HELP

GSXcite

Squirrel Master
Donating Member
Registered
I bought a new enclosed trailer and I want to wire it for 120V. I have a Generac 55KW generator that has a 50 amp plug on the front panel. What I want to do is install a plug in on the outside of the trailer so I don't have to run extension cords through the door. I assume I'll need to run the wiring from that female plug to a breaker box, then run the wires to the lights and wall outlets. My question is this. Although I will only be running power to 4 outlets max, and four 4' florecent lights, I may install an AC unit at a later date. What kind of breaker box should I be looking for, and where can I buy one. Do I need a special box for an RV, or will the same box that you use for residential service work. In addition to the 4 lights, the only big thing I'll be using thruogh the wall outlets is a small air compressor. I'm confident in my ability to run the wiring as I have done a little of that type of electrical work, but selecting the main service box is new ground for me. Any help you guys can give me is appreciated!

bump

images.jpg

Go to homedepot they have all sorts of them .Not sure but dont think there is that much differant unless one for an rv has some kind of extraground fault switch built in .

If I recall, if you are going to use the 50amp outlet on the generator, that should be a 220V connector, correct. You should also have 120V ac outlets on the generator as well. Now the generator should already be equiped with protective circuits (breakers, GFI's), however in the future if you plan to hook the trailer up to a service other than the generator (say the house, or service drop at a track) you will not have the protective circuits.

I have not looked at RV a/c to see what voltage they are going to run off, I think the will be 120Vac as well. I know the one on my travel trailer is a 120Vac which requires a 30Amp service.

With that said, if you plan on wiring the trailer up, if you use the 220V you will split the phases at the electrical box. The only problem with this is that you try to balance the phases with the loads, you want them matched as close as possible. In your case I don't know how I would split the circuits up.

Anyway, I could type for hours on the possiblities, if you want to discuss this send me a PM and I will call you. It will take less time...

Thanks, T

I wired up my friends 26' pace with about 7 or 8 outlets, 6-4' flourescent lights and the factory installed A/C. We used a 4/8 circuit box from Home Depot (black plastic box). I believe it had a 60amp main, it could have been 100amp. Wired the circuits in the walls and underneath. Took the feed from the main breaker and ran it underneath towards the front opposite side of the side door and mounted a box with a twist lock receptacle. A special cord was made with two male ends. One twist lock for the trailer end and one for the generator end. They did not have a need for 240 volts so the generator end could be pluged into a regular house outlet for land power. You HAVE to remember to always plug in the trailer first so you are not holding a "hot" prong (that didn't sound right...) in your hand. If you need any help at all please drop me a line.
BTW Ted is correct about balancing the load as best you can. Also I remember an issue with grounding the box. One way constantly triped the generator breaker. I will have to look into that for you.
Bla, bla, bla, bla....
I think I'll stop now.

60 Amp box for 220 volt 2 phase(thats two 120 volt lines) You will need a box that holds at least 4 breakers plus the main (2 outlets on one, 2 outlets on another, 1 outlet for compressor, 1 spare) As long as the box is being mounted inside the trailer you will be fine with a standard residential breaker box. Now for the A/C I would go with a roof top unit from an RV they run on propane, 110 volt, 12 volt!

Also at an RV shop you can pick up a weather tight plug for the outside of the trailer it will have the male end of the plug inside of it which will allow you to run a HD extension cord to it. Just be sure to get one for a 220 volt line that matches the plug on the front of your generator. If your generator doesnt have a 220 plug then get it for 110 volt.

Thanks for the feedback ! You guys are great. I was looking at the specs for the generator last night, and I was incorrect in that it has a 30 amp plug on it not a 50 amp. It does have 220 v as it has two 110v lines, a common and a ground. I don't think I will need 220v in the trailer. My question now is should I use the 30amp plug on the generator and run the wires to a watertight plug on the trailer exterior, then run the wires to a service box and then to the wall outlets and lights? Is there a need or advantage to run the 220v to the service box if I do not have a need for 220v in the trailer? To hook up to the house, do I need to install another watertight plug on the trailer exterior for just 110v or can I use tha same 30 amp exterior watertight plug and only use (1) 110v wire, the common and the ground. Last question, should this dumbazz hire an electrician or just run four extension cords through the door from the generator?
biggrin.gif

Like was said above about balancing the loads. You have 2 legs with 220v. Each wire of the 2 that make up 220v is 110vs each. You cant run all of the outlets and lights on just one of the wires. You have to run the 220v to a breaker box. When you hook up the 220v to the main breakers. It automatically splits every other circuit on opposite legs to balance out the load.
I didnt read all of the posts above, but you are going to want to run an outside twistlock receptacle to power your elec panel also in case you hook up the trailer at a site or at your house or in case the generator is dead for some reason and you still want power in the trailer. To avoid getting into this part deeper you cant have the generator and the outside elec sourse hooked up at the same time. You would ALWAYS have to have either one or the other disconnected. I would think you would want a weather proof breaker box. Not sure if it is a necessity but ..
Also you might want to use BX cable or run the wires in pipe to avoid them getting cut in th trailer if they are out in the open? Just another idea for you. If you were closer I would help you out with the install.
Anything else you need just PM me. Sounds like you already have people helping you out above, just wanted to give you some additional help. Before using someones ideas find out how they know what to do for a fact. ALOT of homeowner electricians start fires so get the facts not just ideas people have heard so you dont end up toasting marshmellows with the bike burning in the trailer etc..

beerchug.gif

I made up this doc real quick so it's not the best but it may help you with laying out the project.

Attachments

• Wiring_for_30amp_install_to_main_panel.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 185
Thanks extreemachine and LABusa. The picture is getting clearer to me now. Still not sure how to this set up would enable me to hook up a regular extension cord to the house 110 VOLT, but I'm beginning to understand the hookup to the generator.
beerchug.gif

Back