HID light burnt out, can I just switch 4 original

smalltimer

Registered
Before the light burnt out, the bike wouldn't start. If I got the battery low enough, the HID wouldn't come on but the bike would start. I don't know if it was pulling too much juice or not. Now I am trying to see if I can put the original light back in with the mod done to it. I doubt it.

Does anyone know why the light will go off and the bike will start, does it pull that much juice? I am thinking of putting a switch on the side to turn it on after I start the bike.
thanks,
Kenny

Thats a good question, I havent' pulled the plastic yet until tomorrow. I just now its an HID setup. Ill check it out.
thanks,
Kenny

Stock bulb draws 50 watts. my xenon king H.I.D. draws 35. HID drws less than stock.

You burned the bulb up..... Whats happening is your starving the HID while engaging the starter! HIDs require a lot of umph to start, but once they light up require little effort to stay lit! I'm not sure but your 02 probably doesn't kill the headlight during the start up; simple fix is to install a kill switch or delay....

Thats what it seemed like. If I was starting it long enough to where the battery was low, I could start the bike right up. I think I am just going to put a relay in between with a switch to light it up. Luckily I found another HID bulb with all the stuff when I bought the bike.
Thanks for the info,
Kenny

(smalltimer @ Sep. 10 2007,12:24) Thats what it seemed like.  If I was starting it long enough to where the battery was low, I could start the bike right up.  I think I am just going to put a relay in between with a switch to light it up.  Luckily I found another HID bulb with all the stuff when I bought the bike.
Thanks for the info,
Kenny
Just wired one up for a friend.... Easy schmeezy! You can switch the wires around so the high becomes the low and vice versa! This will eliminate the need for a switch.

Can you explain that one for me. I know wiring, but don't understand what do you mean by high and low i this case.
thanks Kenny

I didn't want to use a switch becaise I knew I would forget it, although I could put a 5 or 10 second delay after power up.

Open up the handle bar switch that controls the low/high beam and switch them out! That away your high beam comes on when you start the bike and HIDs can be turned on independantly.... Seems to me though I had to do one other minor adjustment to make the lights work independant of each other. If only I where back home.........

I didn't even think about that, but that should be an easy switch over. Its not complex inside that box, plus that will save me from adding a switch.
Thanks man,
Kenny

Back