Hi roller, hi rider what do you call it?

thebbbusa

Donating Member
Registered
So the family and I are cruising down the highway the other day and we come up on this early '70 Olds Cutlass.  As we get closer I think WTF? What am I seeing here!

Sorry for the picture quality, as I was trying to take these pics while driving...and the vid sucks too, but you get the point.

I have always been a fan of the custom lowrider set, but this I've never seen in person, it's pretty neat!  I really like all custom cars and can appreciate the effort involved in the work.

Lowering a car is pretty easy, I have no idea how they get these cars up this high with a decent ride.  I was around this car for about 45 min down the freeway, and they seemed to have a decent ride quality.  Anyway, I thought I'd share the latest in car customization.  Since it's the opposite of a lowrider, I guess I'll call it a highrider!

What is that up ahead?
hiroller1.jpg

LOOK, it's got more ground clearance than that Dodge Ram!
hiroller2.jpg

In my mirror...
hiroller3.jpg

Here's a brief vid as we drove past.  Bad bad quality.  The audio you hear is from the wife and kid watching Annie.  (Don't laugh)

<embed width="800" height="600" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://s110.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/thebbbrain/Oddities/hiroller.flv"></embed>

Those DUBs had to be at 28"!!!

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: "Fixed pics and movie"|1154305943 -->

It didn't appear to be a car on truck frame, it appeared to be the Cutlass frame. The rear suspension wasn't your leaf springs like on a truck.

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: "Fixed pics and made movie bigger"|1154305322 -->

only in the Dirty souf will you see a old classic laid out on twanky 6's like that.

it takes a lot of work to do that the right way, most of these idiots put rubber spacers in the springs while the car is jacked up.

Yeah that's how we do it in da Dirty Dirty. There are a lot of cars especially Caprice Classics, Cutlass, ole School Cars that are putting a lift kit on them in order to fit 26's. The lift kits they use are similar to that of what would be put on a 4x4. They look good but on the down side is that the engines in these cars are not strong enough to turn these wheels as well as the suspension.

That's what you're forced to do when you put 26+" rims on a car w/ wheel wells that can maybe handle 19".

You either have to cut/enlarge the wheel wells or jack it up like that making it look ridiculous and horrible for driving as well.

Looks like ass. I'm a gearhead myself and can usually see what the owners see when they customized their cars but this is stupid beyond belief.

It really looks dumb. I'm waiting for some tool to do that to a bike. Think about it, it could happen. Single sided swingarm, 12-30 over arm so the 20-28 rim will clear the tail. Heck, why not up front too? Nah, maybe just an 20 up front, you wouldn't want to get crazy or anything. Maybe spray the bike an orange pearl, err, wait a minute.

the stance is cool, but the wheels are retarted looking!! put some regular 15" wheels on it with bigs tires and then it's good to go.

floating on huge rims............. boy does that look freaking stupid. if they wanted a 4x4 buy a truck with a lift kit

Pretty soon, they will realize that they can go higher will a truck frame and big offroad tires.

There is a classic Monte Carlo running around STL on 26" rims. I don't like the look myself. Getting the proper stance is one the most important things for the appearance os a vehicle. That isn't it. I guess some people just think bigger is better.

Back