Helmets

the_1

Registered
I am looking for a good helmet. Need ur help please. I dont want to over spend on one, but also dont wont to get a cheap one. The main problem im havn right now is alot of wind noise. I just want to avoid if possible ear plugs. I have a AFX right now. I dont know if its a cheaper helmet. Its 1 that my brother in law gave me. Im open to all options. Oh and if u may have a good used 1 let me know.

thanks brad

Seek out Scar's thread on helmets. I asked the same question. I have an Arai Vector it's very noisy. I just bought a Shark RSR2 and it is much quieter. Still not no plugs quiet but the difference is substancial.

They are blowin out Sharks at Moto X Outlet. Ordered mine and the the price dropped 75 bucks days later and the biatch wouldn't honor the new price for me.

dadofthree- I really dont ride all that fast. i mostly ride with harley guys. Thanks for the info pardini. Also sorry they didnt help u out.

I like my HJC. and its cheap. It's cheap and it actually fits good and I have zero complaints. Except for cold air up the frt. when its cold out:laugh:

2792664399_7305f54882.jpg

A decent hemet I keep hearing others talk about are the Scorpions, they are cheaper priced then the big manufactors but still a quality helmet. I don't have one personaly so can not comment on wind noise.

I have a shoei an a Gmax and they both would require ear plugs at high speeds and I don't mean 55 :lol:

I thought I had a real noiseless helmet until I just couldn't do without the plugs on long trips. I think as long as you have 170hp between your legs and your being forced through the air at 70-80 mph or better - well :dunno:

Last edited:
I had a HJC and my Shoei RF1000 just showed up in time for Christmas :cheerleader:

My main reason for the Shoei is I have a bad neck and it's way lighter than the HJC and other buckets I looked at.. and it fits pretty good too.

I've had (in recent history at least) a Shoei RF900, a Shoei RF1000, a Scorpion, a Z1R, and now an Arai Vector.
With helmets, FIT IS EVERYTHING. Find one that truly fits your head, wind noise will be minimized and comfort will be maximized. I thought my RF1000 fit well until I put the Arai on the first time. It is by far the best fitting/feeling helmet I've ever worn. For my head shape at least, not saying it's the one for you. But I still use ear plugs, takes away the distraction of the wind noise and leaves enough motor music for me to tell where I'm at rpm wise.
Shop for fit, pay the $$ required to get the fit. Otherwise it'll always be a source of discomfort in your ride.

A decent hemet I keep hearing others talk about are the Scorpions, they are cheaper priced then the big manufactors but still a quality helmet. I don't have one personaly so can not comment on wind noise.

+1
my last three helmets were scorpion and i have been very happy with them, very good quality and great price! get the exo-700.

I'm a big fan of wearing earplugs. I keep several packs of the EAR foam earplugs in my tankbag at all times. I see you want to avoid wearing them (earplugs), so I would suggest buying a helmet with very few openings. Avoid modular, large vents, etc.

more openings = more seals

Another helper is getting a NOJ Quiet Rider for your helmet. I use both.

I used HJC and Shoei for many years.
Now Shoei is all I use. With all the online discounts they are not too expensive.
I have had to install comm gear in both brands.
The HJC is easier to take apart.
quality of the Shoei seems higher.
Try several brands on and get the one that fits best.
Shoei fits me best and wind noise is lower than the HJC.
I still use ER6 ear phones/plugs.
I like quiet. Another hint, forget about price and get what fits you best. Buy a quality helmet, your head is worth it. :thumbsup:
Good luck.

I'm a big fan of wearing earplugs. I keep several packs of the EAR foam earplugs in my tankbag at all times. I see you want to avoid wearing them (earplugs), so I would suggest buying a helmet with very few openings. Avoid modular, large vents, etc.

more openings = more seals

Another helper is getting a NOJ Quiet Rider for your helmet. I use both.

me too, don't ride without earplugs!:thumbsup:
it helps not hearing all that enging ticking and knocking and rattling!:laugh:

We have Scorpion helmets. I have the Exo -400 and V have the Exo 700. The 700 seems to be a little quieter but both are good.

Back