Lets Talk HID Projector Retrofit.

OK
I know the latest thing is Halo Angel Eyes fancy purteeeee green, blue, red LED rings around the headlight. As I am over the age of 40 that look just doesnt fit me we wont get into that.
I need feedback on projector lens. A lot of folks are buying HID bulbs and ballast to put into there Busas to get more output of lighting... The problem with this is the bulb is designed to projected through a Projector lens to keep the light pattern tight on the road not blinding the oncoming traffic. Using an HID bulb in a halogen housing is not only illegal buyt dangerous. No I am not the popo and nor do I pretend nor want to be one. Lately it has been really pi ssing me off with on coming cars with there HID's just blaring in my eyes and I imagine what my 55watts do to others when I am on the bike.
Doing some reading on projectors and why people retrofit them into there cars and motorcycles is to get the sharp cutoff lines and put the light where it needs to be, ON THE ROAD not scattered all over bliding others.

Have you transferred over to a projector style lens?
Which make and model did you go with?
Have you had any issues out of it?

Projectors also have vastly improved performance over stock halogens. HID bulbs are roughly three times brighter than standard halogens which means far more illumination of the road. However, because they are so bright, it is difficult to harness their power to both direct it towards the road where it belongs, and not blind oncoming traffic. Projectors are specifically made to do just this. Projectors shape and focus the intense light from the HID's while preventing it from being directed upwards, into the eyes of other motorists. The projectors create a wide even light that puts halogens to shame. Plus, with a sharp level cutoff , they are safe and courteous for other drivers while being efficient and not wasting light by shining it where it is not needed the way halogens do.

Has anyone used this company?
HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

im interested in this as well. are there any high end kits for a gen I or gen II. I see a lot of JUNK out there with corny looking halo's and leds like yankee stated and I have zero interest in that.

I dont mind paying more for a quality kit. I was lookn to put a PIAA HID kit in mine to see if it was any better then the one I have but I only want it in a projector lens.

retrofitsources was the only one I could find either. was wondering if there were other?

Ive been doing a lot of research lately on projectors.. Seems Retrofit is where most guys go on other forums that are into qaulity HID/Projectors products. I am thinking of going with the Morimito HI Mini as well.
Seems the cheapo kits off of ebay have poor qaulity lens which in result doesnt give a sharp cut off line as to the better qaulity in house tuned lens.
I like that stage III kit but I am not wanting to go with all the components. I just need to the projector assembly and large enough shround to cover my cut out hole I made in the headlamp.
That is a great kit for someone who is wanting to switch over to HID..

Removing the clear lens from the headlamp assembly was cake its not bad at all, I first tried a heat gun and it took to much effort, then I placed it in an oven set at 200f for 10 minutes and woooooooo lahh came right apart.

This is on my mod list too.
After doing alot reading also it seems that removing the chrome(soak in warm water with drain cleaner that has sodium hydroxide, chrome will come off on it's own) from the inner housing and painting it flat or matte black is needed. This will prevent glare from the clear headlight lense from reflecting on the chrome and scattering the beam.

I came across that site a lil while ago and have been wanting to do it but I wanted to get some feedback on how hard the install was and how it performs. I dont think the price is too bad considering how much an HID kit cost and those crappy HALO kits

The Morimoto H1 arrived last week from the retrofit source. Overall qaulity opinion, well on the plus notes the lens qaulity is good castings are average but I didnt like that the mini gatlin shroud had a different bolt pattern then the projector assembly, I had to make some tabs to secure the housing to the projector.
Removing the chrome finish from the OEM housing was a timely adventure, I would say it soaked on draino for about 4 hours with 30 minute cycles of inspection. The housing was painted white (of course extra 3 HP) with a splash white pearl top coat. I will say this, this project has been very time consuming and isnt a project thinking your going to do it in 3 hours. Lots of dremeling, epoxy filling, curing, sanding, molding to get it to fit and look OEM.
So whats going on is the Morimoto H1 being fitting in for the 55Watt low beam and I am using a little larger and better qaulity projector lens fitted to a modified OEM high beam projector housing allowing 100% light to pass through.

I have noticed that the H1 Projector beam is very sharp and clear with a very clean cut off line compared to the OEM high beam, I am working on adapting some inner shields to get the beam projection I am looking for on Hi beam.

This project has turned in to 2 rooms the garage and kitchen. Thank god I am not married.

2013-01-14_15-03-08_172.jpg

2013-01-17_10-53-18_760.jpg

2013-01-17_10-53-40_460.jpg

And what does this have to do with guns :laugh: I like the white ring, but not the ring of white dots.

im interested in this as well. are there any high end kits for a gen I or gen II. I see a lot of JUNK out there with corny looking halo's and leds like yankee stated and I have zero interest in that.

I dont mind paying more for a quality kit. I was lookn to put a PIAA HID kit in mine to see if it was any better then the one I have but I only want it in a projector lens.

retrofitsources was the only one I could find either. was wondering if there were other?

Holy Chit 108.00 HID bulb? I am in the wrong buisness!!
Doesnt do any good if your not using a high qaulity lens to focus that beam thru. Its kind of like throwing a set of 24" wheels on a POS car.
Seems the retrofit source is the main person in the projector game. I will say YES it throws a sharp focused beam!
It seems when buying an HID bulb is to focus on the base of the bulb and qaulity. GE is supposed to make the best HID bulb and as far as projectors there are many out there, starting at the poor cloudy lens chinko made ebay brands ones are selling in a kit for over 100.00 because they have the purtee 10.00 led ring around them or ya can go with a projector from a German car such as Mercedes.
Either way, its a lot of modifying when you choose this route. I have read there minimal modifying kits but ya get the fast and furious LED halo but poor qaulity lens and not a non tuned housing. :dunno: I dunno I didnt go that route I am trying to build my own with the best beam projection I can fit in.

Hey lankey thank you for showing me............think I'm gonna pass on that mod :laugh:

Ohhh come on and jump on the projector mod!
In all honesty I dont think it would be to bad. I just hacked a 3.7" hole in my housing to try and fit a Maxima projector assembly to find out that its to long and wouldnt clear my gauge cluster:banghead:
I honestly dont think it would be a hard mod if you started out with the H1 and just trimmed the OEM bulb housing a little. I just hacked and now I am filling in and re shaping. Live and learn. Modifying is never a simple process.

Ohhh come on and jump on the projector mod!
In all honesty I dont think it would be to bad. I just hacked a 3.7" hole in my housing to try and fit a Maxima projector assembly to find out that its to long and wouldnt clear my gauge cluster:banghead:
I honestly dont think it would be a hard mod if you started out with the H1 and just trimmed the OEM bulb housing a little. I just hacked and now I am filling in and re shaping. Live and learn. Modifying is never a simple process.

Thanks but no thanks :laugh: Looks like grey hairs waiting to happen:whistle:

looks good! I Like the idea of modifying the high beam to sit differently. i did this mod at the start of summer and after riding with the HI beam stock i will be pulling mine back apart and changing the Hi-beam projector.

looks good! I Like the idea of modifying the high beam to sit differently. i did this mod at the start of summer and after riding with the HI beam stock i will be pulling mine back apart and changing the Hi-beam projector.

You have to shim the OEM Hi-beam if you want it to be useful with the non projector HID low beam.

With mine I set the low beam pattern just a little lower then the hi-beam to where now when I turn the hi-beam on its not up 100 feet in the trees.

Back