HID Projector

CamGT

Registered
Hello!

I'm doing a little preliminary (and perhaps premature) decision making on mods I'll be doing to my Busa which i intend to buy within the next 6 month (barring any outside problems... it'll be a year at worst).

I've pretty much already settled on the first mod being upgrading the lighting. I've installed an HID angel eye kit on my truck already, and I figure that experience should translate well in terms of knowing what to do.

It seems as though the most commonly recommended HID Kit in itself is the DDM Tuning kit, so I've largely settled on that.

However, as far as I can tell they only sell the HID Kit and not a projector (at least not a projector for the Busa).

Now as far as I can tell, an additional projector is only needed for the low beam right? The high beam housing already appears to be a projector.

Regardless, I can't figure out what would be a good projector setup to buy.

I also managed to even locate some good looking halos, but if anyone has recommendations there they would be appreciated as well.

For the record, it'll be a Gen II model, 2009 at oldest. Strong possibility I'll go for a 2011 model though.

Last edited:
Heres a good site for nice bright LED Halos
SPORTBIKELITES MAKERS OF UNIQUE SPORTBIKE ACCESSORIES <meta name="google-site-verification" content="Ffe6weBF3N0QYmhYNU8UNGM9KALl_BkTiKwarFzAWE0" />

As for the HIDs its a very good upgrade. Dont listen to all the DDM hate. I just bought mine last thurs and the FedEx tracking number says they will be here wednesday. Quick nice shipping if you ask me.

Theres tons and a crazy amount of mods you can do to a busa. Watch out cause its addicting. Dont ask how i know or how much i spend... :whistle: But oh man is it awesome :laugh:

Thanks for the tips and the welcome!

Been lurking around here for about 2 years lol. No point warning me about the mod bug, I've got a permanent case of it haha. I went from just wanting a CAI for my truck to give it some growl to buying a programmer for an overall boost, to buying a better CAI (I knew I officially had the bug there... it ain't like the first performance CAI I bought was broke lol), to getting the HID kit to buying a whole new housing with dual projectors and LED DRLs. If I hadn't decided to go ahead and get the Busa I've been wanting for a while I would have continued with a CAM swap, torque converter upgrade, and a rebuilt tranny. I figure... my truck already does 150+, and thats good enough for a full size SUV. I'll use the Busa for my speed demon needs haha. The mod bug lives on... I don't have the bike and I've already got a list of 4 first year upgrades for it.

Havn't seen much complaint of the DDM HIDs though... just about their slow shipping, which I don't care about. I'll probably have a full exhaust system (havn't decided between TiForce and Akrapovic though) amongst other already planned mods already here a good month before the Busa. I'm trying to locate a good, sturdy moto carrier for my truck though. My truck (Chevy Avalanche) is gonna end up being my Busa's garage for the most part.

That halo set is actually brother to the one I intend to get though. I don't particularly like the separation on the LED lights so I was looking at the CCFL tube design.

Now BBB, could you explain more about the problem with the light diffusion of using an HID with the Hi Beam? I'm looking at going 8k or 10k (yeah... know what I'm getting into there... I've got 12k on my truck) on the low beam, which is fine for most folks, but I do alot of riding past midnight which means my hi beam is usually what picks up the slack.

With that said... compared to a 55w 10k or 8k HID bulb, how much brightness and throw does the stock hi beam have? Also... if the hi-beam has a yellow tint to it, I really have no choice but to at least change the bulb... but I don't necessarily need an HID kit to do that, so what would you recommend in the way of a bright white bulb if that's the case? I know Sylvania is the usual look-to for automobiles but I'm not so sure on a bike (though I guess a light bulb is a light bulb to an extent eh?)

Last edited:
10k and 8k are very very blue if not a hint of purple in the 10k. I went with 6k which has a nice tint of blue in it but still getting the nice brightness of a HID.

The stock bulbs arent yellow at all i dont think. Mine are an almost just white using the stock bulbs. Go HIDS. I suggest 6k for the low and a 5k or 4k for the high. I went 6k for both just because. 5k will have a tiny hint of blue and 4k should be pure white. Check DDMs color chart

Last edited:
Yeah I checked the color chart. I'm almost tempted to get the 12k... almost.

Their 12k seems to be of the variety which is more blue than violet (in fact they look exactly like the ones in my truck). With that said, I know I can only barely drive with the two on my truck while I'm basically wide awake. The slightest hint of being tired and I've gotta use the Hi beams. One on a bike wouldn't cut the mustard.

I'm leaning toward the 8k. The 6k just ain't got enough blue to it for me. Assuming I still do the HID mod after I dig into what BBB is talking about, it's definitely looking like it'll be 4.5k or 5k for the Hi beam.

The 12k will give you terrible viewing at night and if you on populated roads the high beam is going to do nothing but piss people off and blind them... The 8k should be ok but a little more blue than necessary but hey its about what you like and if you dont mind losing some visibility at night

Yep I know all about the 12k. Like I said in my truck I damn near can't see anything with em after I get a little tired, and thats with 2 bulbs Vs. 1. I wouldn't attempt a 12k on a Busa unless it was strictly for show and I planned on running my Hi beam all the time for actual night use.

I considered running dual 8ks for a brief moment... that's definitely "enough" light (about 6000 combined lumens), but in the case of a bike I want more than enough.

I'm probably gonna go 8k low beam, 5k hi beam. That oughta be around 7000 lumens. Easily more than enough.

As far as people being pissed off... they should be happy. It'll only be one stupid bright bulb that I shouldn't have to use nearly as much as I have to use the two stupid bright ones on my truck to make up for my 12k low beams (which for reference of scale... my truck's combined output is nearly 10000 lumens [using the same estimates]. Now THAT pisses people off :laugh:

Last edited:
Simply put:

The OEM reflectors and projector housings on the Busas are designed for halogen bulbs. They tend to scatter the light more in places that sometimes cause glare when using HID lighting systems. To me the benefits of the brighter light more than out weigh the negative effects. The Hi-beam HID bulb replacement has has mixed reviews on here. Most indicating that the pattern of the output tends to be to 'beamy' and not as illuminating as one would suspect by adding a brighter bulb. This is why most of the people who do HID conv kits only do the low beam, usually it's more than enough light. That's what I did originally. Personally speaking, I went with a 6k light in the low beam. 6k will give you that beamer and benz HID look, just a slight bit of blue with plenty of illumination, nearly double that of OEM. I have since purchased a projector kit that will be retrofitted into my low beam housing (see links above) and for that kit I chose to go with 5K as I wanted even more illumination and a little less color.

Whatever you chose for your everyday light is purely up to you. I recommend the 6K (or lower K) for your running lamp as having to use the high beam in a 'situation' will provide light in different areas than you're used to. Honestly, I don't think I've ever actually used my hi-beam bulb after putting the HID light in. About the only thing it does is add some color to the beam, it doesn't really light up more than the lo HID does.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ahh ok, I figured it had something to do with that giant reflector.

Sounds like it's still a go for me on a full HID swap then. I know what to expect out of em already from the experience (somewhat annoying experience) of having em on my truck.

What I'm wondering now is if DDM might be willing to send me a 10k bulb to test. Apparently a 55w bulb has the appearance of a 35w bulb at a lower temp.

So since I'm wanting an 8k look for my low beam, it sounds like I might have to go 10k to get it >_< I know what TWO 12Ks on my truck give me, but with that said my truck's projector's are angled to look the best, and not necessarily even provide maximal light output out of those. One 55w 10k ought to give me about as much light (maybe a bit more) as my twin 35w 12Ks do, and if that's the case a 10k might not bother me.

But I have no way of knowing... anybody around here done a 10k install that has some good pictures showing the throw of a 10K 55w? I suppose push come to shove, I could go 35w on the low beam and keep the color I want... but more than likely a 10k 55w is probably brighter than an 8k 35w.

I also need to figure out if a 5K bulb's washout due to the wattage is going to change the pure white color of the output... because the step down from that temp is yellow, and I can't do yellow tinted lights... I imagine washing out a "white" bulb shouldn't matter because it's already white, but I'm uncertain.

Last edited:
So, is there anywhere that I can buy just the projector? I already have an HID kit, so all I need is a projector housing to go with it.

BTW, I tested my high beam out by riding through the local National Park during the day, and it light up the road signs like they were Christmas trees!

Last edited:
I havn't seen a place where you can just buy a projector yet...

I'm still deciding 8K 35w Vs. 10K 55w for my low and 5K 55w Vs. 6k 55W for the hi, so I'm still digging around the related field. I'll PM you if I see anything about a projector-only kit.

I havn't seen a place where you can just buy a projector yet...

I'm still deciding 8K 35w Vs. 10K 55w for my low and 5K 55w Vs. 6k 55W for the hi, so I'm still digging around the related field. I'll PM you if I see anything about a projector-only kit.

Cool, thanks.

i'll build you a headlight, guy. and you want 4300k lighting, best output, and the least glare.

Back