing" oncoming with an HID is sort of like pulling your pants up with a bungee cord.. will happen but might take a bit of time...

If you hit the start button while the bike is running it will instantly cut power to your low beam, this is what I do instead of entergizing the high beam, I dont know if it hurts anything but I have only done it when needed!

wow. i change my mind more then a women sometimes.

i am going to send it back and install the DDM 35wt 6000k for the low and the 55wt 4300 for the high. hope that will work good. quess i'll find out:whistle:

The ballasts take a while to produce a full beam of light and that's not good for a high beam which you want to turn off and on immediately. The HID bulb is the wrong shape, it's too long, and does not work well in the projector housing. It produces a really crappy beam pattern. And HID ballasts don't like to be continually turned off and on another reason they are a poor match in the high beam.

I know 'cause I have a HID high, which I installed and then took out due to it's poor performance, sitting on a shelf in my garage.

:whistle::laugh:

cheers
ken

What kind of oil are you using?:laugh::poke:

Seems this is another opinion question.

Good luck Bro.:thumbsup:

^ great question, what oil are you using???? Ha!

I have McColluch HID's in both High and Low. From the research I did, most people feel that the Low beam is enough light that you will not need the high beam. I can tell you from doing some 20 mile stretches in the back country, I liked having both High and Low beams HIDs. But like previously mentioned, the High beam takes a little while to come up to brightness, it is useless to flash to pass or (on coming vehicles who think you have your high beam on all the time, thus blinding an oncoming vehicle coming in your direction). So basically it's up to you. I also went with the lower temperature lamps so it's closer to "white" light vs. the blue/purple...

As far as starting issues... the only thing I know that's related to the starting issues is that the HIDs don't like the starting cycle (low voltage) and may cause them to act funny (maybe others can describe it since i have never), so when I installed mine I opted to put in a time delay relay. DEI 538T or something like that, I'm sure there are plenty of threads discussing that topic.

Regardless, you will like it and don't forget you may need to adjust your lights (on coming cars may not)

i have low (6000) and high (4300) HID's and love them...i haven't had any issues and like Powers739 said, they are great for running backroads in the country at night...the low beam lights up the road better than my OEM low and high did together and i only run my high beam when i really need it

All HIDs high and low take time to warm up and get full light output....if you have highs, the pass feature shouldnt be used, might ruin the ballast....just use your horn if your letting someone pass or something...dont know about anyone else but my high lamp make a difference....not that you notice from sitting on the bike since it pretty bright already as is but behind a car and uncomming traffic it makes a huge difference as well as in rural areas..

I have HID in both high and low, but I find I almost never use the high beam anymore. Glad I have them though. I think the HID mod is one of the best busa mods you can do.

I just ordered the 35 watt high and low in 5000K from DDM.
I plan on using both during daylight driving,.... I want to be seen.
I will let you know how they work.

i sent the DDM back because the other company wanted a crazy restocking fee. its German Engineering something. buts its a 55wt 6000k in both high and low beam. once i get my body parts back from the body shop, ill install them and see how they do :) cant wait

I just ordered the 35 watt high and low in 5000K from DDM.
I plan on using both during daylight driving,.... I want to be seen.
I will let you know how they work.

Good point! My HID helped to be seen in daylight, no doubt about it.

:thumbsup:

Back