I threw out my faith in CG

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
At what point in time does a movie become just a 'Cartoon' when a vast majority of it is Computer Generated? Call me 'old school' but there is something pure and more realistic in movies that use models and real physics and lighting over things done in CG [Computer Graphics]. I'm not against CG at all, but I am getting bored of it. I see two basic levels of CG in movies not counting the full blown cartoons like Toy Story:
1) reality enhancement creating better art in a live action movies like skys or backdrops in Forrest Gump where CG replaces matt paintings for even more realism, or creating things that are just too dangerous or expensive to make
2) films that rely on CG for EVERYTHING just because it's easier or cheaper now. EX: most Star Trek TV spinoffs
Anyone else tired of boring computerized footage reaplacing live actors or scale models??
I liked the LOTR movies but they are also a good example of it. CG was needed to create locations that don't exist, and shrink people and such but is there a percentage where the studio should call it a cartoon since it is all drawn and not real? Isn't that what a cartoon is? Heck, they use CG for most cartoons now anyway. And when they are showing those long CG pan shots of large areas of land, why must they ALWAYS do a 'flyby' helicopter like pan PROOVING the existance of "3D"?? It's like a standard in the graphics world: if you can do it, DO IT, reguardless of the cinematagraphers visions - if its a long surface shot move and pan to SHOW OFF the amazing 3D landscape. Zoom ins are fine, they usually feed the plot somehow. And WHY put "lens flare" in a CG shot at all? How does THAT add realism when real lens flare is a negative by product that most directors would want to remove? Add to that video games that have lens flare... when was the last time you looked at the sun and saw cascading lens reflections in your eye? Realism out the door.. they do it because they figured out how to do it. Whoopee-woo. I know, I know, in the future everything will be CG and no more models will be built and they will improve the lighting and physics, but until it is perfect I'll still notice it and feel a littel let down by the lack of effort for whoever clicks the 'Compile scene' button on their SuperXG-MAC instead of hiring a team of model builders.
... I also remember a dude at my recording studio saying digital music will never sound as good as analog.
... I also remember a guy at my work saying phone lines will never physically support more than 9600 baud.
Man, I complain alot don't I?

As a CG artist myself, I enjoy watching CG art progress in movies, as come from movies like T2 and The Abyss to movies like the Matrix. CG is the way things are going because (not because its cheaper) its safer, and more flexible. There are some things you just cannot do in real life that are not possible. Anyone with a computer that has a 500mhz processor and 256 mb of ram can make everything they see in any movie.

And YES you do seem to bitch alot
laugh.gif
j/k

I used to live in West Des Moine, I know how it is. I understand

I dont care for CG in cartoons either, in some movies its a little rediculous, like suspending a flying kick in midair for a few seconds? I dont get it? it just takes away from any realism and turns it into a science fiction movie. I like it in star wars and stuff though, toy story, bugs life, ice age and even schrek....

yeah, man. The Matrix did the flying kick once and now everybody copies it. um..... YAWNER!! I love CG when placed right - like it's PART of the movie and not THE MOVIE for CG sake. Ya know, I didn't even notice if there was a plot in STAR WARS Ep. 1 because of ALL the eye candy. And The Abyss is my #1 favorite movie of all time. It was ground breaking. And Terminators? Oh yeah! And all CG served the plot.
I think what I'm getting at, is when a movie ends up being like 85% CG, I think it should be billed as a cartoon since most of it is 'drawn' instead of filmed. Make sense? I loved Final Fantasy and what it did - when they perfect the people's movments, we won't need actors/actresses anymore. ba-de ba-de ba-de ba-dea That's all folks!
I just get bored seeing computer rendered spaceships. There needs to be MORE imperfections in them, and darken it all up - we don't need to see dark gray on the backside of the ship, just black it out altogether like it would look on film.
Oh well, we've come along way from people standing infront of projected movie screens as backgrounds. I should be greatful!
smile.gif

Shreck didn't touch me for some reason. That's one that could have been acted out live instead and maybe been cooler IMHO. I hope the ICE AGE people do alot more stuff

That's another thing, Shoda...  I prefer to see live stunts over CG ones!  very good point.  It's just no fun when you know the scene is fake and the guy falling off the building is a 'cartoon' instead of a real guy.  now, I'd never want someone to get hurt, but those stunt guys rock and REALLY add realism to movies!!!  That is exactly what I mean.  
smile.gif

If the stunts are CG'd it might as well be a cartoon.

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073060676 -->

Back