Help Battery Drain

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
I have a 2004 GT. Bought her in late 2010. I have to experienced a battery drain. Finally developed a bad cell or two in the battery and just put in a new battery and don't want to lose another. This car came with a python alarm and an Varad Underglow kit. There is one set of hot/ground wires going to the post on this battery with a inline fuse. I was told from the seller she drains pretty frequently and I have certainly confirmed that. I'm not good with electronics so I need your thoughts. I have the original simple Ford remote to lock and unlock and pop the trunk when I remove the fuse and ultimately the Python remote/alarm system. However, I'd rather use the nice remote for the python. If I remove the fuse which is in the set of ground/hot wires to the battery terminals, I loose my python alarm and the Varad underglow. So, it must have been tied "both underglow and alarm" under the dash since there is only a single red/black to the battery post with the fuse. I'm told by Car Toys that it's common to loose a battery in just two to three days if you don't start the car because there is always a drain with these type aftermarket devices. I feel that is way to soon. What would you do or have you done in this situation. My car only has 12,000miles on her and is showroom clean and I'm very picky and want it done right and not to have some half arse stuff going on. Please let me know if this is common and how would you take care of it? Toggle? or is there a real underlying problem or concern. Thanks much!

First I was like "what GT is it? Mustang? 3000?" Then, ohhhh....its THAT GT. Id pull it all out and have it reinstalled or replaced by something that won't kill the battery. I guessing its not your daily driver, probly won't see rain,,so 3 days unstarted will be pretty common.
Lights and alarms are nice,, but having your fancy sports car jumped by a Kia, not so sweet. :lol:

Smellphone via Forum Runner

Is CAR TOYS an audio/video install shop? Asking because when my truck had this problem, my local a/v shop was able to trouble shoot the cause and come up with a fix (my truck can now sit for weeks and have zero battery drain issues). Sorry, I do not know the fancy electrical term for the fix

It is Car Toys AV shop! Never had work done there but I'm leary of shops trying to do the stealership thingy and take me for hundreds. But, I may take it in and trust them for one time.

Oh, I thought it was a Ford GT, I don't wanna help you anymore. Boo mustangs :rofl:

Don't guess what the problem is trouble shoot it. Put an amp/volt meter between the positive wire and the post of the battery. With the key off read how many amps are being pulled. Pull fuses to find what is draining the battery. most of the time you will find the problem. Security systems should not drain the battery, most times it's the stereo amps we fore got to tell people about... I re-wired my amp and now all is well...

OK Dadie O, here is a pic. Car is actually my son's. We have had a Tender on her but not constantly.

Mustang GT Detailed May 2011 014 (Custom).JPG

I can borrow a meter from my neighbor but this will be a 1st for me. I'll ask him for a little help and run these test. Sounds like a great ideal to me! Thanks

Good lookin car, but I must ask, please, please pull those lights off! They scream Rice, and that's coming from a Subaru driver. :laugh:

Either way, good luck and make sure junior doesnt get himself.in trouble with it. :whistle:

Plus one on the under car neon look,, 1992 called and said they have a recall send em back NOW! Do you also have one of them Fast and Furious Neon License Plate Frames that glow so Purty?
Please kill the under glow there are Mustangs sticking there head in the sand with embarrassment.

Holy shid............... I didn't think about it as I have never had any of the funky monkey lights. They are against the law and especially that color. Police does not care for them at all and he does not run them and knows better. So, I guess I could go ahead and pull em. This was purchased from an Army Officer and he seemed very proud of em. My son does not care one way or another so since the ORG has spoken I'll get em off there and eliminate one of the possibilities. One bulb or underglow light is blown anyways. :laugh: This 04 only has 12,000 miles on her and 9,000 when I bought it in Oct 2010.

Skywalker said:
Holy shid............... I didn't think about it as I have never had any of the funky monkey lights. They are against the law and especially that color. Police does not care for them at all and he does not run them and knows better. So, I guess I could go ahead and pull em. This was purchased from an Army Officer and he seemed very proud of em. My son does not care one way or another so since the ORG has spoken I'll get em off there and eliminate one of the possibilities. One bulb or underglow light is blown anyways. :laugh: This 04 only has 12,000 miles on her and 9,000 when I bought it in Oct 2010.

Yay!
He'll be better at the cruise ins now, they'd pick on those lights like no tomorrow. :lol:

Well, no more glow lights or underbody I guess you would call them. I removed every last wire and no more drain on the battery. Now I don't have to worry about him getting a ticket either. Good to go! :thumbsup:

OK Dadie O, here is a pic. Car is actually my son's. We have had a Tender on her but not constantly.
I see the problem already. Quit parking at McDonalds all night with the stereo thumping and the neons blazing :poke: Alarm systems will drain a battery, but you've been given excellent advice on troubleshooting the problem.

Well, no more glow lights or underbody I guess you would call them. I removed every last wire and no more drain on the battery. Now I don't have to worry about him getting a ticket either. Good to go! :thumbsup:

Dayum I'm good :rofl:

Back