The Battery Saga

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Buy car.Later car needs new battery.Go to local parts house,no battery,DEALER ONLY ITEM.:banghead:
Go to dealer pay 207.oo for battery. 8 months later,battery refuses to start car.Car was parkd in heated shop for 2 weeks. Call dealer,they say have car towed in (at my expense)...have car diagnosed by their tech (my cost of course):banghead: IF it turns out to be battery,they will gladly replace it...

on a "pro-rated" scale...of course.:banghead:

So, 207.oo for battery
125.oo for tow
75.oo for tech
pro rated refund. I tell them in true RSD fashion to go get...well,you know the rest.

Rubb takes tools in hand.Remove cover from battery,discover its an Interstate battery. Cool. there is an Interstate shop just down the road.
Go into shop.Ask if they can warrantee.Nope. Ask for new battery. Out comes their catalog. Guess what,DEALER ONLY ITEM. :banghead: They cant sell me a fresh one. So Rubb gets sold a skookum charger for 85.oo bucks.

I have time,gas money and 302.oo dollars invested in a battery for a 10 year old car. :banghead:

Rubb goes out to shop,puts batt on charge...:please:

I'll keep you posted...the saga continues...

RSD.

For a 10 year old car they are telling you dealer only??? WTH thats messed up...

I would find a way to retrofit another battery. Something doesn't seem right.

I would also file a complaint with the BBB on that dealership, that almost always gets their attetnion.

just what kinda car/truck is this anyway so i will know to stay far away from one...:poke:

just what kinda car/truck is this anyway so i will know to stay far away from one...:poke:

2001 Audi TT Roadster convertible.

When I bought it it had 24,000 miles. Now it has about 30,000 miles.

Gettin' to be some expensive miles.:laugh:

RSD.

Optima ... only batteries I have ever used in my sport compacts ... between track time and a buddies car audio sound off I still have one that is currently in my little brothers car ... 8 years old and still kicking.

for your car quoted from their site

RedTop: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.

YellowTop: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators.

2 Parts Found
Group # Description
35 (8020-164) RedTop®; Battery;
D35 (8040-218) YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery;

Red Top Battery

Yellow Top Battery

I have always used the yellow tops. :beerchug:

Hope you can get your kicking without dumping more money though ???

Last edited:
When it all started I should have got off my lazy azz and just put in my own set-up.

Lazy = cha ching $

Rubb.

I feel your pain. I had the same thing happen to me with a Merc ML320. Nobody would sell me a battery, dealer only because of the way it was secured. Optima Red Top and a rubber battery strap solved my problem.

Thanks guys....and...

"Houston we have ignition."

Now I'm gonna go out and run the fug out of it. Show it some of my pain.:rulez:

Catch you boyz later.

RSD.

i'm an audi tech rsd, just use a damn optima. make sure the cold cranking amps are high enough to start your car. also, i'd say to check for parasitic drain. cut everything off with an amp probe attached to the positive terminal in the battery, see if there's an amperage reading with the key off, ignition off, doors closed, lights off, etc. if there is, something is on that shouldn't be, if not, they're selling you old crappy batteries. seriously tho, the 2001's don't ask for a serial number when you change the battery, so you're good with an aftermarket battery. just fab a holder and you're good.

autozone all the way:rofl: One in my camaro made it 11 years including being completely drained from stereo and one winter real bad setting up my air ride suspension running the compressor constantly...Was welding up some pipe for a buddy and accidently put the hot end against the batt sitting on the bench and killed it:whistle: Saddest day of my life, and it was a cheap autozone none the less not even the gold lol

i'm an audi tech rsd, just use a damn optima. make sure the cold cranking amps are high enough to start your car. also, i'd say to check for parasitic drain. cut everything off with an amp probe attached to the positive terminal in the battery, see if there's an amperage reading with the key off, ignition off, doors closed, lights off, etc. if there is, something is on that shouldn't be, if not, they're selling you old crappy batteries. seriously tho, the 2001's don't ask for a serial number when you change the battery, so you're good with an aftermarket battery. just fab a holder and you're good.

Thank you Mr. Audi this is good advice.:thumbsup:

RSD.

Back