House wiring solutions

Mikey D

Registered
OK folks, what you're looking at is the light switch that operates the ceiling light in what used to be my bedroom closet.  It is now a hallway that leads to the new addition.  The problem is that when I moved the switch from the wall that no longer exists, to the wall that it is on, the wires were too short to put it at it's proper height.  

Note the hole in the wall at the proper height for the switch.  I cannot mount the switch there with an old work box, (you know the kind where you just butch a hole in the sheet rock, push the box in and tighten the screws that make the flaps come out and jam against the backside of the rock) because the medicine cabinet is on the opposite side of the wall and the box won't fit where I cut the hole.

When I moved the box to the other side of the stud, I had to run the wires through a ceiling joist, and down, hence the lack of length.

Also, the switch box is acting as a junction box for the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt) outlet in the bathroom that feeds a string of receptacles, and there are three wires in it.

I don't want to bury a junction box in the wall (where I cannot get at it if something goes hayware) and the lead comming from the bottom is too short to reach the ceiling so I can't put a junction box in the attic (where I could get at it if necessary)

As it is, the thing works, but the switch is too darn high, (see pict of door frame for relative height) and it is awkward to use. I'd like to solve this problem before the walls get taped and textured.

Any bright ideas out there in Busa land?

I don't want to bury a junction box in the wall (where I cannot get at it if something goes hayware) and the lead comming from the bottom is too short to reach the ceiling so I can't put a junction box in the attic (where I could get at it if necessary)
If they catch you burying a box they prolly won't pass you during the inspection. Junction boxes usually have to be accessible.

However, why don't you put a box at the upper height (a shallow or std switch box) and use it as a junction box but put a blockoff plate on it. Then run the wires to the 'real' switch box lower down on the wall. I have a box like this but it's there because I don't have a fan in the b/r, so it doesn't act as a junction box but I still have a block off plate.. no big deal. Who's going to see it other than your wife and the odd mistress you'll bring home??

You follow me??

How much room do you have between the wall and the medicine cabinet? I have seen shallow boxes at Home Depot that might fit.

Put a box in the attic where you ran the wires through the joist, it will be accessible in the attic is you need it and you can extend it from there whatever length you need. You can still run your power to the GFI outlet... Just use a GFI plug and not a breaker and you are good.

Cap

If they catch you burying a box they prolly won't pass you during the inspection.  Junction boxes usually have to be accessible.

However, why don't you put a box at the upper height (a shallow or std switch box) and use it as a junction box but put a blockoff plate on it.   Then run the wires to the 'real' switch box lower down on the wall.  I have a box like this but it's there because I don't have a fan in the b/r, so it doesn't act as a junction box but I still have a block off plate.. no big deal.  Who's going to see it other than your wife and the odd mistress you'll bring home??

You follow me??
I had thought about this. Maybe just hang a picture os something over the cover plate.

Prolly the best way to go.

How much room do you have between the wall and the medicine cabinet?  I have seen shallow boxes at Home Depot that might fit.
Less than an inch between the back of the cabinet and the inside of the rock.

Unfourtunately no room for a shallow box
sad.gif

Put a box in the attic where you ran the wires through the joist, it will be accessible in the attic is you need it and you can extend it from there whatever length you need. You can still run your power to the GFI outlet... Just use a GFI plug and not a breaker and you are good.

Cap
This is what I'd like to do but one of the leads is coming from below and will not reach to the attic.

Hense the need for a junction box int he wall.

Ahh well.

Can you hook a new longer wire to the original and pull it back to the start. Make sure your splice between old and new is looped and taped well also all three wires should be the same after the splice as to avoid more stress on one lead than the other.

biggrin.gif

Can you hook a new longer wire to the original and pull it back to the start. Make sure your splice between old and new is looped and taped well also all three wires should be the same after the splice as to avoid more stress on one lead than the other.

biggrin.gif
Good idea, I'll check. I believe it runs to the bathroom outlet.

mikey , i dont see any pics so im kinda guessing distances here but how about a wall sconce. use a 4 inch box ( instead of a 2")at the upper height where you can access the wiring and run your wires to where you need and use a light fixture to cover the box .the power is right there and you can chase a switch for the light and wire it at proper height.

mikey , i dont see any pics so im kinda guessing distances here but how about a wall sconce. use a 4 inch box ( instead of a 2")at the upper height where you can access the wiring and run your wires to where you need and use a light fixture to cover the box .the power is right there and you can chase a switch  for the light and wire it at proper height.
Pict is gone!

WTF?!?

Here it is again...

HP that is an awesome idea!

Thank you!

I knew I hang around here for a reason!

Light_Switch.JPG

So HP,
I tell my wifey your cool idea and she says, "That's what I did at my old house in the garage."

Ain't communication a wonderful thing! External Links Missing

Back