"Here he comes,

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
"... he's a movie in May..."

um... looks MUCH BETTER than I imagined it could be.

Old:

New:

mach5.jpg

Who else enjoyed this goofy cartoon as a kid?

OOPS! MODS Please move to RANDOM

Last edited by a moderator:
man do NONE of you remember the original show? ? It wasn't rocket science, just car racing fun

We also had that cartoon series here in Spain in the early seventies, called here "Meteoro". Being myself the eldest of my brothers and sisters, I felt more identified with Racer Boy brother, way cooler, and who saved his ass often.
meteoro.jpg

Regarding the car, it always reminded me the 1958 Ferrari 250 Testarossa with a spike on the radiator scoop.
ferrari-250-testa-rossa-1.jpg

Being a Matrix and Wachowski brothers fan, I hope the movie is not overly cheesy for the obvious kids target audience. Visuals look good...

The driving action scenes look entirely took fake for me to enjoy this movie. I'd prefer they went for something less "exciting" in favor of realism... cause if I feel like I'm watching a cartoon I won't be able to get into it.

"Speed" was probably part of the reason I started racing cars so young, although I never figured out all the letters on the steering wheel...........
super.gif

I remember that cartoon when I was a kid...still to this day looks stupid to me. I have to go with Bitabur on this one, the race scenes just look too fake. Actually I'd have to say they look cheaply made, even with the sci-fi racetracks they could of made it look more realistic.

Trixie was his girlfriend and wasnt the monkey named something like JimJim, then there was Dad, they could get the dad from OCC choppers to be that guy.... I loved speed racer when I was a kid, I still know all the words to the song from above.....

Ya know guys its hard to have a realistic car chase when the car has springs and can jump out of danger... I'm not sure but I think they are leaving some of the imagination for the kids and not so much aimed at us for the realism...

Cap

Sprittle and Chim Chim.........Now that was a duo

Cartoon was great. Always had a good story line.

Can't wait for the movie.

As mentioned above, it would be kinnda hard to keep it real. The mach-5 was one of a kind

The Car

Mach 5 Steering Wheel Hub
Sparky repairing the Mach-5
Spritle & Chim-ChimMain article: Mach 5
Mach 5, the car Speed Racer drove in the series (known as the "Mach Go", or simply the "Mach" in the Japanese version), is a technological marvel containing useful pieces of equipment. These gadgets were easily deployed by pressing buttons marked 'A' through 'G' on the steering wheel hub. There was another button, marked 'H', mounted in the console.

The buttons had the following functions:

Button A (Auto Jacks): "Releases powerful jacks to boost the car so anyone can quickly make any necessary repairs or adjustments."￾ Although not designed for this function, the auto jacks can also be used to "jump"￾ the car short distances at high speeds. The "chyock chyock" sound effect played whenever the car jumped through the air is instantly recognizable to the show's fans.
Button B (Belt Tires): Toggles special grip tires for traction over rough terrain (firm, icy, or unsteady ground, ocean floor, vertical mountainsides). At the same time, 5,000 horsepower is distributed equally to each wheel by auxiliary engines.
Button C (Cutters): For use traveling over heavily wooded terrain. A matched pair of powerful rotary saws protrude from the front of the Mach 5 to cut away many obstacles.
Button D (Deflector): Releases a powerful transparent cover which seals the cockpit into an air-tight chamber. The cover is bullet- and crash-proof. The cockpit becomes a water-tight chamber which then allows the car to be completely submerged under water.
Button E * ("Evening Eye"): Controls special illumination lights "which can be controlled singularly or in tandem", allowing the driver to see more clearly than with ordinary headlights. When used with the "night shades"￾ attached to Speed's helmet, his vision is enhanced with infrared light. The original Japanese version strictly translates this as "illuminating eyes".
Button E was later modified to activate mini-wings that would slide out from under the car to assist Speed in long jumps.
Button F (Frogger mode): Used when the Mach 5 is submerged. An oxygen canister supplies the cockpit with breathable air. A periscope can then be raised to scan the surface of the water. Everything viewed is relayed to a video screen inside the Mach 5's cockpit. The 100-pound auxiliary supply of oxygen is enough to last for thirty minutes.
Button G (Gizmo Rocket): Releases a flying, gull-shaped "homing robot" from under the hood of the car.
Button H (Home): Mounted in the center console with the rest of the controls for the homing robot, this button sends the homing robot back to the Racer house.
Extra Button: Pops, in one episode, put an extra button in the car that makes it glide short distances.

Back