Lighting Switch Sourcing (European)

withidl

Registered
I have a 1999 black Hayabusa with over 22,000 miles on it and have always wanted to be able to control the lighting, i.e. have it off at start up or at any other time I deem it necessary.

Some years ago I became aware that the European models offered this functionality, but until recently I hadn't been able to source the switch as U.S. dealers can't order it.  I recently found a U.K. dealer that I was able to place an order with (using their web site), received the switch in about 3 weeks and installed it quickly as it was just plug & play (it directly replaces the entire right switch cluster and pig tail).

Functionality is as follows:

This switch cluster, which is Suzuki OEM on European models, replaces the right switch cluster "blank" on older U.S. models while newer U.S. models have the "blank" replaced by the emergency flasher switch.  The "Lighting Switch" controls lighting functionality as follows:

With the Lighting Switch in the "right" off position - Turning the ignition key to the on position causes the instruments to go through their "check" function, including back lighting on, but all other lights are kept off.  Once the check function has completed back lighting of the instruments turns off leaving only the red oil light and the green neutral light on.

With the Lighting Switch in the "middle" position - This turns on the instrument back lighting and the tail light "running" light.  "The head lights remain off.

With the Lighting Switch in the "left" fully on position - This turns on the head light low beam (tail light and instrument back lighting continue to stay on).

The Suzuki switch description is:  "R.H. HANDLE SWITCH ASSY."

The Suzuki switch part number is:  "37200-12F10"

The Suzuki U.K. dealer is:  ROBINSONS FOUNDRY LTD, Broad Oak Road, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7QG

Their E-mail address is: "parts@robinsonsfoundry.co.uk"

Their web site, where you can directly order the part is:  http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/suzuki/index.html?shopsession=40f11af5605a420b317d2fad957fe987

The part, including shipping, cost me $140.58 (U.S. currency) shipped to Houston, Texas, and again, I received it within 3 weeks.

Hope this is of help to those who dislike "blanks" where switches should be.  

Also, I've read some posts where HID head lights have been installed but falter at engine start because the ignition switch turns the head lights on prior to engine start; this mod would probably cure that.

any pics?
rock.gif

So, the lighting control switch is where the newer Hazard lever is? Is there any rewiring involved or is it simply plug and play? I recently switched my assembly (lower) to add the Hazards - I wonder if the lighting thatyou are talkign about would be the reason for the two jumpers in the coupler...
+1 on the pics - and another mod for my list

BTW, for anyone who is leary of messing with the switch housings, by far the hardest part of the switch was the routing and trying to get the harness out of the wire retainer around the ignition housing.... thanks for the info on this!

(MC MUSTANG @ Mar. 16 2007,07:09) So, the lighting control switch is where the newer Hazard lever is?  Is there any rewiring involved or is it simply plug and play?  I recently switched my assembly (lower) to add the Hazards - I wonder if the lighting thatyou are talkign about would be the reason for the two jumpers in the coupler...
+1 on the pics - and another mod for my list

BTW, for anyone who is leary of messing with the switch housings, by far the hardest part of the switch was the routing and trying to get the harness out of the wire retainer around the ignition housing....  thanks for the info on this!
Yes, the lighting control switch IS where the later model Hazard switch is located.  On my 1999 it was simply plug & play, but as you state, you do have to deal with routing the pig tail basis the OEM switch removed (which you've done with the Hazard switch installation), it's a little tedious but not difficult.

Yes, the two jumpers located on the OEM (non Lighting) switch are used to bypass the Lighting Switch functionality on the older bikes (I can't address those with the OEM Hazard switch, but suspect they may be used for the hazard functionality).  The Lighting Switch uses the jumped connections (it has two additional wires) to control the lighting functions.

Regarding pics; I didn't take any and I am currently out of town, but the switch cluster looks exactly like the Hazard switch cluster on newer bikes except instead of having two positions (Hazards on - off) it has three positions (all lighting off - instrument backing & tail light on - all lighting on).  Additionally, since the pig tail and connector route basis the OEM one and the connectors are exactly the same (the Lighting Switch replaces the jumped pins with two additional wires) there really is no thought/wiring required to R&R the OEM with the Lighting Switch.

gee- I'm wondering if the hazard switch could simply be rewired to the low beam HID? I can't ever see me using hazards-- (single flashers would suffice), and the wiring could possibly be interrupted along the harness somewhere. I do have the HID starting issue.

Back