buying a house, it's got a huge garage, thoughts?

A bead blast cabinet, parts washer, wire wheel, drill press, big and sturdy work bench with a vice, and a bigger tool box than whatever you have.
A mig welder and cutting torch.

And a 100lb heavy bag and a speed bag are always nice to have too.

If its a single garage, a double, triple or a warehouse, there's one thing I always insist on.

A separate shed or garage for every one else's crap.
I put a dividing wall in mine and a separate door.
Push bikes, mowers, ladders, kids and everyone else's junk and household stuff stay out of my area.

Everything stays where I put it, nothing gets moved or borrowed,
im never moving or climbing over the stuff that others have put there.
My side has better "security" and stays locked.

What ever size building this works for me.

You don't need a family's trash in your workshop / man cave.

A TV, couch and fridge..because you may be living out there!

A 60" flat screen and a bar!

it's at least 25 feet from floor to ceiling, so a two post lift (with the height extension so i don't have to duck in my own damn garage) is going to happen. it's just gonna. what else does the ultimate garage/man cave need? white epoxy flooring, a big ass light (they're actually by a company called big ass fans), and a large air compressor with lines and fittings that go to the wall are also gonna happen. beyond those, what else does it need?

Congrats!

I wouldn't do white floors - unless you plan to spend a ton of time keeping them clean. Go with grey; doesn't show dirt as easily. +1 on the mezzanine- use the vertical height to your advantage and put storage up there...an office, etc. My dream shop would have one of those Big Ass Fans and lights. LOL

Man, you guys are forgetting one important piece of equipment. A Nomar tire changer! Along with a balancer of course.

Agreed 100% Need a floor drain even if you don't have running water. Unless you NEVER get rain or snow on your vehicles.

If I had the $$$$$ I would tear out my floor and put a drain in it as my garage stays above freezing all year long and a snow covered
vehicle brought in will be stripped of the snow and the water and salt will be on the floor. But if I had a drain............

So if it's already built and you can't change it now - it's water under the bridge. Should have asked for advice BEFORE it was built. :laugh:

Other things:

How about a stereo with the speaker wires hid behind the walls if they are not up yet.
Gas line for heating?
Screens for the big doors to keep the bugs out but still let in a breeze?
3 phase electrical? I assume 120 and 240 are there now?
Is there a bathroom connected to the garage or in the garage area? Easier clean up and if you have to go.....
Tire changing area? Bike lift?

ETC.
a floor drain would be sweet, but it's already built. Stereo will be an old boombox for the time being, but when the home theater gets upgraded, the bose will go in the garage. gas line is there, as is the water heater, so a utility sink is going to happen, as is a gas heater for the garage. there's space for a 240v in the electrical box with finageling for a welding table. it's the pacific northwest, not too many bugs, so when the weather's nice, i'll just leave the door open. the bathroom is at the top of the stairs right off the kitchen. no tire changing area, no bike lift, yet.

A bead blast cabinet, parts washer, wire wheel, drill press, big and sturdy work bench with a vice, and a bigger tool box than whatever you have.
A mig welder and cutting torch.

And a 100lb heavy bag and a speed bag are always nice to have too.

i want all of those, hahaha. my tool box game is on point though, i'd have to spend another couple g's on tools before its actually full. snap on roll cab and tool cart, with air tools. i used to have a job where i used them, now they just languish away between projects. speed bag and heavy bag are in the gym above the hangar i work at.

If its a single garage, a double, triple or a warehouse, there's one thing I always insist on.

A separate shed or garage for every one else's crap.
I put a dividing wall in mine and a separate door.
Push bikes, mowers, ladders, kids and everyone else's junk and household stuff stay out of my area.

Everything stays where I put it, nothing gets moved or borrowed,
im never moving or climbing over the stuff that others have put there.
My side has better "security" and stays locked.

What ever size building this works for me.

You don't need a family's trash in your workshop / man cave.

it's a double, but bikes will be hung up on the walls and the mower has a little cabinet below the stairs. very small patch of grass, it's mostly native vegetation in the front and back. i'm cool with that though, less time mowing, more time doing other manly stuff. also, no kids, so no one will be dumping anything in my second home.

Congrats!

I wouldn't do white floors - unless you plan to spend a ton of time keeping them clean. Go with grey; doesn't show dirt as easily. +1 on the mezzanine- use the vertical height to your advantage and put storage up there...an office, etc. My dream shop would have one of those Big Ass Fans and lights. LOL

white floors will help reflect the light up on the underside of the car on the lift so i'm not wrangling drop lights all the time, and it's nearly impossible to lose a screw, nut, or bolt on a white floor. besides, white bike, white car, it's kinda my thing. the mezzanine i'm considering putting above the door. at least some storage space so it's not just a big empty waste. and i've already priced out the big ass lights. again, it's the pacific northwest, it doesn't get that hot here.

Man, you guys are forgetting one important piece of equipment. A Nomar tire changer! Alonwith a balancer of course.

i want a tire changer, that's something i hadn't thought of.

and i'm an idiot and forgot to take a picture. the inspector dude was giving me tips and ideas to redo the garage.

If you want a tire changer, look for a deal on a used car tire changer(as they are usually much cheaper), as many of them will also change bike tires(check and make sure first obviously).
We always use the car tire changer at a friend's shop for our bike tires. We balance them on a static balancer from Redline. It works excellent, and of the countless tires done, not one has ever had a vibration or any issue, even at top speed.

And...Congratulations! You have a huge garage! That's awesome.

Your is finished so does not matter but I put 6' florescent lights in the wall. Makes it nice doing body work or just detailing.

Agreed 100% Need a floor drain even if you don't have running water. Unless you NEVER get rain or snow on your vehicles.

If my bikes get wet, I park them just inside the doors for a while.
The slab has enough fall back towards the door to drain that way.

If it snows..... I'll pack my bags and move! Seriously!

Congrats brother. My wife and I are about to make a move to the Pheonix/Chandler area and look into buying. Oh and for my .02 on garage needs....

A fridge for the beer, or whatever.

Back