HID Kit vs HID Retrofit

Demon

Registered
I have been debating people on which is better to have a HID plug and play kit or a HID retrofit. I believe a HID retrofit (with a HID bi-xenon projector) is the way to go, because the light would be more direct or concentrated on the road rather than shooting off in all directions with a kit.

I need to have a comparison on the board to see which people would rather have (regardless of cost) on their motorcycles. Or would anyone like to elaborate the issue?
umnik.gif

The true question is how much money do you want to spend? You need to realize that either method is still not DOT approved, and technically you could get a ticket for it.

Most people just do the HID P&P kits because they are any easy and cost effective method that dramatically improves visibility at night. The scatter you and others speak of is neglible at most. If the light has been properly aimed you will get about twice as much useable light from the HID setup. The main reason for retrofit kits/mods is to reduce the scatter seen by ONCOMING traffic. Some say that makes your more visible some say it is blinding to oncoming traffic. I don't remember ever getting flashed for 'brights' by on coming traffic since my HID install, and I've seen many bikes with HID and the ones that were aimed right all looked fine from ahead.

I've done the P&P setup and have had it for a couple years. I can say that this mod will be the first mod I do to any vehicles I purchase in the future, the difference is just phenomenal.

So that being said, if you've got the cheese, go for the retrofit. If you just want to get HID and be done with it, go with the P&P and save a few nickles for the next mod.

beerchug.gif

The true question is how much money do you want to spend?  You need to realize that either method is still not DOT approved, and technically you could get a ticket for it.

Most people just do the HID P&P kits because they are any easy and cost effective method that dramatically improves visibility at night.  The scatter you and others speak of is neglible at most.  If the light has been properly aimed you will get about twice as much useable light from the HID setup.  The main reason for retrofit kits/mods is to reduce the scatter seen by ONCOMING traffic.  Some say that makes your more visible some say it is blinding to oncoming traffic.  I don't remember ever getting flashed for 'brights' by on coming traffic since my HID install, and I've seen many bikes with HID and the ones that were aimed right all looked fine from ahead.

I've done the P&P setup and have had it for a couple years.  I can say that this mod will be the first mod I do to any vehicles I purchase in the future, the difference is just phenomenal.

So that being said, if you've got the cheese, go for the retrofit.  If you just want to get HID and be done with it, go with the P&P and save a few nickles for the next mod.

beerchug.gif
Words well said.
thumb_up.gif

Thanks for the input. I have some extra HID components left from some retrofits in the past and I was thinking of placing them into the busa, so this seals the deal for me. I will post pictures of the retro when its complete.

smile.gif

What I was thinking is finding a bi-zenon projector which would handle high and low beam in a single projector and mount it where the high beam is now. But then you would need a color matched cover to hide the original lowbeam.

What I was thinking is finding a bi-zenon projector which would handle high and low beam in a single projector and mount it where the high beam is now.  But then you would need a color matched cover to hide the original lowbeam.
If you could find a bi-xenon projector that would be able to be fitted into the OEM projector location (I don't think there's a bi-xenon that small - I could be wrong) wouldn't you lose the operation of the low beam?

The bi-xenon would have to have a the current from the low beam to operate it's low beam.  Then the functionality of the high beam switch or pass button to activate the sheild inside of the bi-xenon projector.  So basically you would have a dead light either in the low beam or high beam projector, depending on where the projector was mounted.

If I were to be able to located a bi-xenon small enough to be fitted into the OEM high beam, then I would tint the rest of the lense (with the exception of the area of the bi-xenon) so that you wouldn't see the inside of the housing.  Or paint all of the chrome inside of the housing a flat black...  Aww who knows the possibilites are endless lol.

Nice find!

I've come to a cross-road lol. I have told my wife that she will be getting my Acura TSX projectors and parts to go into her RSX-S. So this puts the Busa's retro on hold. Plus this will give me the time to swap out the factory headlights in my '97 Silverado over to a HID aftermarket reflector based setup.

This HID stuff is addicting! Just as much as riding the busa...

Well well I'm back in action.  I just got done with the Silverado's HID lighting  
woot.gif

The wife's RSX-S is going on hold and the Busa is next up on the block for HID.  I have decided to purchase a Acura TL Bi-Xenon projector for my retro.  I'll post some photos when I get it started/completed when I get a chance  
coolold.gif

sorry, i can't post pics for some reason, no matter what the file size... P.M. me with an e-mail i can send you before and after pics in if you'd like....

Back