Home Electrical issue

Rongotti

Registered
why would the outlets in two different bathrooms go out. IN my master bath the outlet went out a few months ago and I have been shaving in the second bathroom since lol I know I am lazy. So now my second bathroom's outlet has gone out wtf. Neither are the gfci type, I have checked the circuit breaker and flicked it off then back on again still nothing. I took off the cover and loosened the outlet, I was going to replace it but there is like 10 wires back there and I have no idea what I am doing. Any advice? ???

+1 call a electrician...the life you save may be you're own. lol
Posted via Mobile Device

yea there was just an electrical fire on my street 8 houses down like 2 weeks ago gutted the house. Maybe I should :( grrr I hate calling in the cavalry though.

The guy at work just had a house fire too...electrical issues. If you have no clue what to do or look for call a electrician. I would turn the breaker off until someone looks for the short.

I've been replacing the outlets in our house, seems to be a a thing with older homes. Not sure what to tell you about all the wires tho.

Can you post a pic?

If your not comfortable doing it yourself then I would do as others suggested and call an electrician.

Best to call a pro if you don't have a clue on home repair type stuff...especially when its electrical.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO I am sooooooo retarded!!!!!!! So I called an electrician cause you all had me all paranoid and he said it was $80 an hour and would call me back to let me know when he could come out. I called a second electrician to see if $80 an hour was a good price. He asked me what the problem was, then what year my house was built. He said that houses in the 90's had a reset in the garage that the bathrooms were wired to, asked me to go to the garage and push the red button and presto!!!! LMAO I feel like a clown, but if I ever do need an electrician I am definitely calling Moore Electrical :)

I bet that you have a GFI located in your Garage or Kitchen that me be tripped. My GFI's are not in my bathrooms either but in the Garage.

LMAO I am sooooooo retarded!!!!!!! So I called an electrician cause you all had me all paranoid and he said it was $80 an hour and would call me back to let me know when he could come out. I called a second electrician to see if $80 an hour was a good price. He asked me what the problem was, then what year my house was built. He said that houses in the 90's had a reset in the garage that the bathrooms were wired to, asked me to go to the garage and push the red button and presto!!!! LMAO I feel like a clown, but if I ever do need an electrician I am definitely calling Moore Electrical :)

good deal atleast the guy told you over the phone instead of raping you.. nice to see we run into decent companies once in a while

good deal atleast the guy told you over the phone instead of raping you.. nice to see we run into decent companies once in a while

+ 1 the other guy would have come out pushed the button and fumbled around for a couple of hrs and hit you with a good bill. Glad you have good people around. Glad you got it done. Carma will come back to that guy

I bet that you have a GFI located in your Garage or Kitchen that me be tripped. My GFI's are not in my bathrooms either but in the Garage.
you must have posted while I was typing lol

Amen! Word of mouth advertising is the best, I will talk that guy up till kingdom come

+ 1 the other guy would have come out pushed the button and fumbled around for a couple of hrs and hit you with a good bill. Glad you have good people around. Glad you got it done. Carma will come back to that guy

Karma is definitely a B I am a firm believer in that I think good karma will definitely go his way

I know you're a contractor. Why are the GFICs located in the garage ? Just curious. Not up on the latest electrical code.

I know you're a contractor. Why are the GFICs located in the garage ? Just curious. Not up on the latest electrical code.
I am not for sure but I think they do it this way so that it is impossible to reset the circuit close to the water source, this helps deter electrocution.

Had this happen as well, only the outside plugs were controlled through garage GFI ; took forever to figure it out. I went ahead and replaced ALL the GFI "generic" plugs with ones that show a amber led when they are "tripped". No guessing as to if its tripped or not (w/o the fluke that is). Both of my baths are equipped with GFI plugs.
:whistle:
What I can't seem to figure out is why in tarnations do some electricians install plug outlets upside down? i.e.. the ground plug on top. Bothers me to no end as the nightlights, plug-in air fresheners..etc are not designed for this. Thought the builder was being hateful towards us till I seen several other houses the same way? What gives?
No this photo is not upside down..lol

I've been slowly going through the homestead flipping them around.

plug.jpg

probably installed by an electrician that worked mainly commertial buildings ( some places its code to put them that way)the thought is IF they are installed with the grounding ( D hole) down and something was plugged into the outlet and wasnt plugged in tight, and then a metal object fell on top of the cord plugged in and touched the Hot and grounded conductor it could/ would cause and issue.. ( Like at Hospitals ) you wouldnt want to trip a breaker due to a duhhuh . So they go to extremes to make it safe. Usually residentials are placed grounding hole down..

PS yes all Garages are required to be GFCI . Nec 210.8 (?) I think.. anyway Garages and bathrooms are required..

Back